Coastal Renaissance.

Yes, we had a good float, better than we thought we might. Great ship, good food, Mexican ports of call were interesting as we had never been that deep into Mexico before. I would estimate that upward of 20% of the pax were "Splendor" types that had moved over...I have never seen/heard that much drinking, partying and foul language on a Princess cruise....at times it made even me blush.

On Saturday morning the fog was so thick in San Pedro we were the only ship allowed into the harbour and only because of the sophistication of the navigation equipment on the Sapphire...but even at that they had two police cars with flashing lights sitting at the corner of the pier to mark it for the bridge staff.

Dennis you been reading Tieleman and his mob to get your Christ info ? I'm thinking that she must be the one they are most afraid of with all the attention she is getting from them.

The rest of our group seems getting an "Attached to Gord" pass from the other side.

On your search for Panama cruise check out the Infinity repo cruise enroute to Ak. season

Getting some of the info from this blogger:

http://alexgtsakumis.com/2010/12/13/basi-virkbc-rail-questions-begin-to-mount-for-christy-clark/

He is just getting started on her and the rumor about the NDP came from a political function I attended on the weekend.

Will check out that repo - I like the NCL Star ending up in Tampa but they are doing it as a Pacific coastal repo to LA and then LA to Tampa - so two cruises and two deposits - the cost of the coastal repo is close to $900.00 for double occupancy - can take the train to LA and hotel for a night fir under $500.00

Princess and HAL are doing theirs as one cruise from Vancouver so while more expensive when you factor in not having to travel to LA it isn`t that much more.

Meet with my financial guy to discuss next year`s monies next week so will have better idea what I can afford.

Cheers

Dennis

Well will be forking out some money towards David Hahn`s salary tomorrow as I head over to the Island for a weekend meeting and partying. Probably will be on the Queen of Cowichan going over.

There - a post about cruising and not a mention of politics.

Cheers

Dennis

Hey, I am up in Las Vegas Christmas shopping (honest) that is what I am doing. I am also trying to buy a new tux; those nasty calories snuck into my closet and shrunk my tux. :rolleyes: Also went around to a number of the local grog shops and priced liquor yesterday....Total Wine has now opened two stores here and they beat everyone including Costco and Lee's....Gordon's vodka $9.99 for 1.75 lt and Black Velvet 10.99 for 1.75 lt...can't buy milk that cheap.:D

BC Ferries must expect to be busy this holiday season -today at Departure Bay in addition to the Queen of Cowichan on the regular run both the Renaissance and the Queen of Coquitlam were sitting a berth - can understand why the Renaissance was there - it`s the back up ship there but why would the Coquitlam be there as well.

Beautiful sunny and crisp, choppy ride over on Friday and calmer and cloudy today but the Coast Mts in there snowy coats are spectacular right now.

Cheers!

Dennis

BC Ferries must expect to be busy this holiday season -today at Departure Bay in addition to the Queen of Cowichan on the regular run both the Renaissance and the Queen of Coquitlam were sitting a berth - can understand why the Renaissance was there - it`s the back up ship there but why would the Coquitlam be there as well.

Beautiful sunny and crisp, choppy ride over on Friday and calmer and cloudy today but the Coast Mts in there snowy coats are spectacular right now.

Cheers!

Dennis

I would guess that the Coquitlam is only berthed there as the go to ship if anything happens to the Renaissance, Cowichan or the Oak Bay...or for that matter even the Surrey. To be at the ready she needs to be at either Departure Bay or at Langdale....where she is sometimes.

Planning a Christmas Day cruise on the Spirit of BC at 1 PM out of Swartz Bay. I think we'll take our chances without a reservation because we don't absolutely have to catch that departure.

We've started to pack for Cuba. We're going down for two weeks on the 26th: four days in Havana and the rest in Varadero. It's our 40th anniversary so travelling with DD and meeting DS down there - another milestone as both kids are paying their own way :) We're looking forward to some sun and cultural warmth.

