Black man in a kilt?

Repsol Rod

I'm of Scottish descent. IMHO, a kilt is a really tough look to pull off successfully. I'm sure my late, great, grandfather and grand-uncles would have been horrified if anyone other than a Scot wore a kilt.

It is a tough thing to wear properly, and I can definitely understand being bothered by someone making a mockery of an important cultural item.

Still, times do change, and I've seen more people wearing kilts lately. My grandmother would be horrified if she knew I wore white shoes after Labor day and was not wearing hat and gloves to church. All I can do is dress in a way I feel is timely and tasteful, and hope she's getting some nice exercise rolling in her grave every Sunday. :rolleyes:

How would you feel seeing someone who is obviously not of your ethnic background wearing clothing that was specific to your ethnic background?

Me, personally? Assuming they know how the garment is to be worn and wear it with respect, I would feel flattered that they liked it enough to wear it properly. :)

There are Black men and women who are native to Scotland and England. It doesn't make them any less so because they are Black. It doesn't make you any less American because you are Black.

Skin color has nothing to do with it.

I think you could have asked if it was ok to wear a kilt without being Scottish and left skin color out of it. Nobody would say you cant because you are Black. At least I hope not.

Not wanting to be disrespectful but Ouch .... thats a bit of misconception for a start... despite your Scots background.

Can you imagine a Scottish wedding with 100 Gents wearing kilt and all playing the bagpipes at once.

Bagpipes don't equal wear kilt

and wearing kilt does not mean must have bagpipes

No, I'm not taking your comments as disrespectful. I'm in North America, so kilts are not part of day to day life here, though. I guess what I really meant was if the "ceremony" warrants it, then a kilt is fine. But it is terribly hard to pull off wearing a kilt and look as though one is supposed to BE wearing a kilt. One only need look at the linked pics to see that :) And "kilt = bagpipes" really was an overstatement on my part. IMHO, I probably should have said kilt = ceremony, and when ceremony is absent, then the kilt looks out of place. JMHO/YMMV

Quote:

How would you feel seeing someone who is obviously not of your ethnic background wearing clothing that was specific to your ethnic background? .

Me, personally? Assuming they know how the garment is to be worn and wear it with respect, I would feel flattered that they liked it enough to wear it properly.

And if that's what the OP thinks, then he should go for it.

(If I've PO'd anyone, I apologize, I just really don't care for kilts except under very specific circumstances )

How would you feel seeing someone who is obviously not of your ethnic background wearing clothing that was specific to your ethnic background?

Cowprincess, no offense to you but how can you tell what ethnicity someone is just by looking at them?

Colin Powel would actually be considered Latino because his roots are Jamaican.

Charlize Theron is an African American.

I would chalk it up to someone celebrating your roots and your ethnicity.

I'd laugh my butt off. But then, I'm such a mutt that I'm visualizing somebody in a kilt wearing headfeathers and a dashiki.

HAHAHA! You have a point there! Oh, dear... I just had a picture of myself wearing this shirt, an Irish tweed cap, and leiderhosen:

927187.jpg

:p

No, I'm not taking your comments as disrespectful. I'm in North America, so kilts are not part of day to day life here, though. I guess what I really meant was if the "ceremony" warrants it, then a kilt is fine. But it is terribly hard to pull off wearing a kilt and look as though one is supposed to BE wearing a kilt. One only need look at the linked pics to see that :) And "kilt = bagpipes" really was an overstatement on my part. IMHO, I probably should have said kilt = ceremony, and when ceremony is absent, then the kilt looks out of place. JMHO/YMMV

thanks for being so understanding :)

being in Scotland we get to wear our kilts on numerous occassions through out the year both formal and informal'

Weddings, Dinner / Dances, Sporting Events (Internationals / Finals), awards ceremonies, highland games, Burn's Night and more... it's all down to wearing the correct accessories for the occasion.

The kilt is just a garment - it is what you wear with it that makes it formal or informal.

Not to go OT here, but Charlize Theron is an Afrikaner not African American. Afrikaners are descendents of Dutch Calvinists, German and French Huguenots who settled in South Africa. Her mother is German and her father was French.

Colin Powel would actually be considered Latino because his roots are Jamaican.

Jamaicans are not Latinos, as their roots are not Spanish.

Charlize is South African, though a naturalized US citizen. IMO that doesn't equal AA, but what do I know :) .

As to the wearing of the kilt, just to be on topic ... how 'bout this for casual nights?

original_thumb.jpg

They even have a formal version!

tuxedo_thumb.jpg

:D ;) :p

Jamaicans are not Latinos, as their roots are not Spanish.

Charlize is South African, though a naturalized US citizen. IMO that doesn't equal AA, but what do I know :) .

As to the wearing of the kilt, just to be on topic ... how 'bout this for casual nights?

original_thumb.jpg

tuxedo_thumb.jpg

Jamaica is considered a Latin American Country. Also, Latin American countries are not characterized just by being Spanish speaking but Portugese.

http://countrystudies.us/caribbean-islands/37.htm

Charlize Theron has joked about being African American

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/00dmono.phtml

original_thumb.jpg

tuxedo_thumb.jpg

I went to the website to check out the Utilikilts... and the copy is HILARIOUS! Never mind that their leather kilt is sexy as heck. :rolleyes:

By all means go for it and wear the kilt,however do be expected to answer all the questions that go with it, and ensure the proper undergaremnts are worn as well;) worn properly its a very smart item, nor worn correctly you will look pretty stupid:eek:

And if people do ask the obvious question "Whats worn underneath the kilt" l just flash a smile and reply "Nothings worn my dear its all in perfect working order;) "

And when you do, post a pic here so we can see how stunning you look !!!

