Looking for a good eyecream

satchiesmom

Thank you Jungle Jane! I never thought I would get criticized for asking a simple beauty question, geez!!:eek: I just wanted some simple suggestions. Thanks to all of you who gave those:D !

Susan

Who criticized you? Wasn't Happy K's or me.

Both of us wanted to get a better feeling for what you're looking for, rather than simply a list of products that may not work for you, so you don't end up spending money on products that you don't want.

For the past 2 years I've been a professional skin care editor with a magazine and try out tons of products every week.

You want simple suggestions only? Okay, here are some excellent eye creams:

SK-11

DDF

Cle de Peau

ROC

Amore Pacifica

La Prairie

Caudalie

Avene

Of course, they're all good for different reasons, and address different issues. But it's a simple list, as you requested.

Happy K's suggestion of going to a store and getting recommendations is an excellent one. And if you have a Sephora near you, it's probably the best since the sales people don't sway you to one brand. And Sephora is good about sampling.

Who criticized you? Wasn't Happy K's or me.

Both of us wanted to get a better feeling for what you're looking for, rather than simply a list of products that may not work for you, so you don't end up spending money on products that you don't want.

For the past 2 years I've been a professional skin care editor with a magazine and try out tons of products every week.

You want simple suggestions only? Okay, here are some excellent eye creams:

SK-11

DDF

Cle de Peau

ROC

Amore Pacifica

La Prairie

Caudalie

Avene

Of course, they're all good for different reasons, and address different issues. But it's a simple list, as you requested.

Happy K's suggestion of going to a store and getting recommendations is an excellent one. And if you have a Sephora near you, it's probably the best since the sales people don't sway you to one brand. And Sephora is good about sampling.

I have a specific for you, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have dark circle, always have even as a child. I have medium skin tone, and now am in 40's, and the upper eye lid has take on a dk tan brown cast, any help on hiding or getting rid of these would be wonderful.

Jane110,

I realize that when posting to a board, things can be misinterpreted, and I may have misinterpreted your response as criticism when none was intended. I was not asking for a prescription or a professional opinion, just suggestions. One of my best friends for many years was manager of the cosmetics department of a major upscale department store, and supplied me with products - she is retired now and the flow has stopped.:(

As I stated before in a post, even a recommendation from a dermatologist doesn't always work; a recommendation from mine gave me a bad rash under the eye. Also got a rec from a plastic surgeon at a party, and that didn't work for me either. Professional opinions aren't the be all and end all in selecting cosmetics. At least not in my case.

I don't always take ratings in magazines seriously either, sometimes I try what I read about, sometimes I don't.

I guess to me your post sounded as though you were lecturing, not giving suggestions. My point with this post is to let you know that I have access to lots of professional advice, I just posted here to perhaps find something I hadn't thought of, and because I enjoy what the other posters have to say.

Now, let's get back to beauty/fashion, shall we? :)

Susan

No one was criticising you at all, merely making suggestions. I find it so odd to think that some people will read negative tone into posts (not saying that's what you did). If you try every brand here that is mentioned, you may spend hundreds and not find what works for you. Even if it's loved by a dozen different people.

MY suggestion and others have nothing to do with a persons intelligence, only just being realistic and helpful. You can have 30 people respond and have 30 different opinions and mine is just that you may receive more valuable advice from a professional other than people who cannot see you and do not know you nor your skin type. Sorry that it was taken in any other light.

Best of luck to you in your search.

Thanks for expressing that so well and saving me the typing:).

I have a specific for you, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have dark circle, always have even as a child. I have medium skin tone, and now am in 40's, and the upper eye lid has take on a dk tan brown cast, any help on hiding or getting rid of these would be wonderful.

I was at Kohl's today and they had samples of something called "instant lightening eye cream". Might be worth a try since they were free samples.

satchiesmom you can go on their web site. It will have all of their products listed there. They have so much and it does work trust me. I wasn't a believer until I started to use it. Its amazing how a natural product works without all of the preservatives in it.:)

Sometimes dark circles are caused by the congestion of blood vessels. As we age, our skin gets thinner and this congestion gets more obvious. Caffeine, vit K, and green tea are said to be good for this. So you could do a search for eye creams with these products. Here are a few I've tried that I like.

