Alocohol in checked baggage

I did a lot of reading on this yesterday. From what I could understand....its the size and shape of the rum runner flasks that helps them go unnoticed. As far as the 8 oz. flasks.....they can easily fit in your pocket to get on and off the ship. I would think a water bottle in your pocket might get noticed.....and certainly would if it goes in your bag through the scanner.

On occasion there have been reports of just about every means working at one time or another and of just about every idea being caught at one time or another. Luck seems to always be a part of the game. BTW-since NCL reads the boards I bet they would love to see a list of everyones favorite methods ;)

If someone wants to try it, there's the "beer belly"

http://www.thebeerbelly.com/

And not to leave out the fairer sex, there's the "wine rack"

http://www.thebeerbelly.com/The_Winerack_p/200-007.htm

Anyone up to using a catheter bag :eek:

I ask the question. Is it really worth all the effort and stress? I am going on NCL in Aprl with my parents. Part of the pleasure in the cruise is the time I will spend in the bar. I am by no means wealthy but I really do not want to stress out for the sake of maybe 60-100 dollars. We are going to take wine on board but not to save some dollars. We have our favourite wines which NCL probably does not have. We will pay the corkage fee and be able to board without any stress and enjoy drinking it on the balcony. I just cannot see the point of going through all that hassle and worry. That is my opinion for what it is worth.

thats true but what if you do not plan on drinking $50-$100 for your cruise. I am going on my cruise for spring break and if I were to pay the avg $8 for my drinks I would probably spend atleast over $100 a day.

Yes I do like to party. Which is why I reccomend putting beer in soda cases and then putting a few sodas on the end of the case then gluing back shut. So if they want to open viola...all you see is some pepsi cans.

It does not hurt to put a few wine bags in cereal boxes or Vodka in Sprite 2 Liters and Whiskey in Coke 2 liters. Try putting an alka seltzer tab in the soda bottles before you board in case they would like to shake them up to make sure it fizzes like soda. One tablet wont really taint your liquor but if you feel it will just leave a splash or two of soda in the bottles.

LOL ... this thread has provided me w/ quite a bit of comedic relief :p I didn't think it could get any better than those x-rays :rolleyes:

P.S. That "wine rack" is a new one to me .. wonder if it would work? Hope my DH doesn't know about it ... he may want me to give it a try ;)

Glad you like those zackamo. Comic relief was my intent, sometimes I think that many of us here take all this too serious. I just wanna have fun (which is why I cruise). I wonder if the "wine rack" could be a substitute for a boob job? It's a lot cheaper ;) (not that my wife needs a boob job at all). Also, if filled with hot water, could it be a help on the ski slopes...?

However, I refuse to put an alka seltzer in my whiskey!!!

LOL ... this thread has provided me w/ quite a bit of comedic relief :p I didn't think it could get any better than those x-rays :rolleyes:

P.S. That "wine rack" is a new one to me .. wonder if it would work? Hope my DH doesn't know about it ... he may want me to give it a try ;)

Now ROTFL ... I was actually thinking the same thing ... it definitely would be cheaper! Also, what a great idea re: using it while skiing ... as long as the bladder on it holds ... but then again, one can just enter the wet t-shirt contest after that :eek:

As for the alka seltzer ... just add some Advil too ... and DJ Dale might be right ... perfect cure for a hangover :D

Some of you are just plain ridiculous. Putting alcohol in a washing detergent bottle...putting alka seltzer in booze to make it fizz.

Two words:

CHEAP ALCOHOLICS

God has spoken so I suppose we'd all better stop posting on this thread. :p

Also, what a great idea re: using it while skiing ...

Hook up some sort of sippy straw & fill it with hot Toddie, chocolate or coffee (or whatever warm beverage you prefer) to get that all over warm feeling ;)

I'm thinking of chugging a whole fifth of burboun, running to my room as soon as i board, and using the old finger to the back of the throat trick. Should work fine if I slip the room steward an extra five :rolleyes:

Or maybe I can take an extra water tight suitcase full of towels soaked with liquor onboard. We never use our full luggage allowance, and you could just squeeze out a drink by wrining the towel anytime you wanted one.;)

Or you could just bring a bunch of nyQuil, hairspray, and cologne aboard with you. all could be drank in a pinch. :eek: Maybe chase it with some watered down rubbing alcohol.........

If not, identity theft and credit card fraud are still popular options today for folks who want to have their cake but not have to pay for it.

:D :p

I'm thinking of chugging a whole fifth of burboun, running to my room as soon as i board, and using the old finger to the back of the throat trick. Should work fine if I slip the room steward an extra five :rolleyes:

:D :p

That's funny...I laughed out loud!

Some of you are just plain ridiculous. Putting alcohol in a washing detergent bottle...putting alka seltzer in booze to make it fizz.

Two words:

CHEAP ALCOHOLICS

Has nothing to do with being cheap.... Hotels don't screen their guest's luggage prior to entry for alcohol. Other cruise lines do not confiscate alcohol in checked luggage close to the degree that NCL does. You have to be more creative when cruising NCL. I enjoy reading how creative folks are myself. Only time I felt the need to pack beer inside soda boxes was on NCL because I know how overly anal they are based on all the helpful postings here. You won't see a mention of a 'naughty room' in other cruise line forums except here.

• 2 months later...
Other cruise lines do not confiscate alcohol in checked luggage close to the degree that NCL does. You have to be more creative when cruising NCL. I enjoy reading how creative folks are myself.

I stood outside the lounge where the confiscated baggage was on a recent cruise (I noticed the letters on MANY doors, not mine, though).

It looked like they were getting over 50% "false positives", which says to me that they are being way too aggressive. I questioned about 20 people. There were three or four "curling iron" violations, but the rest were "suspicious liquid". A bit over half of those folks were quite angry at the hassle of having to explain things like pump hair spray, mouthwash, and the like. The others said, "yep, they caught me" and didn't seem that upset (those were the more experienced cruisers). Folks that never were on NCL before that got caught were a bit more upset, claiming that they didn't even know they were breaking the rule of "profit margin through high alcohol prices".

--Dale--

Riding the shuttle to the terminal last week, we spoke to a couple guys about the liquor policy. The guy said he was called to the naughty room for having a bottle of mouthwash, and he was not smuggling.

He also said something I had not heard before - if you are caught with contraband, your choices are a) let them dispose of it, or b) pay a $15 storage fee and claim it on debarkation day.

If you buy liquor on the ship or in port, they will deliver it to your cabin on the last evening of the cruise. If you get caught with it, you have to go claim it on the morning of debarkation.

We had a lot of sodas in our carryon, but no one bothered to look at it at check-in. I could have had gallons of liquor there. We did not get called to the naughty room for anything.

I think the star might be a little more ...relaxed about this stuff..

My hubby and I had no problems bringing aboard Vodka and Rum. What we do is we buy a 6 pack of the large dasani bottles. We open 2, empty them out, put liquor inside instead and seal them back up with the rest of the six pack.

Then, if they look closely at a bottle, we have a better chance of them picking up a water bottle.

As for sodas, yah we brought a bunch of Mexican Cokes ( yum made with sugar instead of corn syrup) carried right in our hands on board and they didnt even flinch.

I just sailed on the Star from 2/20-2/28 and I had no problem with the rum runner flasks in my checked luggage. I also returned from the ports each time with several bottles of soda in my bag and these were never looked at or questioned so I could have easily filled with liquor and brought on board.

Archived