Black man in a kilt?

Repsol Rod

I was just going to post the link for utilkilts but I see some one already mentioned them. I know a guy who wears one and it is HOT! I think kilts can be pretty hot anyway ;)

These days people pick up bits of fashion from all cultures and nations so I do not think it would really be an issue.

Heck we play around doing historical recreation stuff sometimes and I know many folks portray people of backgrounds much different than their own. No one gets up in arms about it. If everyone had to play as their real background it could get pretty boring in some areas. My DH and I portray Scottish characters (my DH has Scot in his background but I do not) and I tried to make my DH a kilt but it was just not as easy as it looked.

I guess I am pro kilt and as my bumper sticker says.....REAL MEN WEAR KILTS!

As a Scots girl - I would say go for it. You'll get plenty of compliments on it and find most people will stop and take the trouble to speak to you. But please do get the length of it right. Nothing worse than seeing a kilt too long. It should sit approx half way across your knee cap.

• 2 months later...
OK folks - here's my disclaimer right up front. I am posing the following in all honesty and sincerity and don't wish to incite any kind of ethnic, gender, or racial animosity. Please don't flame me or each other should you choose to respond.

Now then, to our fellow cruising Scotts, and others who may be so inclined to contribute:

I have always been fascinated with the kilt and admired men who have the courage to wear one outside it's native setting. So much so that I've recently contemplated donning a full formal kilt myself. I am a Black man and couldn't be further removed from Scottish heritage so I'm wondering if it might be looked upon as mocking if I were to wear one.

A kilt is edgy in and of itself - a Black man in a kilt; doubly so.

I like to push the fashion envelope but not so as to cause discord in the process.

Have any of you seen a Black man in a kilt? And against my better judgement I'm going to ask this do you think this is something I might be able to pull off - with class even?

Repsol

there are many Tartans which one can wear if one is not "Scottish"-

among them, but not limited to these are: Black watch, Buchanan,Mackenzie,Irish National,Dark Island, Dress Gordan,Spirit of Scotland, and multiple American Tartans. Also found this: African Tartan

The latest unexpected place I have discovered tartans being used is Africa. The warriors of the Masai people, called Moran, are frequently outfitted with bright red tartan. The color red, in that society, is associated with men who have come of age. While some Moran wear solid red clothing, many opt for brightly colored red tartans. I have seen many different tartan patterns photographed among the Masai, most of them in bright red and blue designs.

Tartan truly is an ancient art form, which can be found the world over. For an example of a modern-day non-Scottish application of tartan, just look at the flannel shirts hanging in the closet of nearly every man in western society. Despite this fact, only in Scotland has tartan taken on such a particular cultural significance. Named tartans were, up until modern times, the unique provenance of Scotland. And even many of the named tartans now being created for Ireland, Wales, the United States, Canada, Australia and beyond are created by Scots and those of Scottish heritage. I say go for it!!

Hi, I am from Arbroath on the North East coast of Scotland, I have read all through this posting and considered all the various views on this whole kilt thing. I have lived in many different countries in my life, at present I'm in the Middle East. My heartfelt feeling on someone who is NOT Scottish wearing a kilt is no. Nothing to do with race or colour.

As previous posters have stated many different nationalities have earned the right to wear the kilt by joining Scottish Regiments. The Scottish are a very proud nation and the kilt, amongst other traditions and customs, is a key factor in our identity. Having previously lived in the USA for three years, in VA, I realise a lot of Americans love to pick up on their European or British heritage, fine, but please don't try to appear as something your not. At the end of the day Americans are American, Brits are British and so forth.

For the guys that are truly Scottish (born in Scotland) and wear their kilts with pride, I wonder if they were on a ship full of other nationalities all dressed in kilts, giving the impression they were Scottish, wouldn't it make you just a little, tiny bit annoyed? Think on. The kilt is what distinguishes us, don't let it become a fashion statement.

The key issue here is not about being black but about wearing another country's traditional dress. Sorry to be a bit negative you sound like a really nice guy but I cannot agree with your idea. I do appreciate the analogy another poster made about wearing a Marines uniform or badges etc without ever having anything to do with the Marines. To me the same principle applies.

Maybe reconsider because the chances are there will be 'real scottish people' onboard who may not take to kindly to an American wearing their National Dress.

As for all the Jocks, can't help it I'm a traditionalist, maybe its an Arbroath thing ;)

There was a formal night designated upon departing from the port of Fiji on our Pacific cruise. My partner, having purchased a Sulu ashore, dressed in formal attire save for the waste down, he wearing his Sulu and sandals. This formal attire is most acceptable on the island and bringing the theme aboard was well received by associates as well as the captain himself. You need not be of the nationality to partake of their cultural dress.

Agree anyone can dress as they wish, wherever, within reason, but also consider the motivation for doing so. Putting on the 'garb' from somewhere you have just visited is part of the 'holiday' thing, lots of people do it, I don't think your partner would have decided to buy a Sulu to wear before you started your cruise. Is the thread starter visiting Edinburgh or any part of Scotland, I don't believe so, it's not like he's going to come across a kilt shop on his cruise. Please also bear in mind that anything 'traditional' for sale in ports, including clothing, will be excessively priced just for the reason there are cruise ship patrons to be had! Its a mercenary world.

