Can children wear jeans?

Micheller

I agree. I have a pair of sweat pants and a very holey tee shirt that I wear when I clean the basement. I think I'll wear it on my next cruise. I hope you will be sitting at my table to be able to enjoy it with me.

Even the local convenience store has a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" policy. Why should Princess demand more.

Big deal. You got away with it. That certainly makes it the right thing to do.

Whoa! People who let their kids dictate the family rules have bigger problems than what to wear for dinner. Really quite pathetic that some parents feel this way.

In my 22 years of parenthood, I don't think I've ever seen tailored dress pants made of out denim and marketed for children. Doesn't matter. The rule is no jeans, no "smart jeans only".

Honestly, I couldn't care less if people break the rules, but please don't try to insult me by justifying the behavior. If you choose not to follow the rules, at least have the maturity to admit it.

I'm not here to start any controversy but I believe your respone to Fina's post if very unfair. We're here to voice our opinions - not to criticize someone for expressing theirs. First of all, I don't think she had any intention of insulting you and I'm not too sure why you would feel insulted by her opinion. Afterall don't we all go on Cruise Critic to share experiences and our points of view? And I don't think it has anything to do w/ maturity either. I think your comment re: sweat pants is facetious and that is immature in itself!

I'm not here to say that your original comment of "no jeans in the dining room" is wrong - I just view the situation differently and would hope that you would respect my opinion as much as I respect yours.

I agree. I have a pair of sweat pants and a very holey tee shirt that I wear when I clean the basement. I think I'll wear it on my next cruise. I hope you will be sitting at my table to be able to enjoy it with me.

I would enjoy my dinner just as much if there is a person wearing sweat pants sitting beside me. My cruise experience is not dictated by who wears what in the dinning room.

Even the local convenience store has a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" policy. Why should Princess demand more.

Big deal. You got away with it. That certainly makes it the right thing to do.

I didn't "get away with it", you can look just as polish and put together by wearing a halter top and dress pants.

Whoa! People who let their kids dictate the family rules have bigger problems than what to wear for dinner. Really quite pathetic that some parents feel this way.

In my 22 years of parenthood, I don't think I've ever seen tailored dress pants made of out denim and marketed for children. Doesn't matter. The rule is no jeans, no "smart jeans only".

Honestly, I couldn't care less if people break the rules, but please don't try to insult me by justifying the behavior. If you choose not to follow the rules, at least have the maturity to admit it.

I had been on cruise critic for a long time, reading posts and getting great ideas from fellow cruisers. This is a forum to voice your opinion, not for personal attacks.

fina

I had been on cruise critic for a long time, reading posts and getting great ideas from fellow cruisers. This is a forum to voice your opinion, not for personal attacks.

fina

I agree, there should be no personal attacks. I don't think what bj said was ppersonal - just HHO stated in a direct manner.

The OP asked a question - can teens wear jeans in the dining room. The correct and final answer is NO. Then, as someone wittier than me wrote, that is when the proverbial S*i* hit the proverbial fan :D

fina - Believe me when I say, you wouldn't want to sit next to me while I was wearing a halter top and jeans and try to eat dinner. One could choke to death from laughing with their mouth full :)

Dr. Phil where are you........:eek:

I agree, there should be no personal attacks. I don't think what bj said was ppersonal - just HHO stated in a direct manner.

Thank you Northender; I apologize if you were offended, fina.

My position on observing Princess' dress code clearly differs from yours. To each, her own. My vacation time is too precious to me to be the onboard fashion police.

Such an old subject, but cannot help from chiming in...PLEASE, Save the jeans for the dude ranch, smart, dumb or cut off they are still JEANS. It is not the child that should be criticized its the parents. As someone noted above, if they are not in the suitcase its not an issue, leave'm at home. Spoken by a dad of three, 16, 12, 11 and heading on cruise #5. I assure you there will be no jeans on our Christmas cruise.

