Playa Mia beach break in Cozumel

eddann

My hubby and I did this when we went in Feb. We had been to Cozumel 6 other times but had never been here so we decided to book it onboard.....the deluxe was sold out but the only difference was we had to get a taxi on shore and get there ourselves. NOT impressed at all. Snorkaling there did not give Cozumel any justice, I would say this is the best place I every snorkled but not at this particular beach. The floating ice berg and trampolines were almost impossible to get on. Food and shopping was very nice and it was nice to have a fresh water pool to sit in for once and get out of the salt water a little. I would def. recommend the Twister boat and passion island, the people we sat with at dinner went there and LOVED it.....actually could not stop talking about it!!!

Anybody do this excursion? How was it? Did they have snorkeling? Is it worth the money? Any info would be great.

Paradise Beach is now offering a snorkeling trip. Just catch a cab there or look over on the Coz board. Should be a link there.

I would def. recommend the Twister boat and passion island, the people we sat with at dinner went there and LOVED it.....actually could not stop talking about it!!!

Sounds good. How do we book this; at the dock? Anyone have more info on this?

Just returned on the Conquest last week and did the deluxe Playa Mia beach thing in Cozumel. Caught a fairly nice bus for the 20 minute ride out there, guided to the bus by the Playa Mia folks. Our fee included bus ride, admission to Playa Mia for almost 4 hours, a buffet lunch and an open bar. There is a cash bar there as well, but our folks were directed to a specific one where anyone with our wristbands got free food and drinks. That made the price almost worth it. It was quite crowded, but it was Spring Break, so we expected it. Nice covered pavilion for eating and sitting. Lots of chairs poolside and on the beach. Umbrellas were available for rent. Someone told me theirs was $20, but when I went to the palapa to rent mine, they only charged a $5 deposit, which I got back when I returned the umbrella. Again, I think it was because of our wristbands.

Water was nice but not clear like some areas of the island. There are motorized water sports to use for a price. Snorkeling gear could be rented. There were shops for those wanting trinkets. There were very nice shower and changing areas. Most of the place is very accessible (my son is in a wheelchair) but not the beach down to the water. We managed and enjoyed a swim. The pool area is small but nice for a dip.

I think I would choose another spot next time........something nicer and less crowded.

We went on the Delux package last year and thought it was nice and worth the price. All non motorized sports were free... we enjoyed the kayaking. The pool was also nice since the beach has a few rocks at the bottom. The drinks and food were free and they had music blaring and games going on. It was a good experience especially if you just want to sit and soak the sun. The shopping was nice too, DH got a Fossil watch for $40!

We did this excursion in May of 2007. We thought the facilities were nice and yes the pool was a nice added touch! We thought the food could have been better and did not eat anything! However we would go there again for the scenery and open bar!

We went on the delux excurson last April and had a great time. It included a bus ride to and from....all you could eat buffet and an open bar. Don't snorkle but saw the Banana boat and the Iceburg and the water was absolutely beautiful!!! You could go shoulder deep and still see your feet!! So clear and warm!!! Have fun!!!

I'd recommend the "Caverns by Jeep and Beach Combo." Very good and was the highlight of the trip. You went to caverns and snorkeled in an underground lake and caverns - very cool! Then drove over to a private beach where we were lazy, ate at a free mexican buffet (including all the free drinks - beer included!), and then drove back to the ship.

And one insider tip, forget your driver's license! We accidentally did, and then drove in the jeep with a tour guide. We got our own personal narration, instead of having to worry about driving and following the leader!

I saw playa mia when we went and drove right by, we went to Mr. Sanchos, Bar and Grill which has a great place to eat and drink all while on the beach with beach chairs and tables with umbrellas ... even a pool for those that dont like the sea water... the place even had a few stores for souvenier shopping.. i bought a great wrap there.

Snorkeling was Ausome, water was clear and the fish swam right around our feet. Most beautiful fish i ever saw. While we were in the pool which over looks the beach we saw a pool of fish swim right up to the waves and almost sorta jump out of the water... coolest thing ever... and a little down the shore they were catching lobster!

Sounds good. How do we book this; at the dock? Anyone have more info on this?

If you go to the carnival website and look under shore excursions at the bottom of the list is Twister, you can book it there!!

