Black man in a kilt?

Repsol Rod

Repsol...

As a fellow fashion forward guy on the boards here, I say yes absolutely...

And considering that I am actually an American kilt wearer (of Irish descent) I've got lot's of specific info for you.

Give me a few minutes to get my stuff together, and I'll give you a couple of perfectly appropriate tartan's for you, and the best place in America to order.

It's a fantastic thing for a cruise, and unless it's a short cruise, I usually wear my full formal kilt for the second formal night.

(As well as any other occasion I'm in the mood)

I get nothing but complete respect and admiration from all the ladies onboard (regardless of the cruiseline).

Also, considering that there are several children of various ethnic mixes growing up in my family right now; they are all learning to wear their family tartan with pride and they are all different shades of brown!:D

Okay, so here is the standard American tartan...

It is appropriate for any American national...

3dc0c0f605cb463d86690644ae2c7adf.jpg

And here is the one specific for The United States...

It is appropriate for any U.S. national...

e786be6ecc6c3c19e477c6fcb1594307.jpg

It is totally appropriate and respectful, and I highly recommend going for the full formal (which you can always dress down)...

It is so well made, it will last forever...

Be a bit prepared - you may get a few stares, questions, and a few forward women who want to investigate what is under your kilt... (A friend told me a story about wearing his to a Halloween party...I was shocked :eek: !)

A friend of mine wore his kilt to an event and had a forward woman investigate under his kilt. He, of course was "traditional" and was regimental. Needless to say, SHE was quite embarrassed.

No, I'm not taking your comments as disrespectful. I'm in North America, so kilts are not part of day to day life here, though. I guess what I really meant was if the "ceremony" warrants it, then a kilt is fine. But it is terribly hard to pull off wearing a kilt and look as though one is supposed to BE wearing a kilt. One only need look at the linked pics to see that :) And "kilt = bagpipes" really was an overstatement on my part. IMHO, I probably should have said kilt = ceremony, and when ceremony is absent, then the kilt looks out of place. JMHO/YMMV

I come at it from a very different perspective. I've been in a medieval re-creation group for over 15 years (SCA), and I think it's perfectly wonderful to see men in kilts. Outside of those events, I've lately seen quite a few in club situations, and personally, I find them to be a mark of intelligence and taste. Just my own two cents' worth. :D

the answer to that question is .... go ask my wife.... yes the one over there with the big smile on her face... :D

Also being a woman who adores "Men in Kilts", I'm sure your wife and I would get along famously. :D

A friend of mine wore his kilt to an event and had a forward woman investigate under his kilt. He, of course was "traditional" and was regimental. Needless to say, SHE was quite embarrassed.

If I may, this particular process is called a "kilt check", and there is a decorous way in which to conduct one......this is assuming one wishes to be decorous, of course. :D

A utilikilt might be a great option for you, Rep... then you could have the kilt style and impact without stepping on any cultural-tradition toes. :)

Hey, if it looks good on ya, wear it!

I would agree, but I think utilikilts tend to be more for clubs, etc. I think if he's thinking of wearing it for the formal dining room, a traditional kilt would be better. Just my opinion.

If you can stand for any more "food for thought" - I know the St. Andrew's Society in the state of Rhode Island was able to get the state to adopt a "Rhode Island Tartan". You may want to investigate and see if your state had adopted one.

OK folks - here's my disclaimer right up front. I am posing the following in all honesty and sincerity and don't wish to incite any kind of ethnic, gender, or racial animosity. Please don't flame me or each other should you choose to respond.

Now then, to our fellow cruising Scotts, and others who may be so inclined to contribute:

I have always been fascinated with the kilt and admired men who have the courage to wear one outside it's native setting. So much so that I've recently contemplated donning a full formal kilt myself. I am a Black man and couldn't be further removed from Scottish heritage so I'm wondering if it might be looked upon as mocking if I were to wear one.

A kilt is edgy in and of itself - a Black man in a kilt; doubly so.