WOW... thanks for all your opinions on the subject. I was actually referring to my son who is 6 years old when I asked the question. After reading your posts I think I'll be busy buying some Chino's for him to wear in the dining room. At least my daughter who is 9 will be able to wear dresses!!:eek:

What is the big deal? In the Princess booklet, they said halter tops are not allow, but i wore that with dress pants to the dinning room before and never got any comments from the staff.

Evidently the staff are more considerate than you are.

I know that it is not the norm for kids to wear anything but jeans these days, but I have to agree with most of the responses. If you want to take your children on a cruise, and you want to eat in the dining room, then it is time to buy them some other clothes to wear besides denium jeans. Suggested dress code is not just for adults, not just for a choosen few. AND that is why most ships have alternate dining these days, for those that don't care to dress appropriate for the formal dining room.

So, dining room dress for everyone = appropriate dress as suggested by the cruise lines each evening. ;)

I know that it is not the norm for kids to wear anything but jeans these days, but I have to agree with most of the responses.

Toto, my son is 4 and we do not own a pair of jeans. I don't think everyone does the jean thing all the time. Where we live jeans are just not practical. They are too hot in the summer and too cool in the winter. So luckily for me DS can't argue for something or miss something that he has never had. :)

I know that it is not the norm for kids to wear anything but jeans these days, but I have to agree with most of the responses. If you want to take your children on a cruise, and you want to eat in the dining room, then it is time to buy them some other clothes to wear besides denium jeans. Suggested dress code is not just for adults, not just for a choosen few. AND that is why most ships have alternate dining these days, for those that don't care to dress appropriate for the formal dining room.

So, dining room dress for everyone = appropriate dress as suggested by the cruise lines each evening. ;)

True, there are no age specifications included with the suggested dress guidelines

True, there are no age specifications included with the suggested dress guidelines

This is also true. When my son was very small (2 and 3) we did have him wear short pants and a button down shirt on non formal nights. Although shorts are not allowed in the dining room the short pants he wore looked much more formal since he was such a little guy. With the button down shirt, white socks and white leather shoes he looked just fine, even though, technically he was breaking the rules.

Evidently the staff are more considerate than you are.
How am I not considerate with wearing halter top? What is the difference between wearing a halter top and wearing a tank top? Like I said in my previous post, I look more polish and classy wearing a halter top and dress pants then some guy wearing an ugly hawaiian shirt and pants...

This will be the end of me checking and posting on this thread. I am truly discouraged in posting in any thread from now on.:(

fina

fina - there is a way to say something and a "way to say something"
You are being answered because you try and defend every statement.

"In the Princess booklet, they said halter tops are not allow, but i wore that with dress pants to the dinning room before and never got any comments from the staff. " You probably look very nice in that outfit, I am sure the staff did take notice and did not want to comment :D

To "quote" karen2cruz - Considering this is the 7th post form this OP, give her a little slack. I was overwhelmed with all the info in the cruise booklets the first time- makes your head spin! BUT...from the mother of three cruiser kids, now 18, 16 and 13....don't even pack jeans (unless it is an Alsakan cruise and you have an outdoorsy excursion booked.) Hey, they only have to wear nice slacks in the dining room for two hours...the kids can handle it. "

Well, fina has a few more posts under her belt now and finished off this morning with the following

fina - "How am I not considerate with wearing halter top? What is the difference between wearing a halter top and wearing a tank top? Like I said in my previous post, I look more polish and classy wearing a halter top and dress pants then some guy wearing an ugly hawaiian shirt and pants...

This will be the end of me checking and posting on this thread. I am truly discouraged in posting in any thread from now on. "

I am one who is sorry to hear that you feel discouraged about posting again.
Perhaps you could rethink that statement. I am sure you have a lot to contribute. :)

I think what most of us are saying is that we like the dining atmosphere to be one of a classier experience than jeans and halter tops and this is only once a day. We do not bring anything fancy, just nice business classs type wear for the evenings, and dress appropriately for the formal nights. :)

PS. I love Hawaiian and Caribbean type shirts for both men and women ;)

Can I assume that some of the arguments re: what clothing is appropriate to wear in the dinning room has something to do w/ age difference? :confused: I’m a young adult (mid-twenties) and I personally don’t see anything wrong w/ wearing a halter top to dinner. I think you have to look how you wear the top and what you pair it with – heels, a skirt or black pants. There are very many classy halter tops out there – well cut well made pieces that women can wear for dinner in the dining room. I’m sure if many of you had dinner witih me on a cruise you would find that I am very appropriately dressed for the dining room – despite wearing a halter. A halter now adays defines a style, not a specific top (i.e. only for beach or weekend).

