Black man in a kilt?

Repsol Rod

Let me put it this way. Say you walked into a dance in Scotland with 200 lassies present. 100 would leap on you because of the kilt. The other 100, scornful of such transparent attempts to impress them, would leap on you because you were a black man.

Try to wear it reasonably correctly, don't get too worried about all the clan crap (about 2% of Scots are actually "entitled" to wear the tartan they wear), and you'll be pushing them off.

We really, really don't take it 1% as seriously as all our cousins who spend 3 years researching so-called tartan history, then turn up in something bright yellow with mauve stripes because someone told them it was the McBashtheEnglish hunting tartan. Basically we just wander down to Woolies and buy something red, turn up and get hammered.

xx

OK folks - here's my disclaimer right up front. I am posing the following in all honesty and sincerity and don't wish to incite any kind of ethnic, gender, or racial animosity. Please don't flame me or each other should you choose to respond.

Now then, to our fellow cruising Scotts, and others who may be so inclined to contribute:

I have always been fascinated with the kilt and admired men who have the courage to wear one outside it's native setting. So much so that I've recently contemplated donning a full formal kilt myself. I am a Black man and couldn't be further removed from Scottish heritage so I'm wondering if it might be looked upon as mocking if I were to wear one.

A kilt is edgy in and of itself - a Black man in a kilt; doubly so.

I like to push the fashion envelope but not so as to cause discord in the process.

Have any of you seen a Black man in a kilt? And against my better judgement I'm going to ask this do you think this is something I might be able to pull off - with class even?

Repsol

Let me put it this way. Say you walked into a dance in Scotland with 200 lassies present. 100 would leap on you because of the kilt. The other 100, scornful of such transparent attempts to impress them, would leap on you because you were a black man...
Nice!:D

...Try to wear it reasonably correctly, don't get too worried about all the clan crap (about 2% of Scots are actually "entitled" to wear the tartan they wear), and you'll be pushing them off...

I've decided upon the full formal kilt so I'd like to wear either military accessories or something neutral that would compliment the outfit. Just so happens there is a Scottish clothing and accessories establishment about 50k from my home. I'll be paying a visit straight away to set things in motion.

Repsol

Errrrrm....military what now?

Traditionally, a short dagger (skean dhu, sorry, can't spell it) is worn inside the sock with an ornamental hilt sticking out. Forget that on a plane or cruise ship - you'll spend the first night having your cavities searched by an Alsation and two US Marines (I make no judgement if you happen to enjoy that sort of thing). :D You can get a fake one. Dagger, that is.

That's it. No more. Don't get carried away. You're doing well so far.

A nice touch, which would look fab on a black guy, would be a Jacobean shirt - an open-necked shirt, very popular at Scottish weddings now, like what they actually wore then (ties weren't too big in the 17th century). It's round necked, with string bits hanging off, mucho macho, especially if you have a chest oxen could hide in like what I have. (I refer to hair, not muscles).

I've decided upon the full formal kilt so I'd like to wear either military accessories or something neutral that would compliment the outfit. Just so happens there is a Scottish clothing and accessories establishment about 50k from my home. I'll be paying a visit straight away to set things in motion.

Repsol

HappyScot, ohmigoodness that is the funniest post I've read on Cruise Critic!!! Thank you so much!

:p Wayhey Happy Scot is back !!

Guid tae see yi loon.;) an howz yir bidee in daen

CP if you think that post was funny - you should have read the post he started last year - pish yir drarrz stuff it wiz :D

This was a interesting subject. Not being Scottish, I don't know anything about who can wear it or who can't. If it is military looking, just make sure you were in that branch. I know I couldn't get my husband to wear one but I have a hard time getting him to wear even light green shirts, lavender shirts etc. and that has finally taken a long time to get there.

Someone mentioned wearing Saris as a fashion statement. Funny you should mention it because I work with a couple India women and one was telling me today that I should get one. I said I would look a little silly (blone and lighter skin). I think they are beautiful though.

Sounds like you have the go ahead to wear one. Are they really several hundred dollars?

Repsol

We want photo's!!!!! PLEEEEZE!

More than happy to post photos - but you all will have to wait a little while. I'll be making my kilted debut on my upcoming cruise but I don't sail until late July.

This has been a wonderful experience. I am truly elated by the overwhelming positive responses. CJW has been so gracious in helping me off line. I now have every confidence that I will be able to wear a kilt properly and with boldness!

