Kusadasi: Meander tours: Any experience?

We will be in Kusadasi in May and are considering a tour with Meander Travel.

Any one have any experiences with this company?

Please respond as soon as possible as we are close to making a decision.

Thank you in advance.

We are on the same cruise you are (May 7, Westerdam, Venice-Venice). I have no experience with any of them. I looked at Meander, but go a cheaper rate from Crossroads. (Mr. Vedat Cakiroglu, Crossroads Travel and Shipping Co, Ataturk Blv. No:70 09400 Kusadasi, Turkey Tel:+90-256-6143712 Fax:+90-256-6133035
E-mail: [email]info@crossroadstravel.com[/email]). We have rented a cab and guide for the entire day for Crossroad Travel's "PRIVATE IONION TOUR" that goes to Ancient Ephesus, Priene and Didyma. The rate is $95 USD each for two of use. I paid $95 now and will pay the other $95 on May 14. Please let me know if you have heard anything about Crossroads. Thanks

I have not heard of either of those tour companies but read on this board a few weeks ago about another tour company. I wrote to them and received an answer straight away.

They are doing the same trip as you have planned and are charging $50US each person. That is the rate for two people, if we have more people it will be cheaper and this includes all entrance fees plus lunch.

They are called Ephesus guide.com

Just thought you may be interested. We haven't decided yet whether to go with them or just spend the day in Kusadasi. We have been to Ephesus before.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200[/img]

Aussie Gal:

Thanks. I'll look at their site.

Whatever tour you take, do go to Ephesus if you are at all interested in ancient sites. Even the 1/2 day HAL excursion if need be. I went there a couple of year ago. The Library and theatre alone are worth the trip. It was a principal metropolis of the Roman and pre-Roman Aegean and a stomping ground for St. Paul, among others.

I agree Mackinac,

We did a great cruise a few years ago of the Greek Islands which included Kusadasi and Istanbul.

My two favourite excursions from that trip were Delphi near Athens and Ephesus. It is an amazing place, we loved the brothels and the toilets as well as the magnificent library.

Enjoy your cruise on the new Westerndam.

Jennie

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200[/img]

We used a private tour guide in Turkey in 2001. He is something of an expert on Ephesus and is well known both in Ephesus and Istanbul. We have recommended him to others who have also been very pleased with him. We plan to return for the Greek Isles next year and look forward to another day at Ephesus and surrouds with Nejat.

Nejat Incedogan
[email]nincedogan@yahoo.com[/email]

Julie
[email]juliejoe@swbell.net[/email]

Deuteronomy 4:29
<')))><
Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

Aussi Gal,

I was looking on ************.com and didn't see the exact tour your are referring to. Did they customize this tour for your and how many people do you need to get that $50 PP rate?

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean
1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti
09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska
05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska
11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Hi,
there are three websites you can look into.....************, ************, kusadasionline. Of course, they all end with com. They all replied promptly and are very similiar... we are still debating which one to choose..the Kusadasionline requires the least deposit and the cheapest $54US..If anyone has experience with any of the tour, pls share your insight..thanks!!

Thanks Warden!

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean
1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti
09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska
05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska
11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Cactusrose,
I sent them an email from their website asking if they did the Priene, Miletos and Didyna tour. They replied straight away, with the quote including the type of vehicles used, what was included etc. I mentioned that there were only two of us and that was the rate for two, cheaper for more.

They are very reasonable. The ship's excursion for exactly the same trip is $79US each.

I am wondering if anyone has been to these 3 places and was it worth the trip?

Jennie.

We are booked for a custom tour with Meander. I also inquired with Sisan and Crossroads and Sammy's. Sisan claims to be affiliated with ASTA but when you go to that web site, they do not come up. Made me nervous. Crossroads, Sammy's, and Meander on the other hand, do come up as well as on the TURSAB web site. For what it's worth, I figure if these companies are members of the American Society for Travel Agents, their credentials are ok. And BTW, Meander is not making us give them anything upfront and will take credit card or travelers checks the day of our trip. That way, in case we miss the port due to bad weather, we don't have to hassle (although she also assured me that if we wanted to give them credit card ahead of time, and if the boat didn't make it to Kusadasi, they would definately credit back all $ to our card -- it was our option). I like that kind of business person. They weren't the cheapest - they weren't the most expensive. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Just came back from a med. cruise . Never heard of Meander or Crossroads. For Ephesus I used a reputable local taxi company called Kusadasi Taxi [url="http://been.at/Kusadasi"]http://been.at/Kusadasi[/url]
The site lists all of the tours and prices. We paid $50 for our ephesus tour. I found them very courteous, professional, and very quick to respond to my emails. There are many wonderful reviews about this company. They were first class and the guides were helpful, informative and very flexible. Could not have been more pleased from the services. They took us to many spots and treated us like treasured friends. We highly recommend them to everyone (really reasonable).

[This message was edited by [email]mka1934@hotmail.com[/email] on 04-21-04 at 08:16 AM.]

Hi,
Kudasi Taxi sounds awesome. Just a couple of questions:
Was your driver also a guide? or was he strictly a driver?
How long did your tour last including travel to and from port?
You mentioned you were taken to many spots ... how did that work? did the driver let you get on and off at different points of interest? I assume he would know what's best to see?
Many thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
I just got some quotes from a few companies running Ephesus tours for our group of 10. We are interested in a half day (5 hours) private tour seeing the Ephesus, House of Virgin Mary and the Basilica of St. John. Meander gave me one of the best rates - 15USDpp including van, guide, entrance fee and tax. How could that be?

For the record, according to my new Lonely Planet Turkey book Meander Travel is a recommended, reputable company that's been in business in Kusadasi for several years.

Eastern Med/Greek Isles-Star Princess 9/25/04

Alaska-Sun Princess 8/4/03

Western Caribbean-Grand Princess 12/28/03

• 3 weeks later...
We had an English speaking driver. They also have guides but ı am not very much interested with the history. Our driver took us everywhere, we wanted to see and was well worth the money ($50)since you get so much more when you see these places on your own. It took us half an hour drive from the port to Ephesus. Our driver was very professional. He was first class and very helpful. It was something we enjoyed so much.

Evong,
We paid our own entrance fees. Each site we have been was around $5. This was the real cost. $15 including guide, transportation, entarnce fees sounds great but always remember you get what you pay for it. Don't turn your day into a nightmare just to save few dollars.

I hope this information helps !

Archived