Internet on Emerald 02/14

stevel45

Did any platimum members on the Emerald get a shipboard credit for the

internet being down all week? As we were allowed $125 each.

Thanks

Probably not the ship's control? Not sure why it was down all week. Did you ask while you were on the ship? This has never happened to me.

Jan

Did any platimum members on the Emerald get a shipboard credit for the

internet being down all week? As we were allowed $125 each.

Thanks

I didn't! I asked prior to leaving the ship and they took my name down. Some have asked and were told no compensation would be made. :rolleyes: Go figure!

Judie

So, you want to be paid by Princess because the Internet was down? While disappointing, I'm not understanding why you feel you're owed money for something you didn't use.

Personally I don't feel they "owe" me anything. It is just a perk that is given to Platinum cruisers, a very important perk. Personally I had to incur ship to shore charges to call home, something that I would not have had to pay if the internet was working. $5 per minute it a little expensive if you have to call.

So, you want to be paid by Princess because the Internet was down? While disappointing, I'm not understanding why you feel you're owed money for something you didn't use.

If you had a wireless laptop, you could use the Internet, but nothing in the Internet Cafe. During our CC luncheon James Deering, the Passenger Service Dirrector, said we should be able to get some type of compensation (not necessarily the $ amount we were allowed). He told us to go to Customer Relations and ask for compensation which we did and were told we would not get compensation.

Personally I don't feel they "owe" me anything. It is just a perk that is given to Platinum cruisers, a very important perk. Personally I had to incur ship to shore charges to call home, something that I would not have had to pay if the internet was working. $5 per minute it a little expensive if you have to call.

We also had to phone home from the ship when the internet was down & I know it is expensive, but I didn't feel it was within Princess control. Ours was just down for a short time & I may have felt differently if it was down all week. We take a global blackberry with us now. How the times have changed!

Jan

for those who internet services as a perk and made long distance calls I had a break from the office. Natorious for e-mailing the office daily but this was a nice break for me. I could honestly say NO internet! Mind you 150 e-mails on blackberry once I hit Lauderdale. Soem one posted a thread on what to do in Lauderdale before your flight? I should say reply to e-mails!

I would think some kind of compensation may be in order as plenty of Platinium & Elite in our group.

What did we all do before the "internet" - we still cruised?????? Cruise prices have not increased???? I don't understand what the problem is!!

What would we be doing if "Al Gore" the inventor of the internet had not been born.

Speaking of "AL Gore" we have had the coldest and snowiest winter in several years, apparently due to "Global Warming"

Ron

Speaking of "AL Gore" we have had the coldest and snowiest winter in several years, apparently due to "Global Warming"

You're right despite your sarcasm. Colder and snowier winters are directly attributable to global warming, as the polar ice caps are melting, resulting in more moisture in the atmosphere which is falling as snow in some places.

The people who don't understand why people feel compelled to stay in touch with the office are simply lucky they weren't born 30 years later. I bet a lot of these people actually worked just 40 hour weeks too!:p

I'm perfectly aware of the Internet perk since I'm Elite. It's a nice perk but not that important as there are never any guarantees that the Internet will be up and working -- I've been on many cruises when it hasn't worked for days at a time. I gather that the Emerald was at sea the whole time so you were unable to use your cell phone. I use mine all over the world not just for calls but to access my email when I can't access the Internet. It's just a simple phone and I pay $5.95/month for International roaming.

I'm perfectly aware of the Internet perk since I'm Elite. .

Since you are beyond those of us that have not yet reached Elite status, you may remember that perks for Platinum are few.

My cell phone only worked when we hit St. Thomas which was 8 days into the cruise. Perhaps next cruise we will remember to be more prepared.

I have to agree with Pam (nice name by the way) on this one. It is an unused perk and not something you paid for in the price of the cruise.

Do you get compensated if you can't get internet on your cell phone or your home computer? I doubt it. My internet service was down for 8 days after Hurricane Charley and I got Zip.

Comcast finally gave a credit for the days a customer's internet service was down but all that "compensation" was a refund of the monthly fee which is paid in advance. How much did you pay for the unused internet service on your cruise?

I also agree with Pam. If the internet is down, whether I am Platinum, Elite or in a full suite, I would not expect compensation from the cruise line.

