Coastal Renaissance.

PD - I will answer that as I just checked it out - R/T Vancouver - Seattle - Victoria - there is a small roll call on the HAL for that cruise.

Well a year ago the Olympic Flame was lit and the world watched as we hosted the Olympics - I will be heading out in a few hours all decked out in my Blue Jacket outfit and probably with the Red Mittens to take in the free festivities downtown and then at 4PM watch the Flame be re-lit - I might even fine time for a little politicking as one of the Lib leadership hopefuls will be hosting a party at one of the downtown pubs that is almost across the street from the festivities.

Do hope that the rain holds off.

Cheers

Dennis

I'll be at 999 Canada Place voting today. Hope it's not too crowded. Will let you all know how it went :)

Dennis..you mean if I go on the shortie I won't be counted ?

Too bad it will not work for yous guys. There are several others around here though !! anyone else ??

Some of these older ferries are being refitted as floating fishing lodges for the Queen Charlottes and north. We have one that spends the winter tied up in Porpoise Bay but there is no question of her past identity, she is still wears the Ferry Corps old livery.

You can see a couple of the smaller ferries on the Vancouver Island side as you go on Alaska cruises. They are floating logging camps.

Viv

I didn`t want to pay the $50 delegate fee so didn`t register for the vote - but George Abbott is hosting a party at the Lions Pub from 5 to 8 this evening - hopefully the rain will ease up for the cauldron lighting - I will wear my heavy volunteer pants as they are lined to help absorb the moisture.

Hopefully you voting delegates will follow the instructions of the candidates and vote to change.

Cheers

Dennis

Well I certainly didn't get any instructions on how to vote.......:p

Weighted vote passed with an amendment that you must vote at least 1st & 2nd preference. More of course if you wish.

I haven't quite figured out how that amendment will work.

Raining like crazy when I headed for home as they just started to block of the street for the torch lighting. UT is guaranteed to get wet. :(

Thanks Left Coast for the update - I actually got the results from Abbott`s people when they came into the Lions Pub - I was having a beer with a couple of other Blue Jackets when George arrived - talked to George - they are very happy that the weighted ballot passed - He thinks it is likely to go to the 4th round before a victor is declared - he started to explain how it works but others were wanting his attention so I didn`t get a full answer but I suspect that the Party website will post it now that the voting method has been determined.

As for getting wet - walking down to the site was wet - after I got to the cauldron I was approached as were other Blue Jackets to come inside and then head out with the official Party which was really John Furlong - the outgoing Premier met us outside - we headed out and noticed that the rain was almost stopped - when I left the site to head over to the pub the skies were clearing and the sun trying to shine. After the lighting many of the people there wanted us Blue Jackets to pose for a group shot which went on for several minutes - I have lots of video and photos to upload but this is a cruise site so in keeping with the spirit of the site I am going to cruise on out of here. Our singing of O Canada left a lot to be desired - guess we are a little rusty after a years layoff.

Cheers

Dennis

UT Thanks for the info on the torch stuff. (it's near the water that counts as cruise for me)

Interestingly GC did not show at the "Convention" probably a good thing I guess.

I had a chance to talk with George last week out here.. nice guy for a blueberry farmer from Sicamous. :)

LBC, what is going to be the procedure for voting, are all members of the party going to receive a mail ballot or what? I wonder if Mickey Mouse will send an angry member of the party like me one, I just looked at my card and I am good until 10/12.

Pd phone or on line is how we will vote. How we are going to be notified and get info is not clear to me as yet. Likely via email I would think for most but how that's really going to happen is beyond me. we will all need some sort of pin or I'd either way. They keep such poor records who knows who will get notified and who won't .

They signed up around 50000 in the last weeks. I have my doubts as to how well this all is going to happen. Fingers crossed

Btw Mickey was not there she was too I'll to travel apparently.

PD - I would think that the details will be on the Party website in the next couple of days - since I rejoined I have been getting emails from both the candidates and the Party with messages etc - have you been getting any emails - if not they probably don`t have an email address for you - if I find out anything i was pass it along to you either here or by email.

As for Gordon not being at the convention he has stated that he wasn`t getting involved -+ he was at Robson Square with Furlong and then down at the Cauldron.

It is interesting that on Abbott`s Facebook book page he posted a photo of himself enjoying a glass of wine with Moira Stillwell and Kevin Falcon who dropped by to say hi - no sign of Christy and she was across the street at the Waterfront Hotel where Kevin was as well.

As I understand the vote - you will vote for a minimum of 2 - the candidate with the least first place votes drop off - likely the Mayor of Parksville - they then transfer his second choices to the other candidates - if not one still hasn`t reached 50 % + 1 then the next persons - likely Stillwell second choice votes are transferred - it probably won`t be until they get to the third round that a possible winner will emerge and it make go to a fourth.