Cheers

Myles

2003693778_THEQUEEN.jpg.65bdadf48459634d17c1103a8e383145.jpg

I love kilts on men. I have an aquaintance here in NY that always wears them, and he's no Scotsman.

Utilikilts is an interesting company. I used to deal with them for a business venture. They have them in all kinds of traditional and nontraditional fabrics.

I think it's all in the accessories. As long as you "make it work", you should wear it and enjoy! However, be prepared for comments as to your Scottish heritage if you wear it with Scottish accessories. If you wear an american style blazer, shirt and tie, you'll probably get less questions.

As for someone asking what you've got on underneath.... well, what can I say? Some people have never gotten beyond the cliche's they heard in kindergarten and don't have much else to say. Ignore them.

Someone brought up sari's and cheong sams, which is an interesting reference. Cheong Sam's have become a part of main stream dressing for caucasian women. However, I never see non-indian white women wearing sari's - unless they have ties to indian culture. I love sari's but would feel odd, with my lily white skin and red hair, wearing one, but wouldn't feel odd in a cheong sam. But that's just me, I'd love for sari's to catch on for mainstream dressing. I think they're gorgeous and they always fit! :)

Jamaica is considered a Latin American Country. Also, Latin American countries are not characterized just by being Spanish speaking but Portugese.

Gee I don't think outside an economic agreement that Jamaicans consider themselves Latin Americans??? more British than Spanish influence since the 1400's.

"In most common contemporary usage, Latin America refers only to those territories in the Americas where the Spanish or Portuguese languages prevail: Mexico, most of Central and South America, plus Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico in the Caribbean." as per Wiki

I think it's all in the accessories. As long as you "make it work", you should wear it and enjoy! However, be prepared for comments as to your Scottish heritage if you wear it with Scottish accessories. If you wear an american style blazer, shirt and tie, you'll probably get less questions.

You might get less questions if you wear it with a blazer and a tie, but you'll probably get more strange looks. Personally, I say if you're going kilt, go all the way with the whole shebang. All the accessories and proper dress, no Americanized version.

I agree, Jane, the only time you see a sari around here, it's on a lady of Indian descent. I've seen sarongs, though, made with sari-like fabric and embellishments.

Cheongsams have been around in popular US culture off and on since the 1950s (40s maybe?), and I think they're beautiful! So many lovely fabrics! Now they are making them in styles other than the traditional, with halter necklines, different hemlines, etc. but keeping the traditional Chinese feel.

Kimono shape dresses are in all the stores right now (except for two of them, which I removed from the store by way of my debit card ;) ), also in lovely prints and fabrics. You can get the feel of kimono without wearing a traditional Japanese kimono with obi and the whole 9 yards (pun intended ;p ).

A utilikilt might be a great option for you, Rep... then you could have the kilt style and impact without stepping on any cultural-tradition toes. :)

Hey, if it looks good on ya, wear it!

True, I should have said Spanish & Portugese. Jamaica is geographically in the "Latin America and Caribbean" region, but that doesn't make it a Latin American country. Neither are the USVI, the Caymans, Netherland Antilles...

I stand corrected then ;) . People can categorize themselves as they see fit, I suppose. Even if I don't agree :D . I'm a US citizen, and glad to be one, but I don't consider myself American. Not the same thing IMO. But that's a whole other kettle of fish and not really a topic for this board :)

Gee I don't think outside an economic agreement that Jamaicans consider themselves Latin Americans??? more British than Spanish influence since the 1400's.

"In most common contemporary usage, Latin America refers only to those territories in the Americas where the Spanish or Portuguese languages prevail: Mexico, most of Central and South America, plus Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico in the Caribbean." as per Wiki

I concurr :)

... However, I never see non-indian white women wearing sari's - unless they have ties to indian culture. I love sari's but would feel odd, with my lily white skin and red hair, wearing one,...

I wore a sari once, a couple of decades ago for the opening of Aditi: The Festival of India, a celebration of Indian cultures at the Smithsonian (I worked there in the 80's). I had an Indian friend who lent me one of her saris, took me to an Indian shop to get the right underskirt and helped me dress. It was fun to do it for that one event, but of course I felt like I was in costume. My boss at the time, a strawberry blond Irish woman, also wore a sari that she had bought in India. I'm sure we made quite the odd pair :p (I have pale skin, dark hair and eyes) but it was a wonderful experience! Ahh, memories (snif!)

Amapola

She was joking, I really don't think she considers herself African American.

In that case... never mind (I haven't watched much SNL since the days of Emily Litella, so I guess the quote is appropriate :D ;) ). Didn't click on the link that was provided, so I was responding to the info here, not what she actually said. In any case, I just realized that I've never seen a single movie she's been in. Which is neither here nor there :p . Better go to bed soon.

First off - go ahead and wear a kilt!

Be a bit prepared - you may get a few stares, questions, and a few forward women who want to investigate what is under your kilt... (A friend told me a story about wearing his to a Halloween party...I was shocked :eek: !)

You may want to buy an inexpensive black utility kilt and wear it on a casual night (after some practicing at home sitting down in a variety of types of chairs - I've seen one guy get too close to the back of a folding chair when sitting and have his kilt caught over the top edge:o ). If you don't like wearing it, then you haven't invested a fair amount of money in something you aren't comfortable wearing!

Do not feel you have to learn to play the bagpipes in order to wear a kilt! Plenty of Scottish heritage groups thoughout the world have events - Highland games, casual and formal dances and other celebrations which you will find men wearing kilts - and some even wear them to walk their dogs! (Well, OK, this guy was scheduled to be at an event but need to walk the dog first ;) !).

Thanks again, everyone, for you encouragement, for setting me straight on some things, and for the courtesy shown toward one another through this thread. You all are a class act!

The wifey agreed to a test fitting to determine if this is a look I can pull off. I'll let you all know.

Repsol