Canceling/Postponing a Cruise?

ktmac

I think we're out of luck here... but we are supposed to leave in two weeks, exactly, on an Eastern Caribbean cruise that is sold out.

Sadly, my boyfriend's mother, who has had cancer for six years, suddenly took a very bad turn and is incredibly ill. She might not even make it till we leave. I hadn't bought Princess insurance, but I did go outside and buy insurance that, because I didn't buy it within 10 days of final payment, covers only if she passes away on or before the trip. We won't get refunded if she doesn't pass away beforehand.

We don't want to do the trip so we can be with the family. Does anyone know of anyway Princess would let us postpone? Seems to me two weeks out and a waiting list they'd be willing to budge... but so far, custumer service tells me there's nothing they can do.

Thank you!

Did you book through a TA?

You may try calling Princess ASAP and explain the situation to them, I have heard of once in a blue moon issuing a future credit of some kind especially if the cruise is sold out and has a waiting list.

All you can do is try. :)

If you didn't get the trip cancelation insurance I am afraid you may be out of luck and you may or may not have to eat the cost of the trip. I would try to talk to a princess customer service supervisor if possible they are the ones that can get things done.

This is going to be a tough one as without the pre-existing condition clause on the insurance, not a lot you can do.

Have your TA throw you on the mercy of the cruise lines (especially since this sailing is sold out). I doubt it will work, but it is worth a try.

This is the perfect example of why pre-existing conditions need to be covered, it isn't only for the passengers but for other family members that could have a problem even though they aren't sailing with you.

Best of luck on this one, I sure hope you are able to arrange something, but I would not expect too much. :(

I would also try through your travel insurance company as well. See if you can throw yourselves on their mercy while you're at this.

Sorry to hear about your BF's mother, best of luck resolving this. Our thoughts are with you on this one.

The pre-condition clause normally requires that the "condition" was stable 180 days before the purchase of insurance. You may try to convince the insurance company that the condition changed suddenly afterwards. Medical evidence will be required for this. Am I wrong about this? -- other responders please correct me. /Sultan

Sultan, you are correct, and it is for the entire 180 (some are different # of days) day period prior to purchase.

ktmac-It really depends on the exact policy you purchased. Some of the third party insurance policies only apply pre-exisiting conditions to the travellers, and non-travelling family members do not have an exclusion due to pre-existing conditions. Others apply it to any medical situation of a family member, whether or not travelling.

If the mother has truly taken an unforeseen turn for the worse, it might 'escape' the pre-existing exclusion, or it might not. It depends on how the Dr. would describe her condition at the time of policy purchase and what has happened to change that condition.

I think we're out of luck here... but we are supposed to leave in two weeks, exactly, on an Eastern Caribbean cruise that is sold out.

Sadly, my boyfriend's mother, who has had cancer for six years, suddenly took a very bad turn and is incredibly ill. She might not even make it till we leave. I hadn't bought Princess insurance, but I did go outside and buy insurance that, because I didn't buy it within 10 days of final payment, covers only if she passes away on or before the trip. We won't get refunded if she doesn't pass away beforehand.

We don't want to do the trip so we can be with the family. Does anyone know of anyway Princess would let us postpone? Seems to me two weeks out and a waiting list they'd be willing to budge... but so far, custumer service tells me there's nothing they can do.

Thank you!

Just went thru that, supposed to cruise to Panama in Feb and son got sick. Only thing was to cancel and rebook, luckily we had insurance, got back a lot of it. Such a sad time, they won't let you postpone. We did rebook for April:(

Sorry to hear about your BF's mother; always a difficult time and I understand completely why you don't want to be away at this time.

The others have given you good advice that I really can't add to. While you don't need this stress right now, I'd keep plugging away at the insurance company first and then the cruiseline. It's very unlikely that the cruiseline will budge because they have a policy they have to maintain because otherwise, why would people buy insurance if they could get the cruiseline to change their policy just for them?

