Guaranteed Room

Hello fellow cruisers,

Quick question, has anyone ever booked a "guarantee" room where it's a little cheaper but they assign your cabin at check in?

I'm thinking about it for our next cruise this summer, but a little nervous about taking that risk:confused:

I've done it 4 times.

First 2 times I booked interior guarantees, ended up with inside staterooms in quiet areas of the ship

3rd time, I booked on Oceanview guarantee on Monarch, ended up with an oceanview on deck 7 all the way forward. Deck 7 on the Monarch is the Promenade deck which meant we had people walking past our window at all hours of the day and night. I would not book a guarantee on the Sovereign class again, unless it was Superior Oceanview or higher.

4th time is for my cruise this coming May. Booked a suite guarantee and got bumped up to an Owner's Suite and not even one of the connecting ones which were still available.

Basically you have to weigh the risks. Are there any cabins in the category you are booking OR in a higher category that you would NOT be happy with? If so, then don't book a guarantee. If you care at all about your location on the ship, then don't book a guarantee. But, if you don't care about location and you'd be happy with any cabin in that category or higher, then go ahead and book the guarantee because it can definitely be worth the risk.

For me, there are some cruises where I'll book a guarantee and some that I won't. Sometimes it depends on the ship (as in my Monarch example).

If you are not picky about your cabin, go for it - you save alittle money and increase your chances of an upgrade. Just keep in mind that you may end up in a cabin in an undesireable location (i.e. under a bar/lounge so there will be noise, all the way forward so their will be more motion and longer walks to get to places). I have done these twice and once got upgraded from an inside guarantee to a balcony cabin!

By the way, most of the time you actually will be assigned you cabin prior to arriving at the pier. On both occasions I was assigned my cabin a few weeks out. You can check your reservation online at rccl.com to see if you've been assigned a cabin (just go to the "my reservations" section). Also keep in mind that occasionally your cabin will be changed after it initally is assigned online so keep checking online on occasions to spy any changes.

We have booked guarantees the last 5 of our 13 cruises. Here's why. I wait until about 6 weeks before the cruise (checking the web site daily) until prices drop before cruise and we book a guarantee. Usually an inside. All of the inside cabins are the same and from deck 6 to deck 10, so all are pretty good. Then sometimes the price will drop again and we will get a credit by calling RCI. One of our guarantees on RCI was upgraded to a promenade and on Disney, we went up to an oceanview room with a split bathroom. I agree with the other poster, if you really care which room you have, then don't book a guarantee. Since all of RCI's inside rooms are the same and all on good decks, it doesn't matter to us. We have taken guarantees that we paid $349 each for 7 and 8 night cruises and that way, we can go several times a year. (Always on voyager class ships).

Now, if I want a corner aft cabin, which we love, I book that in advance and just keep watching for the price to drop. We did that twice because we specifically wanted that room and balcony, but the rest of the time we book guarantees.

We have booked guarantees the last 5 of our 13 cruises. Here's why. I wait until about 6 weeks before the cruise (checking the web site daily) until prices drop before cruise and we book a guarantee. Usually an inside. All of the inside cabins are the same and from deck 6 to deck 10, so all are pretty good. Then sometimes the price will drop again and we will get a credit by calling RCI.

Now, if I want a corner aft cabin, which we love, I book that in advance and just keep watching for the price to drop. We did that twice because we specifically wanted that room and balcony, but the rest of the time we book guarantees.

Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question, but I am new to cruising...

Can you explain what you mean about waiting until the prices lower... and getting credit?

You can get the price lowered even AFTER you make your reservations?

I booked rather early because this is our first cruise and I was afraid of not being able to get a room (I thought they would sell out)... and when I booked, I had not yet found this site. I have learned so much here in the past few months, but this is something I have not read before, and I do not understand what you mean.

With Royal Caribbean, even after you book, keep checking the prices for your cruise. If the price for your cruise drops after booking, you can usually call RCCL up and they will give you the new price, even after final payment. The only exceptions to this are sale pricing that says for new bookings only, and even then they will sometimes give you the price drop.

I just booked a guarantee balcony on the Navigator transatlantic next month. We saved lots of $ and have received our assignment--it is the highest level balcony.

