Looking for a good eyecream

satchiesmom

The only thing I would advise is to make sure you use a good suncreen around the under eye area to help you stay wrinkle free! :)

You make an excellent point here, Jane, as I do tend to forget about that. I have been so consumed with controlling the oil all these years, that I have taken everything else for granted. Now that I am approaching that "magical" side of 50, I need to change my habits. Any suggestions on a good sunscreen eyecream?

You are sailing the med on my wedding anniversary! Enjoy :)

Well, I will certainly have a "beverage" for you while on board!!;) The last time we did the Med, it was for our 25th anniversary (in 2006). That entire trip was magical from beginning to end. That's why we decided to go back.

HIgh C's, Buster 27,

For the past year I've been using DDF's under eye cream w/ sunblock

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P21255&categoryId=B70#moreInfo

It's been just about the only eye cream that I've tried with an SPF that doesn't burn/irritate my eyes when it gets close.

Just yesterday, I interviewed the owner of the skincare/make-up store Blue Mercury www.BlueMercury.com

and she told me that she felt that that the Skinceuticals line has the best sunblock on the market. I haven't personally tried it yet (but will very soon), but I use other Skinceutical products, (BEST liquid vit C in the universe) and the cosmetic dermatologist I consult w/ professionally also rates them as one of the best brands, so I take her word. And the Skinceuticals has a higher SPF than the DDF.

http://www.bluemercury.com/product/category3/sun+care/skinceuticals+physical+uv+defense+spf+30.do?search=basic&keyword=SPF+40&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

BTW, Blue Mercury will probably become my new favorite place for skin care and make-up. There are about 20 stores around the country, and a website. I had a fabulous facial yesterday in their NYC store that just opened 3 weeks ago.

They carry less brands than Sephora - maybe 100 - but the owner really edits it down to the best. And their sales people have more knowledge than Sephora's people. So if there's one in your area, check it out!

and she told me that she felt that that the Skinceuticals line has the best sunblock on the market. I haven't personally tried it yet (but will very soon), but I use other Skinceutical products, (BEST liquid vit C in the universe) and the cosmetic dermatologist I consult w/ professionally also rates them as one of the best brands, so I take her word. And the Skinceuticals has a higher SPF than the DDF.

Jane - have you ever used Cellex C Vitamin C High Potency serum? If so, do you think the Skinceutical is better? If so, why? Just curious, as the Cellex C isn't cheap, so I don't want to continue with it if there is something better out there!

Any suggestions on a good sunscreen eyecream?

I use Kiehls moisturizing eyestick with spf 30. It doesn't "migrate" into my eyes and I can travel with it without worrying if it fits in my ziploc bag of liquids or not:D This is my travel eye treatment.

If you want something heavier (and more anti-aging/anti-wrinkle) I've also used the Clinique Advanced Stop Signs eye (spf 15).

Jane - have you ever used Cellex C Vitamin C High Potency serum? If so' date=' do you think the Skinceutical is better? If so, why? Just curious, as the Cellex C isn't cheap, so I don't want to continue with it if there is something better out there![/quote']

Yes, I used to use the Cellex C serum, but when I interviewed a top cosmetic dermatologist last summer, he said that he felt that the Skinceuticals Vit C E Ferulic was better.

Since that time, I've asked others in the industry - both medical people and other editors - and it's agreed that the Skinceuticals is the best one.

One of the reasons is because of the addition of the vit E which is a powerful anti-oxident and anti-aging ingredient.

The Cellex is definitely high quality and I've never heard anything negative about it, but professionals like the addition of the vit E and think that it makes for a better product.

CellexC is $100. and Skinceuticals in $135.

Cellex C

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P7878&categoryId=B70

Skinceuticals

http://www.skinceuticals.com/_us/_en/catalog/prevent/C-E-Ferulic.htm

Certainly don't get rid of your Cellex C. However, when your bottle is finished, consider trying the Skinceuticals if you're willing to spend an extra $35.

Just an aside, but thought it might help. My son has very dark circles under his eyes. My sister in law looked at him and said, "He has allergies." I did question her opinion because she knows all about raising kids, even though she has none and is frequently telling me how I've messed up mine. I then asked my doctor about it, because I was worried about his dark circles said my sister in law could very well be right about the allergies. Studies have shown some linking of dark circles and some allergies.

It's also hereditary on some levels.

Just an aside, but thought it might help. My son has very dark circles under his eyes. My sister in law looked at him and said, "He has allergies." I did question her opinion because she knows all about raising kids, even though she has none and is frequently telling me how I've messed up mine. I then asked my doctor about it, because I was worried about his dark circles said my sister in law could very well be right about the allergies. Studies have shown some linking of dark circles and some allergies.

That's correct.

Under eye circles, especially on young kids can be caused by allergies and/or other sinus issue.

It also can be caused by the thinness of the skin.

Truth is, dark circles are one of the most difficult cosmetic problems to address. The best thing is to use a concealer. Which of course, is not appropriate for children nor an option for most men. :D

Your sister is right, you gotta give her this one :) I know when my daughter is being bothered by her allergies before she even complains about it b'c she gets a little shadowy looking under her eyes. She takes 10 mg of loratadine every day (generic Claritin) but once in a while her allergies still get ahead of her and she gets the shadowy eyes. Does your son take anything for his allergies?

Another thing that can give you dark circles under the eyes is iron deficiency.

I'll throw my .2 cents in here - my son has asthma, and the dark circles under his eyes during a flare up are unbelievable. So I guess this falls completely in line with the allergy issues you all speak of.

I get the same thing, but it can only be attributed to a very late night with too many martinis.....:eek: !

BTW, Blue Mercury will probably become my new favorite place for skin care and make-up. There are about 20 stores around the country, and a website. I had a fabulous facial yesterday in their NYC store that just opened 3 weeks ago.

They carry less brands than Sephora - maybe 100 - but the owner really edits it down to the best. And their sales people have more knowledge than Sephora's people. So if there's one in your area, check it out!

Jane - I will be in NYC from Apr 10-14. Where exactly is the Blue Mercury store? And one last question - do they carry Chanel cosmetics? I know they have Laura Mercier, which is one of my new favourites.

And thanks for this info. Very much appreciated to a pure product junkie like myself.

Jane - I will be in NYC from Apr 10-14. Where exactly is the Blue Mercury store? And one last question - do they carry Chanel cosmetics? I know they have Laura Mercier' date=' which is one of my new favourites.

And thanks for this info. Very much appreciated to a pure product junkie like myself.[/quote']

BlueMercury is located on the upper west side at 2305 Broadway, which is approximately 82nd Street. (i forget) Call them and ask - 212-799- 0500

www.bluemercury.com

They don't carry Chanel. For Chanel you can go to dept stores like Sak's, Bloomingdales or Bergdorf's, or you can go to one of the Chanel stores.

Have a FAB time here in NY! If you have any other NYC questions, let me know.

Archived