This really does point up the necessity of looking at cruise insurance and making sure you have the type you need. "Stuff" happens all the time, unfortunately.

I want to say sorry about the situation. It is very tricky dealing with insurance and trying to cover all of your bases. I have a parent with pre-existing conditions and sometimes I double insure myself (3rd party insurance and Princess insurance) to cover several situations. Overkill, I know but once I only bought 3rd party insurance and almost had to cancel for a similar situation that wasn't covered by insurance.

One main comment here is that several years from now, the money you may lose really won't be that important. What is really important is that you are able to spend the time necessary with the loved one. I say this because I have been in a similar situation.

Prayers to your family and good luck dealing with Princess.

You may want to check with Princess (or your TA) and see if they are offering "move over" offers for being overbooked.

This is the perfect example of why pre-existing conditions need to be covered, it isn't only for the passengers but for other family members that could have a problem even though they aren't sailing with you.

(

This part is the most confusing part ever. I have called 3rd party insurance companies and Princess insurance previously and gotten mixed answers on if "people not traveling" need to be in the pre-existing condition clause or not.

Princess should be able to help out, I have had no problems in the past, only thing being you need to pick another cruise when you cancel and pay a cost of around $200.
I wouldn't give the OP false hopes. After all, if this is done all the time "with no problems," why the heck am I paying for insurance?

So sorry to hear of her illness. I can understand you not wanting to take the cruise.

This is a prime example of what makes Princess Insurance popular with many people. In this case: 1) had there been no change in her condition for the 60 days prior to paying for the insurance - not the mentioned 180 days being stable- you would have been covered under the pre-existing conditions and 2) if she wasn't stable you could cancel for any non covered reason and receive the 90% of non refundable cruise fare - Princess Travel Care Gold- towards another cruise.

People post how "heartless" Princess is in cases like this but they do offer everyone the opportunity to purchase their insurance which gives either a refund or some cruise credit no matter what the situation is -even buyer's remorse.

I agree Pam. I read that post where they will let you reschedule if you lose $200 and wondered why I buy insurance on every cruise.

I do feel sorry for the people involved when I read posts where tragedy hits and someone doesn't have any insurance, but I also frequently read in those situations where people say to ask the cruiseline. It is starting to make me wonder if the cruiselines do let people rebook.

If the cruiselines do tend to let you reschedule for a small fee, I may stop buying insurance.

So sorry to hear about your "Loved One"! I would definitely call Princess direct and your TA right away. My husband had a heart attack a few years back and We unfortunately had no insurance, so lost everything. After, We learned the hard way, We were told We needed pre-existing insurance coverage as He has this condition even though He is well once again. This also applies to immediate Family Members. If they had this condition before you booked, You need pre-existing condition in your insurance when you booked. I would give it a shot. Maybe you will be lucky and they will give you another cruise date. Worth trying! Good Luck! IKE

If you paid by credit card, dispute the charge with your credit card company. You paid for a service and you did not get it. I know other people who have done this successfully. Good luck.

I can't see this working unless the credit card offers travel insurance. Since the service is offered and goes on as scheduled, it is not the cruise lines fault someone doesn't show up.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Just wanted to let you know the update.

They normally could not do anything for us, except the ship is oversold. So, they might see if Princess wants the space. So.... knowing we are desperate, we won't be getting the offers that some people might get last minute... but they will "consider" freeing up our room and allowing us to put the money down on the next available sailing - which is actually a longer trip and leaves from NY (right near us, so that's not bad).

If you paid by credit card, dispute the charge with your credit card company. You paid for a service and you did not get it. I know other people who have done this successfully. Good luck.
I very much doubt if this would work for a couple of reasons. 1--The credit dispute must be filed within 60 days of billing, and since most cruises are paid off at least 75-80 before sailing, most people are outside the time limit. 2--The 'service' is time and date specific and involves contractual performance by both parties; as long as Princess sails the ship at the day and time indicated, the passenger is responsible for being there, with documents in hand to board on time. Failure to do so is not grounds for a refund.

Archived