This was the first time I ever did it, I was nervous, but it worked out well. Yay Lynda!

With Royal Caribbean, even after you book, keep checking the prices for your cruise. If the price for your cruise drops after booking, you can usually call RCCL up and they will give you the new price, even after final payment. The only exceptions to this are sale pricing that says for new bookings only, and even then they will sometimes give you the price drop.

Is this only if you book directly through them?

I booked on AA.com so I could get the Advantage miles.

I wonder if this applies to Celebrity as well.... aren't they the same company?

It is important to always check the agency policy on this when booking a cruise through them. We have always received all price reductions offerred by both RCCL and Celebrity with our online only cruise agency. Some agencies charge for all changes and/or don't apply credits for price reductions.

Buyer beware.

It is important to always check the agency policy on this when booking a cruise through them. We have always received all price reductions offerred by both RCCL and Celebrity with our online only cruise agency. Some agencies charge for all changes and/or don't apply credits for price reductions.

Buyer beware.

This being said, is it better to book directly from the cruiseline?

When requesting a price revision from the travel agent, how does that work? Do you go to the travel agent or the cruise line to get it?

I am sorry, but I am still a little confused.

One more thing, when looking at my receipts, I see that I am being charged: Taxes and Port Charges:$667.02

When I go back to AA.com and check on prices, there is tax fee of $200 something, but no port fees included in there anywhere. And, this is the final amount before paying.

This is all so confusing...

If you booked through a TA (like AA.com), you have to call your TA to make any changes to your reservation. RCCL cannot talk to you about your reservation because it is owned by your TA.

The airline agencies are notoriously bad about honoring price drops and having cancellation fees. After speaking to a rather rude agent at another airline/cruise site....the answers to all my questions were "NO, we don't". I decided never to book with one, miles or not. :)

We have booked guarantees the last 5 of our 13 cruises. Here's why. I wait until about 6 weeks before the cruise (checking the web site daily) until prices drop before cruise and we book a guarantee. Usually an inside. All of the inside cabins are the same and from deck 6 to deck 10, so all are pretty good. Then sometimes the price will drop again and we will get a credit by calling RCI. One of our guarantees on RCI was upgraded to a promenade and on Disney, we went up to an oceanview room with a split bathroom. I agree with the other poster, if you really care which room you have, then don't book a guarantee. Since all of RCI's inside rooms are the same and all on good decks, it doesn't matter to us. We have taken guarantees that we paid $349 each for 7 and 8 night cruises and that way, we can go several times a year. (Always on voyager class ships).

Not all the inside cabins are the same on RC ships even with the Voyager class which has four different size of inside cabins depending on whether it is the older ones (Voyager, Adventure ,Exployer) or the newer two (Navigator, Mariner). If you book an inside guarantee you could end up the the most forward smalless cabin on the bottom deck (lowest category) like we did for our first RC cruise which was on Empress. Some ships have two or three different size inside cabins and there is a big difference between a regular inside (138 sq.ft) and a superior inside (172 sq.ft) on Legend or Splendour. The same goes for Rhapsody. The only RC ships that have the same size insides throughout the ship is the Radiance class.

For last cruise (Legend) we booked a guarantee inside about 7 weeks out and were assigned a J superior within a day of our booking it. Our next cruise is on Radiance and our group booked one balcony and two inside cabins. The balcony assigned was a deck seven E1 with a double size balcony to us and this cruise will make us diamond. Our friends , first time with RC, got a M on deck eight within a week of booking. The other inside which is for gold C&A members has not been assigned and its been four weeks since booking. As of today the inside guarantee are the same price as the OV and only L top category insides are showing available but lots of outsides OVs are available. IMO some inside guarantees will be upgraded to OVs. I am hoping our friends get one. Like others have said don't book a guarantee unless you will be OK with the worst cabin that guarantee could be get you.

IMHO your C&A level benefits you in the assignment.

Ya know there are many people on these boards who always book direct with the cruiselines. I understand that "they" (the cruiselines) say there is no discounting allowed, but the agency I have been using gives back lots of shipboard credit. The only time they are not reachable is between 11pm-8am. All other times I send an email requesting something and within minutes I have a response. For that reason I choose to book through them.

