When are you to old to have your hair braided?

csteck

Hi, I was thinking about getting my hair braided while on my cruise thru the Panama Canal. So when are you to old to braid your hair? My hair is long and straight. Going on shore excursions I fight tangles getting into the water and wind. I usually take a mirror, comb and my own beads. So whats your opinion? Carla

I disagree.

If you don't have enough hair for a braid, or sport a comb-over - yer just too damn old.

Naw seriously - I don't think age has anything to do with it.

But some people can get away with braids and some can't.

If your kids are too embarassed to be seen with you - maybe it's not for you.

Thanks for the opinions, I have lots of hair and I am in my 40's. My son is grown and gone. He won't be seen with me so I won't worry about that. I am going to Cabo San Lucas, Acapulco and Aruba. Do they all offer hair braiding? Thanks, Carla

Oh please, you're on vacation! Relax and have fun.

The only time you're too old is when you're dead, unless you've made that stipulations in your will that that you're funeral arrangements are to include hair braiding!

Hair braiding is all over the place, I doubt you'll have any trouble finding someone to do it for you.. just add a little sun screen in between the rows so you're newly exposed scalp doesn't burn, or you'll like like an exotic zebra!

Have fun and enjoy.

We were on a group cruise on Celebrity years ago, and one of the gentlemen with us was in his 60's. He just had a few strands left on top, and we talked him into getting them braided in Antigua. He was such a good sport, and the "braider" did a great job of getting those few strands into a small braid with some colorful beads. He was the hit of the dining room at formal dinner, and we had a formal group picture taken. We all had a great laugh, and so did he!

This has been fun, I think I will get my hair braided. Years ago I had my hair braided while in Ocho Rios, It was the last port so I came home in braids and went to work. We were in state survey at the hospital I work at. No body seemed to mind. They all wanted to hear about my vacation. MLB I paid $ 40.00 in Jamaica for a so so job. I have paid $ 20.00 in Mexico for a good job. I then tipped. My hair is to my waist. It takes two people over a hour to do my hair. No one has ever pulled on my hair to the point that it hurt, but the little flower beads they used with the corn rolls were uncomfortable from the wires they used. Smooth sailing I would love to see a picture of your hair braided. steck@neteze.com. Thanks again. Carla

Just be careful to put sunscreen on your scalp. A sunburned scalp between the rows of braids is NOT fun! and when it starts peeling it's even worse. My daughter will be happy to tell you her horror stories. Also, she found the unbraiding much worse than the braiding. Her hair is down to her rear end and we had to lie her down in the pool and undo the braids while they were wet and underwater! With about a ton of creme rinse!

TinaLee

You are never too old to have your hair braided, but there is a time frame when it should not be done. Below are my opinions on hairbraiding:

If you are between the ages of 6-18, then hairbraiding looks cute.

If you are 60 years or older, then hairbraiding looks cute.

If you are male, then a braid here and there is kinda cute.

If you are a female, then a few braids are kinda cute.

If you are a female between 18-59, full hairbraiding will never ever look as cute as Bo Derek. Frankly, it will look more like Bo Diddley!

Coka

(For the record, I have seen a few women in the 18-59 category where it looked good).

I say if your kids are embarassed to be seen by you - its time to do it even more;)

hmmmm...that just gave me some great ideas to embarass me daughter. Maybe I ought to break out my thong, braid my hair, and sing Britney Spears while were on deck next month. I will fit in beautifully:D

This has been fun, I think I will get my hair braided. Years ago I had my hair braided while in Ocho Rios, It was the last port so I came home in braids and went to work. We were in state survey at the hospital I work at. No body seemed to mind. They all wanted to hear about my vacation. MLB I paid $ 40.00 in Jamaica for a so so job. I have paid $ 20.00 in Mexico for a good job. I then tipped. My hair is to my waist. It takes two people over a hour to do my hair. No one has ever pulled on my hair to the point that it hurt, but the little flower beads they used with the corn rolls were uncomfortable from the wires they used. Smooth sailing I would love to see a picture of your hair braided. steck@neteze.com. Thanks again. Carla
Just dont forget to sunscreen those new parts! I did and I got real sunburned and then peeled, it was a mess ! eeeks!

My husband and I were in the Western Carib in March and all the your girls were getting their hair braided. When I saw someone older (okay 50-ish) getting her hair done, I thought you go girl. Later on the ship, it looked great. One week after that cruise I went to the doctor for an annual check up. The doctor's assistant had braids. When I asked her about them, she said she had a 4-day weekend in the Bahamas -- two weeks prior. They did not look good. So, I suggest you get them. Then when they stop looking great, take them out. They don't last forever.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think they do it in Aruba, I was there for 12 days on my honeymoon and never saw anywhere that did it.

Have fun your on vacation, just don't do it in a hurry. If you have moderately long here it will take an hour or so. I have waist long hair and it takes several hours to do mine

Have fun.

Archived