This thread will prolly go dormant so I'll give a little bump 'round the first of August with a few pics.

Thanks all!

Repsol

What a fun and enlightening thread:)

quote:

"Say you walked into a dance in Scotland with 200 lassies present. 100 would leap on you because of the kilt. The other 100, scornful of such transparent attempts to impress them, would leap on you because you were a black man."

Thanks for making me smile:D.....hmmm.....sounds fun LOL

I might be one of those lassies...oh wait, I am not Scottish;)

oh wait, neither is the Original Poster;)

I would love to see a picture too.

More than happy to post photos - but you all will have to wait a little while. I'll be making my kilted debut on my upcoming cruise but I don't sail until late July.

This has been a wonderful experience. I am truly elated by the overwhelming positive responses. CJW has been so gracious in helping me off line. I now have every confidence that I will be able to wear a kilt properly and with boldness!

This thread will prolly go dormant so I'll give a little bump 'round the first of August with a few pics.

Thanks all!

Repsol

I will keep Happyscot informed so that he can critique the outfit! Should make for some entertaining reading! :rolleyes:

Bettie

On my last cruise I saw a man on the Promenade wearing a shirt and a THONG:eek: taking pictures. A black man in a kilt would have been a welcome respite from that sight! Go ahead if you want to wear that kilt!

Barb

oops...I made a typo..sorry!

On my last cruise I saw a man on the Promenade wearing a shirt and a THONG:eek: taking pictures. A black man in a kilt would have been a welcome respite from that sight! Go ahead if you want to wear that kilt!

Barb

Barb, a thong and shirt? You mean his was walking around

in his skivvies?:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

:p Wayhey Happy Scot is back !!

Guid tae see yi loon.;) an howz yir bidee in daen

CP if you think that post was funny - you should have read the post he started last year - pish yir drarrz stuff it wiz :D

Mun, she's grand. She hus a chest oan hur lik the Grampians, an a rear ye'd dee fur. Ah'm fair pleased wi ma'seel.

I will keep Happyscot informed so that he can critique the outfit! Should make for some entertaining reading! :rolleyes:

Bettie

Michty, it's Bettie! Crivvens, fit ur ye deain' this side o' furst classie? Mind noo, thur's a black laddie in a skirt oana rampage!!! Awa back tae Cunard the noo, afore ye get scunnered.

Translation:

Goodness gracious, is that Elizabeth? Have you accidentally wandered to the wrong end of the site? Do take care, some bloke wants to wear traditional highland dress. Do please return safely to the Cunard board, lest your patience with our uncouth ways begins to draw upon your reserves of patience.

Jamaica is a Latin country? Learning on cc or is that a new concept just here?

Jamaica is considered a Latin American Country. Also, Latin American countries are not characterized just by being Spanish speaking but Portugese.

http://countrystudies.us/caribbean-islands/37.htm

Charlize Theron has joked about being African American

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/00dmono.phtml

Latin America,

the Spanish-speaking, Portuguese-speaking, and French-speaking countries (except Canada) of North America, South America, Central America, and the West Indies. The 20 republics are Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, and Venezuela. The term Latin America is also used to include Puerto Rico, the French West Indies, and other islands of the West Indies where a Romance tongue is spoken. Occasionally the term is used to include Belize, Guyana, French Guiana, and Suriname.

AND TO THE OP....

CANT WAIT TO SEE YOUR PICS IN AUGUST...Actually, can you model for us NOW?

Yes and we are not talking Calvin Klein model here.:eek:

I have always tried to do my own thing and stepped back

from making too many judgemental statements but I gotta

say that does NOT sound very appealing:eek::confused:

Walking around the ship in his underwear and a shirt.....:rolleyes:

Michty, it's Bettie! Crivvens, fit ur ye deain' this side o' furst classie? Mind noo, thur's a black laddie in a skirt oana rampage!!! Awa back tae Cunard the noo, afore ye get scunnered.

Translation:

Goodness gracious, is that Elizabeth? Have you accidentally wandered to the wrong end of the site? Do take care, some bloke wants to wear traditional highland dress. Do please return safely to the Cunard board, lest your patience with our uncouth ways begins to draw upon your reserves of patience.

Oh goodness, it's Friday night and my dear friend HS is into his cups! Or sombody's! :p (And, no translation needed--and not spending much time on Cunard boards since they are dull as dirt). Later my friend!;)