Specialty Restaurant Surcharge

rjstone208

Doing our first cruise April 6 on Millennium. What is the $30 surcharge for the Olympia restaurant all about? And what are the wine pairings I keep reading about also? Does the surcharge mean you pay for what you order plus $30 on top of that? Is there a secret password and handshake to all of this?

And especially if you don't have a secret decoder ring!

Ok I will try to help you. The specialty restaurants have always been a very nice treat for us, well worth the $30 surcharge. Think of it as an entry fee, it might be easier that way. The service is more refined, the room is simply lovely, and we like the ambiance. Please go quite hungry and allow plenty of time for the meal- eat a hearty breakfast and as little else as you can, the food is well worht a little pre- dinner starvation, lol. There are many nice items on the menu, if you search for Olympia or specialty restaurant on these boards you will find some kind soul here has posted it for you. If you get the goat cheese starter you will be in very good company... yum.

You can order off their menu, much like in the dining room, and order wine or cocktails in the same fashion. There is no per- item charge for food, think that your entry fee of $30 covered that... there may be a variance for lobster but you really need the secret handshake for that info. Alcohol is paid on a consumption basis, same as the dining room.

There is an additional menu which includes set dishes paired with wines that suit these dishes correctly. That costs more that the $30 "entry"fee- maybe double or more, I cannot remember, and includes a glass of wine with each course. If you factor in the per- glass cost it's a good value; if you don't much care for wine it is safe to say this is skippable. I love wine and love good food, next time we go I am keen to do the pairing, I didn't last time, much to my chagrin.

I hope this helps and that you find your meal as wonderful as we did!

And so the gym is nearby, right?:)

:D No....it's 7 decks up.....precisely what you'll need when you get out of the specialty restaurant: walk up to the Gym !!!!:D

Yum

Cheers

;)

If you go, and do the wine pairing, plan on a long evening. We have eaten in the United States on Infinity more than 20 times and a couple of times we have been in the wine room, come in for dinner at 6:30 and not leaving until almost 11:00. The $30 is the best food investment we have ever made but we are really into food.

Also, the extended menu with the wines (wine pairing) must be ordered by all at the table. I didn't particularly care for the entrees in the wine pairing menu so our table wasn't able to order it. The wine pairing is $60 or $65 instead of the $30 per person charge.

You will absolutely enjoy your Olympic dining experience. The cuisine is superb, but just as important, the service is wonderful - never rushed or indifferent. The maitre d' will come over, greet you by name, etc. During the entree' course, (fixed menu), I wasn't a big fan of the chardonnay that was suggested. Our sommelieuse made an alternate suggestion that ended up being just as complimentary to the entree'. The whole meal was like this - attentive, personable staff and delicious cuisine. My DH could cut his filet mignon with a butter knife (but he didn't :) ) Bottom line, prepare to be spoiled even more than usual.

If you go, and do the wine pairing, plan on a long evening. We have eaten in the United States on Infinity more than 20 times and a couple of times we have been in the wine room, come in for dinner at 6:30 and not leaving until almost 11:00. The $30 is the best food investment we have ever made but we are really into food.

Don't they need the table for someone with a reservation later than 6:30?

Don't they need the table for someone with a reservation later than 6:30?

Not all the tables get used more than once an evening in the specialty restaurant. Their capacity is limited more by the staffing and kitchen capacity than the number of tables. This is why you'll sometimes have trouble getting a reservation, yet see open tables. While the main dining room is well situated for serving all tables at the same time, the specialty restaurant is not. They need to spread out the serving times between the tables.

Archived