Biotherm Hydra Detox has ginko biloba and caffeine for this condition. (products w/ caffeine as well as Vitamin K are excellent for "congestion" under the eyes which often causes dark circles)

www.biotherm-usa.com

MD Skin Care Lift and Lighten Eye Cream has ingredients which will help thicken the skin by boosting collagen growth, thus making it a little more opaque so that the blood vessels are less noticable.

www.mdskincare.com

Amore Pacific Time Response Eye Renewal Cream contains caffeine, ginseng and green tea which aids in under congestion. Also has amethyst powder which has a slightly reflective quality to divert the dark areas/

www.bergdorfgoodman.com

Often, the way our eye socket is in our faces adds shadows for some people and not for others. There's simply nothing that can be done about that. It's about light reflection. As we get older and lose fat in our faces, our eye socket gets more defined and that angle gets sharper. The light reflection becomes even more unkind the darkness under our eyes and inner corners appear darker.

As far as eyelid darkness, I have never come across anything for that specifically. Fortunately, that problem can be easily remedied with eye shadow.

Im still offended by the notion that a man cannot wear eye cream without being called METRO.;)

How would anyone know you're wearing it?

So, in my opinion, men wearing eye cream are not necessarily Metro.

But announcing to the world that you wear eye cream definitely is! :)

However, what's wrong w/ being Metro anyway???

Jane110,

I realize that when posting to a board, things can be misinterpreted, and I may have misinterpreted your response as criticism when none was intended. I was not asking for a prescription or a professional opinion, just suggestions. One of my best friends for many years was manager of the cosmetics department of a major upscale department store, and supplied me with products - she is retired now and the flow has stopped.:(

As I stated before in a post, even a recommendation from a dermatologist doesn't always work; a recommendation from mine gave me a bad rash under the eye. Also got a rec from a plastic surgeon at a party, and that didn't work for me either. Professional opinions aren't the be all and end all in selecting cosmetics. At least not in my case.

I don't always take ratings in magazines seriously either, sometimes I try what I read about, sometimes I don't.

I guess to me your post sounded as though you were lecturing, not giving suggestions. My point with this post is to let you know that I have access to lots of professional advice, I just posted here to perhaps find something I hadn't thought of, and because I enjoy what the other posters have to say.

Now, let's get back to beauty/fashion, shall we? :)

Susan

I realize that just because someone suggests a product doesn't mean that you're going to like it - whether that person is a doctor, a salesperson, an editor or just a pal.

It's always a matter of trial and error.

My point was that the more information a question contains, the better the feedback. You want the eye cream to do something for you. How would we know what that is unless you tell us?

It wasn't a criticism, but a request for more information.

A "help us to help you" post.

Nope, totally not you :)

The thing that I think is totally not nice to do is to come down so hard on someone who is just asking a question-I've been on the receiving end of this person's harshness and they tend to make ppl feel like a jerk for asking a question or for the answer they give. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this person seems think their answers are IT and have no tolerance for anyone else's point of view! It obviously happened to this poster and I've seen the guilty party come across quite harshly to other posters simply asking questions as well as giving their opinion. That, IMO is not a nice thing to do at all.

Oh puleeze! You're obviously referring to me. And I wasn't being harsh, just asking the OP for more info on her question. I don't see how just throwing out a bunch of recommendations is going to help her when other people might like something for totally different reasons.

As Happy K's said, why have her spending money on things that won't solve her issues.

Because I phrase it in a straightforward "just the facts ma'am" style doesn't mean I'm harsh. I'm just straighforward, and don't see any reason to add flowery words to a simple request for information.

I never think that my suggestions are IT. You couldn't be more wrong! I think this place is a terrific exchange of information and I've gotten some great advice from many of the people here and I've given some great suggestions too. But I've never even hinted that my recommendation for a brand, product, or style was better than anyone elses!

I

I'm quite sure the guilty party know well who they are b'c I'm quite sure they enjoy trying to make others feel like a jerk. I have just added this mean person to my ignore list, something I've never done before. Makes me sick to think ppl come here for friendly Q & A and get nasty mean answers.

As I said, I know you're referring to me, but I'm guilty of nothing. I don't try to make anyone feel like a jerk -don't know why you would give me such power.

Well, here's a question regarding eye cream that I have never seen asked before.

I have VERY, VERY oily eyelids. Would using an eyecream on the lids, as well as the orbital bone, help regulate the oil production?

If so any suggestions on what eye cream would work for this?

I must admit I do not use eyecream regularly. I do not have many wrinkles or lines (gee, I guess super oily skin does have its perks :rolleyes: ), so I find my regular moisturizer and night creams are enough for me. But I would use one if I thought it would help the oily eyelid situation.

Well' date=' here's a question regarding eye cream that I have never seen asked before.

I have VERY, VERY oily eyelids. Would using an eyecream on the lids, as well as the orbital bone, help regulate the oil production?

If so any suggestions on what eye cream would work for this?