I won't even go into the reasons why or I will just get myself into trouble here. ;)

Points to be made:

I don't think people also know that the last day the Internet was working on the Emerald, it was free usage to all.....Platinum or whatever.

I used my wireless laptop but it was still .50 a minute.

I met a person whose father took sick the night we sailed and she would

have loved to have use of the internet, as opposed to ship to shore telephone.

We shouldn't really criticize another's needs on a cruise until we have sailed

a mile in their shoes.

You're right despite your sarcasm. Colder and snowier winters are directly attributable to global warming, as the polar ice caps are melting, resulting in more moisture in the atmosphere which is falling as snow in some places.

And you are so wrong wrong wrong.......you can't have global warming causing everything.....warm winters, cold winters, too many hurricanes, too

few hurricanes....but that's the way you guys want it.....have it causing

everything just to be safe. The earth has warmed up one degree in 100 years.....get over it! Stop listening to a fat ass man who lives in a house that uses $30,000 kwt hours a year, who claimed to have invented the Internet....all warning bells should go off in you head right there ....this same man who hasn't a clue what he is talking about but is parroting UN scientists who will say anything to get their grants. REAL scientists who aren't dependent on such money say and know the truth.......there is no global warming. So move on to the next flaky notion!

And to keep this vaguely connected to Princess and not hijack a thread

... to the person who suggested people get off the boat in ports and find Internet cafes to use there, rather than go on their tours.......are you related to the fella who thinks this is the worst and coldest winter on record because of Global warming?

Hello?

And you are so wrong wrong wrong.......you can't have global warming causing everything.....warm winters, cold winters, too many hurricanes, too few hurricanes...

I guess that Nobel prize really irritated. It's too bad that global warming, and so many other things, have become politicized this country.

Sorry, but I also agree with Pam and Toto and the others who don't think this deserves any compensation. I am platinum so get the free internet package (I am not elite, so this is the biggest perk for me) and I certainly would not expect to be compensated if I did not use the internet. And if I thought that way, then I would demand a partial compensation if I didn't use all of the minutes alloted to me. Internet spots are a dime a dozen in ports and are very cost efficient. The first several cruises I went on there was no internet and it was great... no e-mails from DH telling me everything that is going wrong at home and with the kids (I cruise yearly with my mom and leave family at home). The majority of situations in which you communicate by e-mail are not emergencies that require an immediate response since you have no way of knowing how soon the person will read it and respond to it. If it were a true emergency I would be calling no matter what and incurring the high ship to shore phone rates, I certainly would not rely on e-mail.

Let's look at it another way......................

Say you are Elite, and the laundry room has a problem and for 6 days of a 7 day cruise, free laundry is not provided to those Elite members as one of their perks. Do those that are to receive this benefit ask for compenstation because they did not get the free laundry service onboard? Just a question.

Let's look at it another way......................

Say you are Elite, and the laundry room has a problem and for 6 days of a 7 day cruise, free laundry is not provided to those Elite members as one of their perks. Do those that are to receive this benefit ask for compenstation because they did not get the free laundry service onboard? Just a question.

What!!! No free laundry!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::D

What!!! No free laundry!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::D

LOL Just comparing free perks to free perks. Actually, on one of our cruises, there were a few days when we couldn't get the laundry done. The room steward apologized as there was some problem with the ships laundry, and it was no biggy, but I did not expect compensation because it was not available.

I honestly thought there would be some that would respond to this 'other senerio'............I wanted to see what they thought the compensation should be, or if there should be any, for something like this happening.

I guess I'm going to have to disagree with those that feel the loss of Internet is no big thing. While I certainly didn't continue cruising solely to get those free perks, it did come into play. I wanted to get to Platinum status so that I could receive some of those perks. Sure, the world would not end and there are alternatives (someone suggested an Internet cafe) to keep in contact. But, if you had planned on receiving something and it wasn't there it is upsetting. The laundry comparison is a good one. If you only brought clothes enough for seven days (for a two week cruise) you'd be pretty upset if the laundry wasn't available.

Do I think Princess is "required" to compensate for the loss of the Internet for the entire cruise? No. However, I think there are probably several "good faith" gestures they could make. A FCC of some sort wouldn't cost much and would probably insure a repeat customer.

Just my opinion.

P.S. I suggest we keep our politics to ourselves. This isn't the forum for that.;)

Archived