Our luggage for this trip will be slightly odd because of the difficulty Cubans have in finding things we take for granted. We're assembling a small collection of things to leave there, from acetominophen to guitar strings. My carry-on 'personal item' is a full engine gasket set for a 50-62 Chev 6-cyl, a contribution to keeping some colourful Cuban transport on the road. A barely controlled, life-long obsession with cars has taught me how challenging maintenance is when parts are hard to find. Other suggestions welcome!

Here`s my description of the weather forecast for Vancouver over the holiday period.

Here`s the weather forecast for the next few days in Vancouver - some rain, then some more rain, then even more rain then topped off with some more rain and finally topped off with even more rain - a large search party has been assembled and is starting to search for the Sun and no I don`t mean the newspaper.

Cheers

Dennis

Well we have nice weather here, two DGC, their ugly parents, golf cart is decorated with Christmas lights, wreath, bows and a teddy bear on the roof. We are about to hang the stockings with care...have another glass of cab and go to bed in hopes that St. Nicholas will soon be here.:)

Merry Christmas everyone!

We appear to be in for a change of weather, welcome to some and less so to others. Jeff Masters, over at the Weather Underground says:

The unseasonably cold weather over Europe and the Eastern U.S. is due to break between Christmas and New Year's, as the atmosphere undergoes a major shift in its circulation. The very unusual high pressure region over the Arctic is forecast to break down and be replaced by the typical low pressure region we expect to see in winter. After recording some of its coldest temperatures in 17 years this week, the UK may well see record highs on New Year's Eve as a result of the pattern shift. The pattern shift should bring the Eastern U.S. above-normal temperatures during the last few days of 2010, and a major New Year's Eve snowstorm to Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
So it looks as if the Pacific Northwest is about to go from unseasonably warm to wet and cold.

Just killing time here before our 1 PM departure on the Spirit of BC to join the family. Happy Christmas all.

Got the presents opened - no surprises - a new Blackberry smartphone, telephoto lens for the DSLR camera and the usual gifts cards for eateries etc.

Cruising over to North Delta to my God son`s parents place for turkey dinner.

Tomorrow I will hit the mall but not first thing in the day - still a couple of things on my list that I wii get if I find a price I like.

Enjoy your Christmas day activities whatever they are.

Cheers

Dennis

PD - I see that our canadian built ferry - your favorite - the Island sky has it`s elevator out of service yet again.

Hope you survived the family crush called Christmas and can start to relax and rest up for New Year`s

Cheers

Dennis

Check out page 10 & 11 of today,s Vancouver Sun (yes they did a Sunday) or go online if you have subscription for an article on the banks of the Fraser out near Mission and old Ferrys

About 5 hrs ago or so I spotted a ferry and checked it out from the article I assume that is was the Queen of Sidney. Unusual for BC I think !

Yes - saw the article earlier this morning - sad but there doesn`t appear to be much market for old ferries these days.

Wonder if they can take the elevator from it and put it on the Island Sky - couldn`t be any worse than the one that never seems to be working.

Cheers

Dennis

PD - I see that our canadian built ferry - your favorite - the Island sky has it`s elevator out of service yet again.

Hope you survived the family crush called Christmas and can start to relax and rest up for New Year`s

Cheers

Dennis

Still going nuts down here with 18 mos old and 3.5 year old....chaos would be more like it...ends tomorrow at noon when we drop the whole bundle off at the Las Vegas airport...wouldn't have traded a minute of it.

Santa brought be a Canon D10 for snorkeling ... now I can take pix of the fishes in the Caribbean next week.

PD - don`t know if you say this on the online version of the Province - it`s about In and Out Burgers

http://www.theprovince.com/life/started+with+double+double/4031510/story.html

It`s make me want to head south and grab one.

Cheers

Dennis

Great article, thanks for the link. We were up dropping off our DGC and their nasty parents at LAS this afternoon. We drove by the In N' Out location in Henderson, Sunset at Marks twice...on the way to the new Total Wine (love it :)) and then to Costco but didn't stop in for a burger...shame:eek: Instead we did lattes and scones at Starbucks and dashed thru the wind storms to out nest here. Back up to LAS next Wednesday for an overnight before flying to FLL.

Archived