I like to push the fashion envelope but not so as to cause discord in the process.

Have any of you seen a Black man in a kilt? And against my better judgement I'm going to ask this do you think this is something I might be able to pull off - with class even?

Repsol

were the uniform of my high school in the 60's..and still are..there are black band members in band now..and...you guessed it..they wear kilts also..I'm so proud when I see my alma matre band in Scittish kilts

Thanks again, everyone, for you encouragement, for setting me straight on some things, and for the courtesy shown toward one another through this thread. You all are a class act!

The wifey agreed to a test fitting to determine if this is a look I can pull off. I'll let you all know.

Repsol

I get the feeling from your posts that you will be able to pull this off with no problem, a class act yourself. Keep us posted on which tartan you go with, and can't wait to see the pictures.

I would agree, but I think utilikilts tend to be more for clubs, etc. I think if he's thinking of wearing it for the formal dining room, a traditional kilt would be better. Just my opinion.

They do have a tuxedo version... but I dunno about those...a traditional Scottish kilt is always elegant. :)

Repsol, to answer your original question, I don't think I've ever seen anyone, in person, black, white, or otherwise, in a kilt (note to self - go to the Highland Festival this year). I appreciate your wanting to be as authentic as possible, shows a lot about your character. I will add that, even with the Scottish blood flowing through me (think we migrated in the 1700's), I would have NO clue as to what is right or wrong with your outfit.

You've made some great contacts here with those that can help you keep it real.

Go far it, enjoy it and embrace it.

And let us know how it goes. :)

And my personal recommendation for great quality, price ranges, and customer service in the US...

http://www.lindaclifford.com/Gents.html

c39cc981a9e645f07b05dbcd8cd78382.jpg

Hmmmm CJW...Me likey!!!!:D :D ;)

Repsol...Go for it, and I, too, admire your respect for authenticity.

Just don't be too surprised if you get a few 'twinkle in the eyes' from the ladies!

Would love to see DH in a kilt...I love a game of peek-a-boo!:D

...You've made some great contacts here with those that can help you keep it real...

Thanks all! Your responses have come so quickly, I haven't been able to reply to all that I have wanted to - but I've taken note of who you are. I'll certainly be in contact to get the particulars. :) :)

Repsol

has to pay excess baggage allowance because of the weight of his kilt and accessories.

I'm not going to even go there ... laughing too much (yes, mind has combined this comment with houndmom's picture above ... LOL:D )

Ok seriously now ... Repsol - I'm sure you'll look great - I admire any man who can wear a kilt with style. CJW has given some good suggestions re tartan to be worn and definitely use the contacts made here. Best of luck.

Well, I've got news for you..did you know that a very large portion of men in the UK are Black, including Scotland? The biggest percentage of black men are in Ireland. So if you want to, do it.

OK folks - here's my disclaimer right up front. I am posing the following in all honesty and sincerity and don't wish to incite any kind of ethnic, gender, or racial animosity. Please don't flame me or each other should you choose to respond.

Now then, to our fellow cruising Scotts, and others who may be so inclined to contribute:

I have always been fascinated with the kilt and admired men who have the courage to wear one outside it's native setting. So much so that I've recently contemplated donning a full formal kilt myself. I am a Black man and couldn't be further removed from Scottish heritage so I'm wondering if it might be looked upon as mocking if I were to wear one.

A kilt is edgy in and of itself - a Black man in a kilt; doubly so.

I like to push the fashion envelope but not so as to cause discord in the process.

Have any of you seen a Black man in a kilt? And against my better judgement I'm going to ask this do you think this is something I might be able to pull off - with class even?

Repsol

One of my Scottish cruising friends, who enjoys wearing his kilts on formal nights, usually has to pay excess baggage allowance because of the weight of his kilt and accessories.

My local shop where I buy my kilts and accessories from, are able to provide lightweight and medium weight kilts which are ideal for travel.

I purchased the medium weight version and not only is it good for avoiding excess baggage charges, but it's also far more comfortable for wearing in warmer climates.