Canceling/Postponing a Cruise?

ktmac

I very much doubt if this would work for a couple of reasons. 1--The credit dispute must be filed within 60 days of billing, and since most cruises are paid off at least 75-80 before sailing, most people are outside the time limit. 2--The 'service' is time and date specific and involves contractual performance by both parties; as long as Princess sails the ship at the day and time indicated, the passenger is responsible for being there, with documents in hand to board on time. Failure to do so is not grounds for a refund.

That is exactly correct. Just because you pay with a c.c. doesn't mean you can simply dispute it because you can't fulfill your end of the contract you signed when you booked the cruise.

OP, I hope it works for you with Princess with the ship being oversold. Even if they just give you what you paid as a credit toward another cruise, it is better than losing everything.

You have far more luck with requesting this with the cruise line than with an insurance company. The insurance company looks for ways to not approve a claim and I have yet to see someone win a claim if they did not have the proper documentation and absolutely undisputable proof that falls within the policy they bought.

Don't know how long your cruise is but thought I mention something that happened to me many years ago when my parents were up in years. My mother took a turn for the worse a day before I was leaving for 12 days on a Crystal Cruise. It was an expensive cruise, so we decided to go, since my sister was here and able to take care of Mom. We went with some misgivings and Mom lived another 7 months.

Had a doctor tell me my Dad was well and would live for awhile, he died a week later.

Only God knows what will happen.

How hard would it be for you to go and return if need be?

I think trying to get Princess to respond is difficult if not impossible.

We don't take insurance out either, even to this day. If something happens we will deal with it as best we can. Wish you the best.

First let me say how sorry I am for you to have to be going through this. I have been there and done that and it is a very difficult time ahead you will be facing.

Now, please don't flame me but I don't understand why people chose not to buy insurance and then expect to reap the benefits of insurance when something goes wrong. If you don't buy insurance it means you don't want to part with the money for the insurance and are willing to gamble that you won't have to cancel and lose your money. Right???? So when you threw the dice and lost why do you expect to reap the benefits of insurance? I always purchase insurance. Why should you get the same benefit as I do? It isn't fair.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. If you do not pay for insurance, don't expect to get your money back or a future credit. There is a reason they call it insurance.

Again, please don't flame me. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it even if you do not agree.

Linda

First let me say how sorry I am for you to have to be going through this. I have been there and done that and it is a very difficult time ahead you will be facing.

Now, please don't flame me but I don't understand why people chose not to buy insurance and then expect to reap the benefits of insurance when something goes wrong. If you don't buy insurance it means you don't want to part with the money for the insurance and are willing to gamble that you won't have to cancel and lose your money. Right???? So when you threw the dice and lost why do you expect to reap the benefits of insurance? I always purchase insurance. Why should you get the same benefit as I do? It isn't fair.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. If you do not pay for insurance, don't expect to get your money back or a future credit. There is a reason they call it insurance.

Again, please don't flame me. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it even if you do not agree.

Linda

She bought insurance (a 3rd party, not Princess). Unfortunately they are realizing it doesn't cover unless there is a death. It doesn't cover for sickness in this case because they bought it at the wrong time (pre-existing condition situation).

Under any other circumstance, I would agree with you. I buy insurance for each trip and would be frustrated if people were getting the benefit and didn't buy insurance. In this situation, I do feel sorry for the OP because they did buy insurance and tried to do the right thing. Unfortunately, they bought the wrong insurance or right insurance at the wrong time.

If you paid by credit card, dispute the charge with your credit card company. You paid for a service and you did not get it. I know other people who have done this successfully. Good luck.

What a rouge idea. The service was (will be) provided... the ship will sail. The OP wants to pull out of the contract.... not the cruise line.

She bought insurance (a 3rd party, not Princess). Unfortunately they are realizing it doesn't cover unless there is a death. It doesn't cover for sickness in this case because they bought it at the wrong time (pre-existing condition situation).

Under any other circumstance, I would agree with you. I buy insurance for each trip and would be frustrated if people were getting the benefit and didn't buy insurance. In this situation, I do feel sorry for the OP because they did buy insurance and tried to do the right thing. Unfortunately, they bought the wrong insurance or right insurance at the wrong time.

This is why it is so important to read and compare and understand exactly what is covered or not before you buy insurance. The best advise is to buy the insurance at the time you are booking the cruise. You usually have the most coverage for anything pre-existing (for you or your family) by buying the insurance at that time. Don't wait until you are making final payment as anything can happen that you never think about.

Well, it seems Princess was able to help us after all... our travel agent got back to us and said they'd let us postpone.

While I totally understand why people who buy insurance could be annoyed, they did say if the cruise wasn't oversold they couldn't have done it. Turns out, we got a break.

We've only just started cruising (but booked three in 15 months), but I suspect we'll be devoted Princess passengers forevermore. And we'll probably buy insurance!

Call Princess, ask to speak to someone in customer service who has some CLOUT!, explain your situation and see if you can resolve your problem. If the ship is wait-listed, there should be no problem. Good Luck and our sympathy.

Archived