Two passengers evacuated from cruise ship near Cuba

Bj2615

Thanks for your explanation of the scenario, Copper. It truly was an impressive operation and involved a lot of expertise on the part of so many.

The seas were pretty rough that night, in the 7-12-foot range. And it was very windy. What a challenge. Hats off to all those involved.

We had a similar situation on our recent Zuiderdam cruise but with a different passenger response. After searching for a passenger for 3 hours the captain announced that we were turning the ship around to search the water. I was in the Thermal Suite while the search was underway, and they were searching EVERY nook and cranny before turning around. Thankfully the passenger was found onboard and we reversed course and continued our voyage to Grand Turk. I did not hear one passenger complain about the fact that they might miss a port day, everyone was concerned about the missing passenger and his family. It was comforting to know that one passenger's safety was so very important. Everyone realized that if the passenger had been in the water for 3+ hours it would be very difficult to find him but everyone seemed to totally support the captain's decision.

Thank goodness you had a balcony to retreat to when other passengers were behaving so horribly!!

Hey I was on tha that cruise also... I figured they would find him once tehy made that announcement, durign the day if someone goes overboard im sure at least one person would have noticed (I hope anyway) I was on the back pool deck when they said he was okay, and everyone clapped it was a nice a response, I dont know how anyone could be mad at turning around Iw as worried for the guy.

Anyway do you have any idea where they found him and what actually kept him from responding to the messages?

M2D - I left the Thermal Suite to go back to our room to make sure he wasn't there and as I was leaving the spa area I heard (by the elevator) his care giver talking and he was so thankful that the gentleman had been found. So... he was found in the spa area.....and he did not respond because, as the captain said, he occasionally has lapses in memory. He is an intelligent man and very respected by his friends and colleagues. It must have been an incredibly difficult time for his friends and family, and I'm happy to hear that everyone around you was also happy to hear that he was safe!!!!!!!!! Cherie

Can certainly understand why a family member isn't usually evacuated with a patient and in my case - because I always cruise with a friend - not an issue. But it raised another question. I always carry the name and phone numbers of my DH (at home) and my niece (in AZ) who is my Medical POA. My cruising buddy also carries a copy (and vice versa).

What I'm wondering is who, if anyone, from the ship would be responsible for notifying absent "next of kin" in case of dire emergency?

we had a fire on the ship on the first cruise my husband and I took on the Veendam in 2005. It was at 3:00 a.m. and I woke up suddenly to "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking" I knew it couldn't be good and wondered why I hadn't paid better attention during the life vest/lifeboat drill! This fire too, was in the incinerator, but some cabins directly had to be evacuated due to smoke. Very exciting and scary on your first night at sea on your first cruise!:eek:

Know your life boat station and learn the route how to get there from your cabin, even in the middle of the night. Take into consideration that elevators might not be working. Know how to put on your live vest properly! Next time, you're at the drill, take a look at how many fine folks don't have their arms through the top straps. If you don't do that and say, you have to jump into the water from some considerable height (I know, bad case scenario!) Guess where that life vest is going to go when you hit the surface and you don't have those top straps where they belong?

I'm not trying to scare people but you will find yourselves on a ship in the middle of the ocean with no outside help close by so the least you can do is have same basic knowledge of emergency procedures (the stuff you learn at the drill) and know where to go if the you know what hits the proverbial fan.

John, this is such good advice. I have pictures from our recent cruise and someone on my roll call pointed out that both my DH and I didn't have the straps tied through the little black thingy in the front of the vest. We've been on plenty of drills and still had it wrong. No one on HAL even pointed out to us. It took posting the pictures for someone to notice. So, thanks for the extra good advice. I hope we won't ever need it, but being prepared in an emergency is what prevents panic.

Whenever we stay in a hotel, we look for the emergency route to the stairs and where the stiars are located.

Archived