While I understand your point, our ethnic backgrounds aren't always obvious. Just as there are whites with an African background, I'm sure there are blacks with a Scottish background. And how the heck are we supposed to know?

Given the way blacks were treated during the period of slavery, I am sure that there are a lot of blacks with Scottish background.

DON

Thistle, I appreciate your comments and have every respect for your position. My wife shares your concerns.

While my motivation was/is stepping outside the fashion norm, it is not my intent to offend anyone. In the three months since my original post, I've been continually researching Highland dress and have spoken to several individuals offline about Scottish heritage and what the kilt represents.

I conducted a search on my mother's maiden name, three generations back, and found Tartan matches for each one. Further investigaton revealed that my lineage does, in fact, contain Scottish blood. Sufice it to say, I'm no Scot, but I'm closer than I realized.

I don't own a formal kilt so I will have to rent. And the only Tartan presently available to me is the American National Tartan. I would prefer to wear a Tartan from my genealogy but unfortunately don't have the time or resources to make that happen for my upcoming sailing.

I've set the ball in motion and would very much like to follow through. I only hope that I am able to do the ensemble - and what it represents - justice by wearing it correctly and as proudly as a Scot himself.

As for pics, KL, there are 4 weeks yet before I sail.;)

Repsol

Being Scottish myself and having worn the kilt at my wedding and other occasions, I have been reading this thread with great interest. Thistle9 is correct in saying that the Scots are a very proud nation and I respect his views. However, in saying that I have no issues about you wearing the kilt.

I would respectfully suggest that you wear the Bonnie Prince Charlie Jacket and waistcoat and not the Jacobean shirt. It is SO! much smarter IMHO. Get the proper brogues as well.

As another reviewer put it, you'll get plenty of compliments on the night and if you do get any criticism(although I doubt it) just ignore it and do not feel you have to justify to anyone your lineage going back 3 or 4 generations.

I am a Black man and couldn't be further removed from Scottish heritage so I'm wondering if it might be looked upon as mocking if I were to wear one.

Have any of you seen a Black man in a kilt? And against my better judgement I'm going to ask this do you think this is something I might be able to pull off - with class even?

No, I have never seen a black man in a kilt. But I think it's a great idea.

Obviously from your posts, you are respectful.

The only time I've ever seen kilts worn outside of Scotland were either to Scottish heritage events or formal events such as weddings.

It's considered a very manly thing to were a kilt.

I would respectfully suggest that you wear the Bonnie Prince Charlie Jacket and waistcoat and not the Jacobean shirt. It is SO! much smarter IMHO. Get the proper brogues as well.

You're right that the Jacket is smarter, but IMO the Jacobean shirt is HOT!

Not as formal, but wow.:o:D

• 2 weeks later...

I attend Highland Games and Renaissance Faires so I've seen men of many shapes, sizes, and colors in kilts. Lets just say that looking good in one has everything to do with body type and nothing to do with skin color. LOL

I have noticed many wearers who don't know many of actual the do's and dont's

simple things like...

How to tie the long laces on your Ghillie Brogues?

Should I wear a belt?

Which hose should I put my Sgian Dubh in?

and let's not forget the most important thing: commando or not? ;)

I don't think it should offend anyone if you wear a kilt...as long as it is not done with the intent of mocking or making fun, I think all is OK

• 1 month later...
Well, I've got news for you..did you know that a very large portion of men in the UK are Black, including Scotland? The biggest percentage of black men are in Ireland. So if you want to, do it.

There may be a large portion of black men in the south of England, London area, but not so many in Scotland.

On the matter of the kilt, I would love to see you in one as long as you wear it properly. My husband wears his on formal nights on the cruise. He always gets more compliments than me.

When the man kneels on the floor, the edge of the kilt should just touch the floor. This is how you get the length right.;)

• 4 years later...

I danced with a cute red headed black guy on a cruise a couple of years back. Now, he was gay and fierce with great fashion sense and attitude, so he pulled it off well. Of course he did not go commando underneath, he wore a FABULOUS RED THONG...lol.

I danced with a cute red headed black guy on a cruise a couple of years back. Now, he was gay and fierce with great fashion sense and attitude, so he pulled it off well. Of course he did not go commando underneath, he wore a FABULOUS RED THONG...lol.

WOW You resurrected a 5 year old thread! :):D

Sorry but I cringe (deeply) when I see men on cruise ships wearing kilts unless they are Scots

They never have a REAL kilt - most are polyester/wool blend with wide pleats, cut at the wrong length, and worn with all the wrong accessories. As a Scots woman - I am proud of my husband wearing his kilt - which - is hand made, as are all of my family's kilts, by my sister in law.

We can spy "an ootsider" kilt a mile off...

and it doesnt wear well....

Don't do it...:rolleyes:

Sorry but I cringe (deeply) when I see men on cruise ships wearing kilts unless they are Scots

They never have a REAL kilt - most are polyester/wool blend with wide pleats, cut at the wrong length, and worn with all the wrong accessories. As a Scots woman - I am proud of my husband wearing his kilt - which - is hand made, as are all of my family's kilts, by my sister in law.

We can spy "an ootsider" kilt a mile off...

and it doesnt wear well....

Don't do it...:rolleyes:

There's always the Utilitkilt--

http://www.utilikilts.com/

Not a Scots kilt (real or wannabee) by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by SadieN