I must admit I do not use eyecream regularly. I do not have many wrinkles or lines (gee, I guess super oily skin does have its perks :rolleyes: ), so I find my regular moisturizer and night creams are enough for me. But I would use one if I thought it would help the oily eyelid situation.[/quote']

I've always been told to skip the lids when using eyecream b'c they tend to be oily on folks.

Hmmmm...hopefully someone else with oily lids with have some advice for you :)

I've always been told to skip the lids when using eyecream b'c they tend to be oily on folks.

Hmmmm...hopefully someone else with oily lids with have some advice for you :)

Thanks. That's what I've always thought, too.

But the thought occurred to me as I was reading this thread that perhaps a good eye cream could work the same way a good moisturizer does.

It took me far too many years to realize that I was actually making my oily skin worse by trying to "dry it out", rather than balancing the oil production with a good moisturizer. Once I clued in to this, my skin has very much improved.

Thanks. That's what I've always thought' date=' too.

But the thought occurred to me as I was reading this thread that perhaps a good eye cream could work the same way a good moisturizer does.

It took me far too many years to realize that I was actually making my oily skin worse by trying to "dry it out", rather than balancing the oil production with a good moisturizer. Once I clued in to this, my skin has very much improved.[/quote']

I see what you're saying, just like you use a certain formulation of moisturizer to control oily skin elsewhere on your face, maybe there is a formulation of eyecream to do the same on your lids. There must be oil-free formulas....now I'm curious!

Experts?

HIgh C's,

Eye cream is made for the under eyes primarily. I have the opposide problem from yours, in that I have very dry skin.

There's really nothing you need to do for oily lids, unless they cause you a problem. If it makes your eye make-up disappear, then using an eye make-up primer under your shadow would remedy that.

As a general rule, people with oily skin should not use eye cream, but instead, use eye gel. It will keep the area moisturized but not oily.

It sounds like you don't need to use an eye cream/gel for moisturizing, but instead might want to use one for other concerns - such as vitamins, anti-aging or sun protection properties.

EB5 eye gel from JCPenney (or Amazon.com). Has done wonders for my puffiness and dark circles under my eyes, and softened the crow's feet. My 15 yr old daughter even asked if I was using something different, after only 4 days of use! I also use EB5 moisturizer now, and my face hasn't felt this soft in years. And I'm 43, BTW.

http://www.amazon.com/eb5-Formula-5-Ounce-Jars-Pack/dp/B000FTTFCA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1206033087&sr=8-4

You can get 2 jars for $35.00 from Amazon.

HIgh C's,

Eye cream is made for the under eyes primarily. I have the opposide problem from yours, in that I have very dry skin.

There's really nothing you need to do for oily lids, unless they cause you a problem. If it makes your eye make-up disappear, then using an eye make-up primer under your shadow would remedy that.

As a general rule, people with oily skin should not use eye cream, but instead, use eye gel. It will keep the area moisturized but not oily.

It sounds like you don't need to use an eye cream/gel for moisturizing, but instead might want to use one for other concerns - such as vitamins, anti-aging or sun protection properties.

Thanks Jane (and JungleJane!).

I use a primer under my shadow, which certainly alleviates the problem. But I just wondered if a specific cream would help to control it, rather than mask it, if you know what I mean?

But, judging from the responses you have kindly given me, I think I am correct in not using an eye-cream! My moisturizer (along with the oily skin) seems to be doing a good job of keeping the wrinkles at bay. I am 50 this summer, and still relatively wrinkle free.

I use a primer under my shadow' date=' which certainly alleviates the problem. But I just wondered if a specific cream would help to control it, rather than mask it, if you know what I mean?

But, judging from the responses you have kindly given me, I think I am correct in not using an eye-cream! My moisturizer (along with the oily skin) seems to be doing a good job of keeping the wrinkles at bay. I am 50 this summer, and still relatively wrinkle free.[/quote']

Sounds like you've got it all under control!

The only thing I would advise is to make sure you use a good suncreen around the under eye area to help you stay wrinkle free! :)

I use a primer under my shadow' date=' which certainly alleviates the problem. But I just wondered if a specific cream would help to control it, rather than mask it, if you know what I mean?

But, judging from the responses you have kindly given me, I think I am correct in not using an eye-cream! My moisturizer (along with the oily skin) seems to be doing a good job of keeping the wrinkles at bay. I am 50 this summer, and still relatively wrinkle free.[/quote']

You're welcome!

You are sailing the med on my wedding anniversary! Enjoy :)

Jane110.....can you recommend an eyecream that has sunscreen? Maybe something available in the drug store?

I'm using Roc right now, which I like, BUT I don't think it has any sunscreen.

I'm religious about SPF on the rest of my face, but have always been afraid putting any too near my eyes would sting.

THANKS

Archived