Coastal Renaissance.

What`s this I see on the news that Las Vegas got a dusting of snow today.

Haven`t heard or seen anything here about Disney not doing Alaska in 2012 but will keep my eyes opened and let you know if I see anything.

Just got an automated call from Christy Clark`s campaign wanting my support so I know that my membership has been processed - I didn`t respond when prompted to indicate who I might be supporting.

FWIW - in 1976 Montreal hosted the Summer Olympics in 1977 they won the Stanley Cup - in 1988 Calgary hosted the Winter Olympics and in 1989 Calgary won the Stanley Cup - since history does have a way of repeating itself dpes that mean that the 40 year drought will come to an end in June.

Cheers

Dennis

What`s this I see on the news that Las Vegas got a dusting of snow today.

Dennis

Evidently they did, there has been snow at higher elevations for the past few days...here at 500 ft the day time temp is hardly making 50*f. LAS is at about 2,500 ft. Our fountain in the back yard is frozen over in the morning. Yesterday I watched with amusement as a pigeon was trying to get a drink and was most frustrated by that hard water.:)

PD - looks like your MLA will be taking a run at the NDP leadership - suppose to announce tomorrow - so far the NDP have a pot smoker and now a gay gentlemen running for the leadership - a nearly disbarred lawyer as it`s president and a policy that indicates that gender is more important than ability and we think the Liberals under Gordo are/were bad.

Have a good cruise - is the weather warm in Florida - no snow here today - just rain - looks like the city has missed the nasty stuff.

Cheers

Dennis

A belated Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to everyone on the Cruise Critic forum.

I've been trying to keep myself up to date with this thread, but have been busy out on the water as of late.

Most recently was getting the Queen of Nanaimo in and out of refit. I've posted some photos for your viewing pleasure to my flickr website.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferrymanbcpix/

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Some time ago I posted an inquiry and a picture of an old BC Ferry that was docked at Mosquito Creek Marina in North Vancouver - well the ship has been renamed the Spirit of the Nation and looks like it has been spruced up - here are a couple of images from yesterday when I was out biking on the North Shore.

Cheers

Dennis

DSC06121.jpg.c611f5bc7593a09c98566b37fdbcf595.jpg

DSC06124.jpg.3038d35bdb59bd62c15825018cc5bb3c.jpg

Some time ago I posted an inquiry and a picture of an old BC Ferry that was docked at Mosquito Creek Marina in North Vancouver - well the ship has been renamed the Spirit of the Nation and looks like it has been spruced up - here are a couple of images from yesterday when I was out biking on the North Shore.

???The Mosquito Creek Marina is owned and operated by the Squamish First Nation. Should we wonder what cruises they're planning?

I was aware of the ownership of the Marina - did a quick google search and couldn`t find any reference to Spirit of the Nation on line - as it is able to carry car perhaps they are planning some sort of First Nations eco trips - Ferryman will probably be along one of these days with the answer as he seems to know what is going on in the Marine world.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

Dennis

Here is the answer, it's the ex Queen of the Islands which was owned by the now defunct St. John's Lodge folks and here is rest of the story:

"She was sold in October 1991 for $375,000 to St. John's Fishing Lodge Ltd., and was converted in to a floating fishing camp. During this conversion process her engines were removed, thus making her reliant on tugs to be moved around. St. John's Fishing Lodge Ltd. fell in to bankruptcy in November 2008, and the Queen of the Islands was subsequently put up for sale

In June 2009, the Queen of the Islands was sold to a private businessman from North Vancouver and renamed the "Spirit of the Nation" in honour of the Squamish Nation, in whose waters she sits. She is permanently moored in Mosquito Creek Marina near the Seabus terminal on the North Shore and has undergone extensive renovation converting it into a wedding and event venue allowing people to have a "supernatural" BC event or wedding without having to leave the conveniences of the city."

http://www.celebrationonwater.com/index.html

I figured you would know the answer - I did do a google search for Spirit of the Nation but nothing came up - at least not in the first two pages - looks like they have done a good job on fixing her up.

Cheers

Dennis

Glad they called it Christy`s kitten and not Christy`s. ______ I will leave it to your imagination where I am going with this.

See what happens when I wake up with a hangover after having one beer for each goal the Canucks scored last night - a refillable pop - chicken fingers and fries and four beers + tip = $25.00 = priceless.

Cheers

Dennis

Interesting that the million $$$ CEO announces that he is leaving in two years - right around the time of the next election unless the new Premier calls one earlier - I think that this is a preemptive strike by Hahn - let me go on my terms in 2 years or fire me and enjoy the subsequent wrongful dismissal law suit.

See that the opposition ferry critic is still bringing up about the ferries being built in Germany BUT doesn`t say anything about the Island Sky - last I checked the elevator still isn`t running properly.

Off to a feast of fish of chips at Mr Pickwick`s on Denman and then home to catch the Canucks against the Ducks.

Cheers

Dennis

Interesting that the million $$$ CEO announces that he is leaving in two years - right around the time of the next election unless the new Premier calls one earlier - I think that this is a preemptive strike by Hahn - let me go on my terms in 2 years or fire me and enjoy the subsequent wrongful dismissal law suit.

See that the opposition ferry critic is still bringing up about the ferries being built in Germany BUT doesn`t say anything about the Island Sky - last I checked the elevator still isn`t running properly.

Off to a feast of fish of chips at Mr Pickwick`s on Denman and then home to catch the Canucks against the Ducks.

Frankly, I think it's less important that an elevator (no doubt done by an elevator contractor, not the shipyard) on one minor vessel (Island Sky) made in BC doesn't works. Instead we should focus on the fact that the three new major vessels (all three times the size of the Island Sky) appear to burn more fuel than the old ones they replaced.

Even if the new ships German were cheaper, my biggest beef is that the current government made it impossible to confirm or deny it; by hiding BC Ferries in their own 'corporation' outside of the Freedom of Information Act. Now all we can do is take David Hahn's word for it. BC Ferries is now so secretive that the Ministry of Transportation (K.Falcon) admitted when Hahn's $1m salary was leaked that even he had no idea how much he was being paid.

The lack of openness in a 100% government venture is frightening.

He may well have a contract which runs for another 2 years...would you walk away from the opportunity to earn $1m per year for the next 2 years. The contract also likely has provisions for compensation for early termination.:)

Left Coast - doubt I will be able to join you on that short cruise - I hope and expect to be working on the Census during that time frame.

I have applied and interviewed for a supervisor`s job and that will keep me busy from mid March to mid July - if I don`t get the supervisors job I will likely be offered an enumerator job and that will take up all of May.

Cheers

Dennis

We talked about getting together on a cruise so:

For anyone that may be interested. We have booked 12 MAY a 3 Dayer on the Zaandam out of Vcr.

We are committed to the Princess junkets so we are out. But where does the Zaandam go, it may be something that we could be interested in the future...just to get the flavour of HAL?

Archived