We went on our own via taxi. We paid the fee that included lunch and unlimited drinks and really enjoyed ourselves (a little too much...). You can pay extra for a snorkelling trip with 2 guides, which takes you along the coast to some amazing reefs (one was over 100 ft deep). You can also pay extra for a fun bannana boat ride. Our day wasn't exactly cheap, but was worth every penny spent! (Check out their website and you will see prices. I have no doubt it's cheaper to go via taxi and purchase at the gate than to go on the ship's excursion...)

I saw playa mia when we went and drove right by, we went to Mr. Sanchos, Bar and Grill which has a great place to eat and drink all while on the beach with beach chairs and tables with umbrellas ... even a pool for those that dont like the sea water... the place even had a few stores for souvenier shopping.. i bought a great wrap there.

Snorkeling was Ausome, water was clear and the fish swam right around our feet. Most beautiful fish i ever saw. While we were in the pool which over looks the beach we saw a pool of fish swim right up to the waves and almost sorta jump out of the water... coolest thing ever... and a little down the shore they were catching lobster!

What was the cost to get in? Do you know what the prices of the waverunners were? Thank you for your help. From the website- it looks like a beautiful place!

the greatest part of the whole beach was that that there was no cover charge, just a $10 charge per day to use a water float or a lounge chair on the beach. The tables w/ umbrellas were free, if you were eating or buying food from the bar/ grill. If we go back to cozumel we will def. spend some more time there.

FYi we didnt use the jetskis but i remember thinking they were really affordable. we just wanted to relax on the beach and snorkle.

the greatest part of the whole beach was that that there was no cover charge, just a $10 charge per day to use a water float or a lounge chair on the beach. The tables w/ umbrellas were free, if you were eating or buying food from the bar/ grill. If we go back to cozumel we will def. spend some more time there.

FYi we didnt use the jetskis but i remember thinking they were really affordable. we just wanted to relax on the beach and snorkle.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

I was there the week of March 16th, off the Ecstacy. The facilities were quite nice for Mexico but I thought the place was way too crowded. That's a risk you run for cruising at Spring Break so I can't blame it on Playa Mia.

I didn't book through Carnival choosing to do it on my own. $15 each way for cab ride, $15 for the lowest price admission which did not include drinks or food. Local beers were $3.00 a piece. After 2 beers the whole thing cost me $51. All in all it was a pricey 4 hours of crowded beach time. I doubt I'd do it again. I think there are better ways to do beach time in Coz.

My hubby and I did this when we went in Feb. We had been to Cozumel 6 other times but had never been here so we decided to book it onboard.....the deluxe was sold out but the only difference was we had to get a taxi on shore and get there ourselves. NOT impressed at all. Snorkaling there did not give Cozumel any justice, I would say this is the best place I every snorkled but not at this particular beach. The floating ice berg and trampolines were almost impossible to get on. Food and shopping was very nice and it was nice to have a fresh water pool to sit in for once and get out of the salt water a little. I would def. recommend the Twister boat and passion island, the people we sat with at dinner went there and LOVED it.....actually could not stop talking about it!!!

If you go to the carnival website and look under shore excursions at the bottom of the list is Twister, you can book it there!!

:) We did the Passion Island tour through www.***** after carnival canceled our tour that we booked through the ship! Carnival did me a favor b/c it was cheaper booking it myself! We did the Beach Adventure and loved it!

Thank you Carnival!

I have done this excursion twice, and love it both times. Each time I do the cheap one for like $29.00. That gets you in the resort and all the liquor you can drink. The cab ride was $4.00 per person each way.

The beach is nice, the people are very polite. I quite enjoyed it each time. We did order a big plate of nacho's, delivered right to us at or spot on the beach, and they were only $5.00. I would go back to this place in a heart beat ! I did not snorkel there, but from what I could see from just swimming there, the snorkeling would be nice.

If I take the basic package at Playa Mia the web site states it includes a free guided snorkelling tour.

Can I do the tour for free with my own snorkelling equipment or do I have to rent from Playa Mia ($12 I think). Also if I use my own equipment but want to rent a vest for my son, do I have to pay the entire $12 or just a few dollars to rent the vest?

Thank you

Archived