Dolphin 401 through 415 on Golden

2Oregonians

We're in a mini on Dolphin deck on the Golden which is directly above a gap between the forward 5 and the rear 7 lifeboats. We happen to be on the starboard side, but my question would be the same for port side as well. And my question is, will we hear lots of commotion when we're at a port which requires tenders? Anyone been in any of the above-mentioned minis on Golden or one that is similar to the Golden? Thanks!!

Just returned from Hawaii on the Diamond last month and were in D609. Our mini was directly above a tender/lifeboat station, and we most definitely did have loud noise and banging whenever they lowered or raised the boats. However, we did save quite a bit of money and believe we would do it again if the price was right. What we didn't care for was the fact that our large, wonderful balcony was uncovered. Never experienced that before and would have to think long and hard to do that again. Word to the wise - make sure the cabin you pick is covered.

Just returned from Hawaii on the Diamond last month and were in D609. Our mini was directly above a tender/lifeboat station, and we most definitely did have loud noise and banging whenever they lowered or raised the boats. However, we did save quite a bit of money and believe we would do it again if the price was right. What we didn't care for was the fact that our large, wonderful balcony was uncovered. Never experienced that before and would have to think long and hard to do that again. Word to the wise - make sure the cabin you pick is covered.

Uh oh. Being on Dolphin, ours is uncovered as well. We thought it was a good idea at the time because we wouldn't be looking onto someone's balcony below us... just the beautiful water. Tell me specifically what you did not like about it being uncovered. Our cruise is to Alaska, so the heat won't be a factor.

You're on the Golden to Alaska, right? No tendering in those ports...so you should be fine.

Hmmm...my confirmation say's tender needed in Ketchikan. In any case, Alaska will be our 3rd Mini on a Dolphin deck. Tenders were never an issue BUT we are early risers. If you sleep til 10 they will wake you up. We love Dolphin mini's - nothing below you but a great view.

I was in a mini on the Golden last September. I did not like the fact that the people in the three decks above me could look into my balcony. For my next cruise, I booked a mini on the Emerald deck. The are only 12 mini suites on that deck but they are all covered balconies. In fact, I booked E729 which has wrap around balcony. You might want to check it out.

I was in a mini on the Golden last September. I did not like the fact that the people in the three decks above me could look into my balcony. For my next cruise, I booked a mini on the Emerald deck. The are only 12 mini suites on that deck but they are all covered balconies. In fact, I booked E729 which has wrap around balcony. You might want to check it out.

We also chose the Emerald deck. I was told a couple of stories that kind of scared me. (bottles and lit cigs) falling onto your deck :eek:

Also I did not like the idea of everyone staring down on me.

• 2 weeks later...
We also chose the Emerald deck. I was told a couple of stories that kind of scared me. (bottles and lit cigs) falling onto your deck :eek:

Also I did not like the idea of everyone staring down on me.

Yikes... does that happen very often??? :eek:

We had D424 on the Golden, and yes, you can certainly hear the tenders. That didn't really bother us because we were up early anyway. What did, though, was when they systematically put each lifeboat, including the one under our room, out and then in again at 7am when we were docked in Mazatlan!

Having said that, we really like the Dolphin mini's. We had one on the Crown as well in the same location, and I'd gladly book one again, even with the tender noise.

last June in Ketchikan all the ships were able to dock no problem so we did not need to tender (even tho itinerary called for tender). Not sure if that will always be the case, but that was our experiance.

as to the other concern about the open balcony, we had a mini on dolphin and never had anything land on our deck or thrown down on us. It was open so people could see down on us, but we aren't that interesting, so I figure people have better things to look at then us :D

Have a great trip !

Yes, tendering in Ketchikan. And we will be in D414, so I guess we will find out.

The new docking schedules for Ketchikan were just posted over on the Alaska board... looks like Golden will be at Dock 1, not tendering after all! YEAH!

