Black man in a kilt?

Repsol Rod

I say yes, wear the kilt! I am not Scottish, but I don't think a Scottish person would mind. There is no ill-will on your part, so I think it should be perfectly fine for you to do so.

I agree. I AM of Scottish descent and I don't mind at all if some one else wears a kilt.

I've worn my kilt on a couple of cruises and it does attract quite a bit of attention.

brucekilt.jpg

That is the Robertson tartan. Bruce-r where the r stands for Robertson.

Nice Bruce! Hey, did you wear a real sgian dubh?
Yep.

If so, how did security handle that.
I packed it my checked luggage and was never questioned about it.

Also, I notice you're not wearing ghillies. Did you find that more comfortable than having to worry about slipping laces?
Actually, I just wore the regular black shoes I already owned.

OK folks - here's my disclaimer right up front. I am posing the following in all honesty and sincerity and don't wish to incite any kind of ethnic, gender, or racial animosity. Please don't flame me or each other should you choose to respond.

Now then, to our fellow cruising Scotts, and others who may be so inclined to contribute:

I have always been fascinated with the kilt and admired men who have the courage to wear one outside it's native setting. So much so that I've recently contemplated donning a full formal kilt myself. I am a Black man and couldn't be further removed from Scottish heritage so I'm wondering if it might be looked upon as mocking if I were to wear one.

A kilt is edgy in and of itself - a Black man in a kilt; doubly so.

I like to push the fashion envelope but not so as to cause discord in the process.

Have any of you seen a Black man in a kilt? And against my better judgement I'm going to ask this do you think this is something I might be able to pull off - with class even?

Repsol

GO FOR IT

Its very sexy on a man;)

OK , Repsolrod, I have to say that I am so partial to kilts because I went to Dunedin High School in Dunedin FL, where this is what the band wears!!!

http://www.dhsshb.com/images/march.jpg

http://www.dhsshb.com/images/march.jpg

I loved attending school there.

As far as wearing clothes outside you ethnicity I think it is great as long as you pay attention to detail. I mentioned in my other thread that I do Flamenco and Mexican Folklorico dancing. I am always so self conscious about getting the hair pieces right for the different regions of Mexico. I want to make sure I have the buns and braids and flowers and bows in just the right place. I don't want to be the dumb blond that got her hair all wrong. The costumes are usually provided for us or made for us so I don't have to worry about those so much , but we usually buy the fake hair at the beauty supply and make our own hair peices.

I love Curt's kilts that he posted. I think that they are great. I sort of think that a formal kilt is even more formal than a tux because of the history and tradition it represents.

Thanks for the reply Suzanne. I agree wholeheartedly with your posture on attention to detail. The last thing I want to do is offend someone by wearing something "incorrectly". I don't sail for 4 more months so I plan to take that entire span to thoroughly research this. I want to be so trained up on highland dress that I can do it in my sleep. And, if at the end of these 4 months, I have any reservations at all about presentation, I'll just scrub the whole endeavor! This will be all or nothing.

Oh, kudos to you on the Flamenco and Folklorico. Not easy dancing at all!

Repsol

Kilts make people smile.

I have enjoyed this post and thought the following sites might be of interest to some of you.

Have fun looking to see if you too could be entitled to wear a specific tartan....there are some surprising ones to be found and in addition to family/clan tartans, organisations, associations and institutions around the world have registered "their" tartans.

http://www.tartans.scotland.net/

http://houseoftartan.co.uk/house/tfinder.htm

As for actually buying a full outfit, it is a serious capital outlay and some thought and research are definitely advised before ordering one. A kilt is intended to last a lifetime and is priced accordingly, and many owners will "pass them on" or "hand them down". The standard quality is an 8 yard one, meaning it is made using 8 yards of fabric. My understanding is that this is because so many pleats are needed, it will hang correctly once all the pleats are sewn in, is not uncomfortably heavy to wear and which should not be too "flyaway" in higher wind.08 You can buy "dummy" sgian dbhus....no blade but the casing (all that is seen over the top of the sock) looks real. A full outfit weighs an awful lot and takes up loads of space in a suitcase. This puts many people off transporting them on cruises. A lighterweight option might be the Bonnie Prince Charlie jacket and waistcoat, the same white winged collar shirt and bow tie, but worn with tartan trews and patent leather evening shoes instead of the kilt, sporran, ghillies, heavy socks etc. If your legs are less than perfect this could be a good cover up.08

But that is only one small part of "an outfit" and for a formal/dress occasion it has to be a Bonnie Prince Charlie jacket and waistcoat, a wing collar shirt, a DRESS/EVENING sporran, ghillie brogues, cream socks, sgian dubh, bow tie, etc. The accessories are fairly complex and this is where the overall cost can rise and rise as much depends on your individual choice of metal/silver/stone/ fur etc. Its much too big a subject to go into here, all will become clear once you read up on it all.

To get you all started:

http://www.nicolsonhighlandwear.co.uk/list/prince_charlie_outfits.html

http://www.geoffreykilts.co.uk/index.htm

I think the second of these has become known as the "dresser to the stars" with several famous persons being supplied by them. They have some photos in the shop.

And last but not least, men wearing kilts often find they have miraculously turned into "babe magnets".....enjoy!

Hi Repsol,

Having recently watched (and been fascinated by) Henry Gates' PBS series "African American Lives," I say there's a chance you just might have a trace of Scottish blood. What do you think?

Wear the kilt proudly, and have a GREAT time on your cruise! :-)

Mary Ellen

Didn't see the series but CJW helped me with a search on tartans. I searched on maiden names on my mother's side - three generations back - and got hits on all three. Names can be common so I'm going to delve a little deeper into the one dating the furthest back. This is becoming quite fascinating!

