Can children wear jeans?

Micheller

From Princess' Website description of Onboard Attire

Princess has made it easier than ever to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: if dress is Smart Casual, passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home. Appropriate attire includes skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters or blouses for ladies and pants and openneck shirts for men. A jacket and tie is optional. In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times. On Formal nights, appropriate attire includes evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men. Princess offers formal wear rental on all itineraries; this can arranged prior to your cruise.

I so agree that jeans are not acceptable in the dining room. We have been taking our daughter on cruises since she was 8 years old and now she is 15. Not once did she ever, or would she, wear jeans to the dining room. This past summer we were on the Grand cruising the Baltic and I can't tell you how many people we saw in the dining room in jeans. She was shocked by this and so were we. I feel that when you cruise, kids should dress in the same appropriate manner that you would by for the smart casual nights and formal. Granted, we have had to go and purchase a few clothes for these trips, but it has been completely worth it. I feel like I can take my daughter anywhere and she fits in great.

Have a wonderful cruise when you go. Your kids will love it even if they have to dress up.

Hulagirl

Chris, do you ever wonder what part of that rule people do not understand.:D

QUOTE]

I always wonder where folks (not necessarily this poster) get the idea that kids are exempt from the rules? Especially when the "kids" are 17+, I'm not talking about babies. There are a lot of posts asking for special dispensation for teenagers. Dress 'em up or leave 'em at the buffet.

Are children allowed to wear jeans in the dining room (as long as they are smart jeans) on smart casual nights?

I for one don’t agree with everyone’s comments above. I don’t think there is anything wrong with a child wearing “smart jeans” in the dining room. Denim has become more socially acceptable now adays and I believe if put together with a nice top denim make an extremely attractive and appropriate outfit for dinner. Plus, I think people need to be a little more flexible and understanding - we’re talking about a child wearing “smart jeans” and not a teenager or young adult. And to be honest, I’ve see some adults wearing pretty crummy outfits to dinner before and I would have them banned from the dining room over a child wearing jeans.

Please don’t shoot me for my opinion. I’m all in for dressing up for dinner but when it comes to children I think we have to be a little more understanding!

IMHO, I think that jeans can work for children. We go out to dinner all the time, and some of the places are considered fine dining. My son (who is 9 now), will wear dark blue or black jeans with either a polo shirt or a button down shirt. He usually looks better than other kids that people bring to the restaurants. It is a smart look and, personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. Just my two cents worth.

Evie

Sapphire to Alaska - 7/17/05

What is so difficult about dressing a kid in a pair of slacks? and if there is such a thing as "smart jeans" does that mean there are "stupid jeans"

It says, no jeans in the dining room.......period.

The argument that some adults have dressed in pretty crummy outfits does not make someone wearing jeans, however "smart" OK.

you know, this topic is almost like the passport topic...............all of the folks that have a passport write, "get a passport".....and here all the people with kids write...........well you know.

Can someone please help me draw the line between jeans and "smart" jeans? Does it have more to do with the designer label, the price of the jeans, or just the fact that they are in clean, pressed, condition vs dirty and holey? If they are blue and denim, they are jeans.

Not that I care what anybody's kids wear in the dining room, but the maitre d' may care.

Joy

Sorry to those of you who think teenagers should get a pass. There is a rule and it should be followed. At work we have what is called Business Casual. Should the younger employees ask for a pass? Don't get me wrong, I live in jeans all weekend and any other time it is appropriate.

The problem is that Princess does not enforce the rule. I guess I can understand why too. That does not make it any better for kids and young adults to learn that one of these days, the are going to HAVE to play by the rules. I would love to be at home right now, sitting in my jammies and pink fluffy slippers doing my job from home. Unfortunately millions of us do not have that luxury and must follow the dress code set by the office.

Once the dress for dinner is gone, its Horizon Court for all of us. Why should the waiters dress in nice outfits and the captain of the ship - heck, he would look really good in speedo :D

I just wonder if the young men and women know how good they look just a "little" dressed up. Off my soapbox. (for now) :)

This from a parent of three kids, now ages 19, 16, and 11. They have been on 14 cruises and never once did they even consider wearing jeans in the dining room. I, too, don't see where there is any "gray area"--if the rules say no jeans, then no jeans. If they don't want to dress up, they can hit the buffet or order room service. It's not like they're gonna starve if they don't go to the dining room.