My mom is a very conservative and classy woman. On cruises she mainly wears her Chanel suits and similar appropriate attire. She has never complained that my halter tops or halter dresses are inappropriate – she is aware that there is a generation gap and therefore a difference in style. She respects my decision and my choices and knows that I am not offending anyone, nor am I setting myself up to stick out like a sore thumb during dinner. I do believe the guidelines that Princess sets are very appropriate but they should also offer some flexibility for changing times. Afterall, the guideline says that proper attire for women is a blouse but I have yet to see everyone in the dining room wearing one :p .
Nonetheless, we should really end this post since it has somewhat gotten off topic. This post has become a matter of “personal attacks” vs. answering the original question so of “can children wear jeans in the dining room”.

[quote name='fina']How am I not considerate with wearing halter top? What is the difference between wearing a halter top and wearing a tank top? Like I said in my previous post, I look more polish and classy wearing a halter top and dress pants then some guy wearing an ugly hawaiian shirt and pants...

This will be the end of me checking and posting on this thread. I am truly discouraged in posting in any thread from now on.:(

fina[/QUOTE]

You are inconsiderate to your fellow passengers when you do not follow the dress code guidelines. If we follow your line of thinking with the ugly Hawaiian shirt then as long as a person is attractive and physically appealing I suppose they should just where whatever they want. Perhaps your halter looked just fine, but what about the woman whose halter is a little more revealing or whose chest has shifted to her waistline....obviously both of these looks might not be appropriate for the dining room, but now that you are in the dining room wearing your halter how does the staff justify not allowing the other two ladies.

I think by not following the guidelines you make it almost impossible for the staff to keep enforcing them and eventually some other passenger is going to be unhappy. They will not understand why your halter, or jeans, or shorts are different than theirs. :(

[quote name='dosi']Perhaps your halter looked just fine, but what about the woman whose halter is a little more revealing or whose chest has shifted to her waistline[/QUOTE]What about women who wear blouses that are slighty see-through or women who leave too many buttons undone? Should this be classified as "dining room appropriate" JUST b/c Princess classifies a blouse as "proper attire"? I think everything should be within reason - use good judgement people! Afterall, we must have some good judgement b/c we're all cruising!!!! :D

And another point, I think it's unfair to point out those women whose chest has shifted to their waistline - it's not their fault...it's gravity and aging! Hahahaha...=P

The way to solve this debate is just to follow the guidelines which state no jeans and then let your kids go to the buffet or get some pizza for dinner. They don't have to wear pants at all if they really want to avoid it. There's also room service if they don't want to get dressed at all.

My sons dispise wearing pants of any sort. You'd think they were being tortured having to wear them. They still wear tuxes and slacks for dinner for 80% of the nights. The other nights, they eat pizza and salads or burgers and fries and wear their beloved shorts. There ARE options.

I am a stickler for dressing right -- tux or national dress for formal nights.
The slacks that I like the most and is a heck of a lot smarter than Dockers (or its derivatives) is labeled -- Versace Jeans Couture. It is not denim. One is black and the other is Dark Burgundy. I definitely feel that I am complying wiht the dress codes as I wear them to nice restaurants even in SF. If denims are not appropriate, let us say so and not confuse them with the label "Jeans". I agree with Jacqueline./Sultan

Partial Quote:
[quote name='Jacqueline']
BTW Jeans are made of denim- sooo -if they are black or white cotton twill they meet the dress code ![/QUOTE]

Archived