Rep

OMG! ANY man in a kilt, no matter what his ethnicity, is HOT!

Yeah, I'll second that as well. I don't think I've got a drop of Scot's blood in me but I'm definitely a Scotophile (is that a word? Is now.) and I dig kilts. I spent about 10 years as a Rev War re-enactor so I've seen my share of men in skirts and it never fails to make me turn around take a second look. Or a third. :p A lot of the guys I reenacted with, none of which are Scots, wore them on special occasions and it was always very different and enjoyable.

I also agree with whoever said the Jacobean shirt would look especially good. It would be a very nice contrast and something a little different to shake things up.

Please post pictures if you decide to do this! I'd love to see how all of this works out.

Hi Repsol Rod, thought you might like the opinion of a Scotswoman on this!

I have no problem with any man wearing a kilt but here are my likes and dislikes.

Having looked at the pics on http://www.kiltmen.com - links on the first page of this thread, I would stress that those garments David Beckham and Ashton Kutcher are wearing are definately not kilts. If you want to see Scottish Highland dress worn properly and stylishly see David Coulthard and the Australian Mel Gibson. My personal dislike is rolled down socks - like wearing a tux with flipflops. I'm not really keen on Jacobean shirts, I would go for the formal look- bow tie, dress shirt, dress jacket and ghillie brogues. I'm sure you'll look great, bear in mind that a kilt and all the trimmings will take up a lot of packing space, my husband won't be taking his on our cruise for that reason.

Please post your pictures if you decide to wear the kilt and have a great cruise!

Hi Repsol Rod, thought you might like the opinion of a Scotswoman on this!...

Indeed!

...My personal dislike is rolled down socks - like wearing a tux with flipflops....

I absolutely agree - with this and other faux pas of the sort. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but I think it looks a little sloppy when a guy just slaps on a kilt without giving thought to the image he's projecting.

I'll be wearing a full formal kilt and my presentation will be as precise and authentic as I am able to make it. I've had great help from many on this thread and have learned much through research of my own. This will be done right.

...Please post your pictures if you decide to wear the kilt and have a great cruise!

I don't sail until July but will post photos straight away there after.

Once again, thanks EVERYONE for your encouragement.

Repsol

Well thats my case now packed for our cruise which sets sail from Rio on Friday.

Five formals nights mean a bit of mixing n matching shirts, hoses, jackets, belts, waistcoat, ties with my kilt.

N.B. waistcoat should not be worn with belt

Night 1: Full formal - Kilt, Rampant Lion Kilt Pin, Cream Hose with flashes, Ghillie Brogues, Sgian Dubh (dummy one for cruising - real one stays at home), Sporran, white wing collar shirt, black bow tie, Black Prince Charlie Jacket and Waistcoat.

Night 2: Modern - as night one but with Black Hose with flashes, Black Shirt, Tie (in tartan to match my kilt), Belt, Jacket. (no waistcoat)

Night 3: Jocobean - as night one but swap with White lace up shirt, Dark Blue Gillet Jacket, and Belt.

Night 4: Full Formal - as night one but normal white shirt is worn with silk tartan crevate tie.

Night 5: Formal - as night one but with black hose, black shirt and tartan bow tie.

I will post some photos on my return.

Ashton Kutcher

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2006/06/05/ashton-kutcher-grows-mustache-wears-kilt/

Other celebs in kilts including Taye Diggs, Sting, and Keifer Sutherland.

http://www.kiltmen.com/photogallery4.htm

I'm not sure what Taye Diggs and Becks is wearing is considered a kilt?

They always say the test of a true scotsman is what is worn underneath!!

The answer to that is nothing its all in full working order!!:D

Ha! My driver in Scotland wore a kilt. We pulled up on the banks of Loch Lomond and the wind was really blowing. He step off the bus, the wind picked up that kilt and up it went. I got the answer to that question!

Yes and we are not talking Calvin Klein model here.:eek:

Uggh! The same guy must have been on Celebrity 2 weeks ago. The only thing he was in line at the pool grill. Talk about losing one's appetite.

Today is Wear a Kilt to Work Day – the entire male staff of KTLA, the local news station is wearing kilts today (it may just be in that newsroom, LOL).

I'd wear a kilt to work, except I can't wear one under my bunny suit. I work at Intel and have to go into the cleanroom.

That was a good read. It has been missed though that it was not just the Scottish who wore kilts. Irish wore kilts and also so did Cornishmen and I guess there were other groups also. IMO kilts look good on some men not so good on others in much the same way as some men always seem to look smart and others, regardless of how much they spend on clothes, look not so smart, to be diplomatic. If you feel confident, I say go for it.

hiya,

I received a link to this thread after I posted a thread asking if wearing the kilt was suitable for a formal night.

As a Scot, I don't think it matters one tiny bit where the wearer is from or what colour they are. Build is all important, tall slim men rarely look good in a kilt, I may be biased here but my hubby looks fab in his kilt, He is 6'2" and 16 stone ;)

Choosing a tartan is very hit and miss also, even for Scots as most of us will find we are connected with more than one Clan so have a few different ones to choose from. I could choose from McKinnon or Farquharson and my hubby can have Campbell or McNaughton ( he chooses to wear ancient McNaughton ) but that is exactly what it is a CHOICE.

At the moment there are hundreds of tartans, some are recognised some aren't. The Scottish Rugby team has its own tartan, as do Rangers and Celtic football clubs, there is also a very widely advertised company who sell a kilt which is blue with the saltire across the back.

It personal choice and everyone has an opinion.

I am pleased to learn that Dh will be ok to wear his kilt on the formal nights as he doesn't get the opportunity to wear it very often and he isn't too keen on wearing a regular dinner suit.

Repsol Rod, I hope you do decide to wear the kilt and enjoy it