Beth

you know, this topic is almost like the passport topic...............all of the folks that have a passport write, "get a passport".....and here all the people with kids write...........well you know.[/font]

Come on now Cat many people with children have agreed no jeans...myself included.

Scott

Considering this is the 7th post form this OP, give her a little slack. I was overwhelmed with all the info in the cruise booklets the first time- makes your head spin! BUT...from the mother of three cruiser kids, now 18, 16 and 13....don't even pack jeans (unless it is an Alsakan cruise and you have an outdoorsy excursion booked.) Hey, they only have to wear nice slacks in the dining room for two hours...the kids can handle it.

I agree that the rule had posted no jeans, but i think that people are too hung up of the fact that others have to dress a certain way in the dinning room. What is the big deal? In the Princess booklet, they said halter tops are not allow, but i wore that with dress pants to the dinning room before and never got any comments from the staff. So if your kid insist to wear jeans, just let them, and if the staff say something ,then change.

And for your information, "smart jeans" are jeans that are cut and tailor like dress pants, the only differece is that it is make out of denim material.

fina

The argument that some adults have dressed in pretty crummy outfits does not make someone wearing jeans, however "smart" OK.

It was never my intention to say that if someone was dressing crummy that wearing jeans was "smart". I just feel that if you're going to criticize a child for wearing jeans to dinner then perhaps we should reevaulate the dress code b/c there are a lot of adults that wear outfits that are not considered "smart casual". I think a bigger concern are the adults who don't dress up for formal night and still dine in the main dining rooms (I've seen that on Princess a few times).

I agree that the rule had posted no jeans, but i think that people are too hung up of the fact that others have to dress a certain way in the dinning room. What is the big deal?

I agree. I have a pair of sweat pants and a very holey tee shirt that I wear when I clean the basement. I think I'll wear it on my next cruise. I hope you will be sitting at my table to be able to enjoy it with me.

Even the local convenience store has a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" policy. Why should Princess demand more.

In the Princess booklet, they said halter tops are not allow, but i wore that with dress pants to the dinning room before and never got any comments from the staff.

Big deal. You got away with it. That certainly makes it the right thing to do.

So if your kid insist to wear jeans, just let them, and if the staff say something ,then change.

Whoa! People who let their kids dictate the family rules have bigger problems than what to wear for dinner. Really quite pathetic that some parents feel this way.

And for your information, "smart jeans" are jeans that are cut and tailor like dress pants, the only differece is that it is make out of denim material.

In my 22 years of parenthood, I don't think I've ever seen tailored dress pants made of out denim and marketed for children. Doesn't matter. The rule is no jeans, no "smart jeans only".

Honestly, I couldn't care less if people break the rules, but please don't try to insult me by justifying the behavior. If you choose not to follow the rules, at least have the maturity to admit it.

We have two kids, ages 10 and 13 and have been cruising for years.

This is a great opportunity to teach kids about the dress codes appropriate in many situations in life...also a great opportunity to teach kids manners and

all the "appropriate" behaviors expected when traveling.

There will always be people who don't follow the rules, but why start when they are young? Think about the many situations in life where they will benefit later on from learning early what is appropriate where and when.

Then, when the big stuff comes later on, like college interviews, job interviews, prom, and on and on, they will know that there are expectations and behaviors expected. People will respect that they know right from wrong and they won't be the ones always trying to "get away" with things in life!

I am the proudest parent when people come up to us (and they often do) and

praise how our kids are dressed and how well-behaved they are. The kids are proud too and sit up a bit straighter when people compliment them!

Your cruise will be all the richer, when you don't feel out of place and fit right in. Have a wonderful time!

This from a parent of three kids, now ages 19, 16, and 11. They have been on 14 cruises and never once did they even consider wearing jeans in the dining room. I, too, don't see where there is any "gray area"--if the rules say no jeans, then no jeans. If they don't want to dress up, they can hit the buffet or order room service. It's not like they're gonna starve if they don't go to the dining room.

Beth

My kids are a bit younger than yours (17, 15, 11)and are a few cruises behind - but they would never consider wearing jeans to the dining room. Part of it is that dining out is a special experience- like going to work or going to a place of worship, etc. Part of bring up children that will be comfortable as adults in all settings means setting guidlines for appropriate dress. There are some adults that havent gotten the message-

After dinner one child will change into her costly- smart- designer jeans. But she would not wear them to dinner.

BTW Jeans are made of denim- sooo -if they are black or white cotton twill they meet the dress code !

Archived