We were on the Dolphin in D418, just a few cabins down from David (Hi David!). Noise never bothered us. Nothing landed on our balcony. But it is very exposed. We've booked a mini on the Emerald deck for an Alaska out of Seattle in Sept. Not too worried about the heat but it does rain up there. If it's raining and we're cruising, I still want to be able to have a front row seat.

Steve

We were on the Dolphin in D418, just a few cabins down from David (Hi David!). Noise never bothered us. Nothing landed on our balcony. But it is very exposed. We've booked a mini on the Emerald deck for an Alaska out of Seattle in Sept. Not too worried about the heat but it does rain up there. If it's raining and we're cruising, I still want to be able to have a front row seat.

Steve

That's what those of us who live up here carry waterproof jackets for. I'll be out on that open balcony even if it IS raining (well, unless it is a monsoon, that is). :D

Are there statistics on how often it rains in July in different parts of Alaska? We'll be cruising July 19th through 26th. Think we have a good chance of it staying dry the whole time?? Maybe???

July is one of the driest months. There are charts with average temps and rainfall that you can look at on www.weather.com with the city name and/or zip code.

You are quite likely to have a mostly dry trip, far more so than we are in mid September.

We are early risers, however, on our cruise to Hawaii, the tenders did wake us up quite early. As for the uncovered balconies, we unfortunately happened to have a woman directly above us who obviously thought we were part of the entertainment for breakfast. She literally hung her upper body over the railing and stared down at us constantly. Believe me, we were not offering anything to gape at. I guess she was just nosy or found DH quite attractive.:p

July is one of the driest months. There are charts with average temps and rainfall that you can look at on www.weather.com with the city name and/or zip code.

You are quite likely to have a mostly dry trip, far more so than we are in mid September.

Great link for the weather, Karen. Thank you. Looks pretty good for July. However, Ketchikan looks the wettest. Anyone have experience with Ketchikan in July? Wet? Dry? Also, I'm just now realizing that those are average temps, so hopefully it will be warmer than the 64 or 65 that is posted. I'm hoping for 70!!!

Anyone have experience with Ketchikan in July? Wet? Dry?

We sailed roundtrip out of Seattle last year from July 8 to July 15. It rained all day in Ketchikan and in Tracy Arm/Juneau and in Skagway. We even had a brief shower in Victoria the night before returning to Seattle. Luckily, we were on the Sun Princess, so our balcony was covered. We passed the Golden Princess in Tracy Arm and many of her passengers were out on their balconies in rain gear.

From what I read on these boards, the cruises before and after ours had great weather, so you never know.

Jim

We sailed roundtrip out of Seattle last year from July 8 to July 15. It rained all day in Ketchikan and in Tracy Arm/Juneau and in Skagway. We even had a brief shower in Victoria the night before returning to Seattle. Luckily, we were on the Sun Princess, so our balcony was covered. We passed the Golden Princess in Tracy Arm and many of her passengers were out on their balconies in rain gear.

From what I read on these boards, the cruises before and after ours had great weather, so you never know.

Jim

Sorry you had bad weather on your trip, jayevee. My husband, my parents, and I were in Victoria last summer at the end of that same week you cruised, and it was cool and rainy just like you said. However, they people of Victoria kept saying it was unusual. I hope it was unusual, because we were so disappointed. We had one day where it was semi-warm and didn't rain for several hours, but most of it was way too cool and rainy. I won't say it "ruined" our trip, but we were disappointed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for THIS July!! :)

Sorry you had bad weather on your trip, jayevee. My husband, my parents, and I were in Victoria last summer at the end of that same week you cruised, and it was cool and rainy just like you said. However, they people of Victoria kept saying it was unusual. I hope it was unusual, because we were so disappointed. We had one day where it was semi-warm and didn't rain for several hours, but most of it was way too cool and rainy. I won't say it "ruined" our trip, but we were disappointed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for THIS July!! :)

We did the roundtrip out of Seattle during the same week of July in 2003 and it was sunny and in the 80s for much of the trip. Here's hoping you have the same this year.

Jim

Archived