Taxes and port charges are on all cruises. That is something you need to take into consideration when comparing quotes. Some agencies include them (along with the fuel surcharge) with the quote and others do not. No matter what--they still must be paid. those Port charges look pretty hefty-wondering how many people/ports that includes?

Ya know there are many people on these boards who always book direct with the cruiselines. I understand that "they" (the cruiselines) say there is no discounting allowed, but the agency I have been using gives back lots of shipboard credit. The only time they are not reachable is between 11pm-8am. All other times I send an email requesting something and within minutes I have a response. For that reason I choose to book through them.

Taxes and port charges are on all cruises. That is something you need to take into consideration when comparing quotes. Some agencies include them (along with the fuel surcharge) with the quote and others do not. No matter what--they still must be paid. those Port charges look pretty hefty-wondering how many people/ports that includes?

2 people, from Alaska to Vancouver... stopping in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Icy Strait Point (not docking)

Docking doesn't figure into "port" charges QuasiTova...you are still using their pier for the tender. Enjoy your cruise, and then decide where and how you wish to book future cruises....because there will probably be future cruises! :D

Hello fellow cruisers,

Quick question, has anyone ever booked a "guarantee" room where it's a little cheaper but they assign your cabin at check in?

I'm thinking about it for our next cruise this summer, but a little nervous about taking that risk:confused:

We recently switched from the cabin we had selected to a guarantee in order to save $1,300.:D I did get moved, but I'm perfectly happy with the new location, especially for that kind of savings! We were assigned our cabin within 2 hours of switching to the guarantee...probably because we were inside of four weeks and had already made final payment.

This might be as fun a place as any to post my conversation. I think the guaranteed room question has been answered. My conversation with the airline/cruise agent:

Q: I’d like to book xx of the Seas, what price would that be?

A: Please hold, the price is xx p/p

Q: But that is $40 p/p more than it is on the website?

A: That’s our price.

Q: Do you honor past passenger balcony discounts?

A: No we don’t

Q: Do you honor coupons or savings certificates?

A: No

Q: What if the price drops?

A: We don’t give price drops; the price I quoted is the price. Do you want to book the cruise?

Q: Are there any cancellation fees?

A: There is a $100 p/p fee if you want to make any changes to your booking, or if you cancel.

Q: OK Thanks, but no.

A: But I was going to offer you 2500 extra miles!

Q: That’s OK, thanks, bye.

:)

We saved close to $1500 by switching to a guaranteed balcony from an asigned balcony on our Hawaii cruise. We received a nice assignment, but I did sort of look wistfullly look at the balcony we had given up. :D It was fun spending the credit card refund money, though!:)

This might be as fun a place as any to post my conversation. I think the guaranteed room question has been answered. My conversation with the airline/cruise agent:

Q: I’d like to book xx of the Seas, what price would that be?

A: Please hold, the price is xx p/p

Q: But that is $40 p/p more than it is on the website?

A: That’s our price.

Q: Do you honor past passenger balcony discounts?

A: No we don’t

Q: Do you honor coupons or savings certificates?

A: No

Q: What if the price drops?

A: We don’t give price drops; the price I quoted is the price. Do you want to book the cruise?

Q: Are there any cancellation fees?

A: There is a $100 p/p fee if you want to make any changes to your booking, or if you cancel.

Q: OK Thanks, but no.

A: But I was going to offer you 2500 extra miles!

Q: That’s OK, thanks, bye.

:)

I called aa.com this morning... and thank goodness, I got a nicer TA than you did... lol

I actually got $220 knocked off my total price ($110 each), and they added DOUBLE miles instead of the 1for1 I was getting for every dollar spent.

Also, she told me to keep checking back, and any price changes that occur before the 75 day cut-off, they would gladly reimburse... even AFTER final payment is made.

I am so glad I asked you guys about this... $220 pays for another shore excursion... or more shoes :)

We recently switched from the cabin we had selected to a guarantee in order to save $1,300.:D I did get moved, but I'm perfectly happy with the new location, especially for that kind of savings! We were assigned our cabin within 2 hours of switching to the guarantee...probably because we were inside of four weeks and had already made final payment.

I didn't realize that I could downgrade so close to departure. Somehow I figured that once I was past final payment date, I would not be able to downgrade.

Archived