That in simple form I beleive is the process.

Cheers

Dennis

I am also enjoying reading my autographed copy of Furlong`s book - Patriot Hearts - co-authored by Gary Mason - at times he didn`t pull punches like when the CBC didn`t get the broadcast rights - I would never suggest that the CBC is getting back at him over the death of the luger on opening day - apparently Nodar had only gone down the luge course 25 times before the accident - a point which some critics seem to forget. While tragic and it was on many of our minds yesterday as we reflected on the Games when the three international federation approved the course it is hard to blame the organizers.

PD - I see the Coyotoes had about 8000 at there last game - the Giants draw that many at many of there games.

The soapbox is now closed for supper and wont reopen until a later time.

Cheers

Dennis

PD - I see the Coyotoes had about 8000 at there last game - the Giants draw that many at many of there games.

And the Coyotes are winning, it is all over the local press (since the Super Bowl and the Phoenix Open) but Gary Littleman, the pride of the NBA, will have his way.:eek:

PD - I would think that the details will be on the Party website in the next couple of days - since I rejoined I have been getting emails from both the candidates and the Party with messages etc - have you been getting any emails - if not they probably don`t have an email address for you - if I find out anything i was pass it along to you either here or by email.

Thank you, I would like to vote.:)

According to a video on Christy`s web site featuring Pamela Martin it explains that everyone who is a member should get a PIN number in the mail - so provided you are getting your mail forwarded in a timely manner you should be okay. When I get mind I will let you know so as to alert you to look for yours.

More rain today.

Cheers

Dennis

PD - here`s what`s posted on the Party web site about people who are away from their home residence - you may need to get your friends or one of your sons to open the mailer and email the info to you.

``How will members cast Leadership ballots?

Members will be using online and phone voting to cast ballots in the February 26th Leadership Vote. There are no physical voting locations. All Party members will be sent a unique PIN and voting instructions by mail to their residential address within one week of the vote.

Can members who are away on February 26th vote?

Yes. Voting is available anywhere in the world on the 26th, but you will need to make arrangements to have your unique PIN relayed to you after it arrives by mail at your household. The mailing of PINs cannot be redirected to any address other than your residential address.``

Interesting developments in the race today - seems like George and Kevin are supporting each other and some expect Mike to go to Christy because she is less likely to call any inquiries over BC Rail or the payoff to end the trìal thus making it easier for him to hide behind the issue.

Cheers

Dennis

Pd - I think you stated that at one time you lived on Lummi Island - if so you might be interested in this article from the Komo News website:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/116368554.html

Some of the comments are even more interesting

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the link. We never lived there but did have a weekend/vacation home there for 22 years. That Ricardo Camarillo was a neighbor. This lease issue has been going on for at least a couple of years...there is a lease in place that provides for renewals but it seems that someone in the Indian Department forgot to sign the document 25 years ago and the band is taking advantage of this. I think now the rubber has hit the pavement a deal will be struck, it comes down to dollars. As for the comments there has always been this bad feeling between islanders and "right" leaning mainland folk who forget they ride a very heavily subsidized county buses, the ferry is part of the same county transportation system.

That all said we sold out of Lummi about 8 years ago so I can now sit back and watch this unfold with some detachment.

The one thing that I don`t understand about this issue - there are some stating that the ferry could run from Fairhaven to the Island although a much longer trip - so does that mean that the ferry dock at issue is on the mainland or Bellingham side and not on the Island or is there a second dock on the island.

We also have to remember that when someone says they want to cut waste etc it refers to what the other person is getting and not themselves

Cheers

Dennis

The trip would be from the Lummi Island dock to likely the Alaska Ferry dock in Fairhaven and you are quite correct it is a much longer trip, upwards of an hour. The Whatcom Chief only handles about 50 walkons and about 20 cars...so it would be a huge hardship on the islanders. The ferry really wasn't designed for this kind of a run. Some years ago the Nooksack River flood and blocked our ability to get from the current dock to I-5 and we were stranded on the island for a number of days. Eventually the ferry went over to the Alaska Ferry terminal and picked up a transit bus which was strapped to the deck of the ferry and then they started just a passenger only run to Fairhaven, at that point it could carry about 100 pax....and that is why I was 4 days late getting to the office...honest.:D

PD - according to an email I got today from the Party your PIN should arrive in the mail either tomorrow or Thursday - if you don`t get it in time there is a process where you will still be able to vote -I can relay that info via email to you if necessary.

Cruising out of here in a few minutes to head to the Pub to watch the Canucks and the Habs.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived