What is the best way to get

buckspc

My morning Joe other than room service, I am real keen on my morning joe and have to have it soon after I get up, waiting for room service is not an option. Where is it served, say at 6 or 6:30 am? Is it good joe or just muddy water? I will be on the P Star on May 4th out of Seattle. I was told before that bringing my oun mug is not considered gross. Any ideas please, Buck

Bring your own mini coffee pot. I have a black and decker that makes the coffee right into the travel mug so there is no glass pot that might break. Store your milk (that you can get from the buffet) in your mini fridge and you are good to go whenever you want coffee!

Or, just go to the buffet and get it. BTW, room service coffee is the same as the buffet. We were on the Crown in Feb. and when we ordered room service they were right on time, if not early. But, if you want the "brewed" coffee then if your ship has something like an International Cafe then that's where you're going to get your coffee, for a fee, but the croissants and pastries are free, go figure.

My morning Joe other than room service, I am real keen on my morning joe and have to have it soon after I get up, waiting for room service is not an option. Where is it served, say at 6 or 6:30 am? Is it good joe or just muddy water? I will be on the P Star on May 4th out of Seattle. I was told before that bringing my oun mug is not considered gross. Any ideas please, Buck

I have always ordered room service and ask that it be delivered around 630am. They usually wake me up, so I get my coffee first thing!

The best way and the only assured way is to brew your own. I get out of bed, flip on the pot, attend to my necessities and VOILA! coffee is ready. At the time you want it; when you want it; brewed the way you want it. As for a mug, lots of people bring their own. I don't know how many times people have seen me with a mug and said, "what a great idea. Wish I'd thought to bring one."

Pia

A couple of responders have said brew your own joe, but its my understanding that it is no allowed on ship. Does it set off the smoke alarm or what? I do not want to break any rules or set off the smoke alarm, Thanks for all the advice, Buck

We have taken our own coffee pot about 14-15 times, the last time in December and no one has ever said anything. I buy a small one before we get on the ship and carry it on so they are well aware of what I have.

I always unplug it when leaving the cabin.

I love fresh-brewed coffee morning and evening, and sometimes in-between when we are sitting our our balcony. ;)

A couple of responders have said brew your own joe, but its my understanding that it is no allowed on ship. Does it set off the smoke alarm or what? I do not want to break any rules or set off the smoke alarm, Thanks for all the advice, Buck

Buckspc: I have a question. With reference to the above "brew your own joe". Is this a regional expression or a dated one? You never refer to as coffee coffee; just joe. I have heard it referred to as "java", and I think I must have heard "joe" once or twice too. Help me understand this terminology. When you go to Starbucks (or some other venue), do you order joe? Thanks.

Pia

Joe is an old expression that we used in the Marines, ask anyone thats been in the service, its just called a cup of Joe. You may be right its a dated expression but I like it, just faster to spell than coffee. I guest there are coffee snobs as well who may not like the term, beleive me its not a put down on good coffee. If its upsetting anyone I will call it coffee. Thanks Buck

I posted the same question, well, sort of, on the Alaska boards and was advised there that the best way to assure you can have your early morning coffee conveniently is to take a small coffeemaker on board. We plan to purchase one in Vancouver before we leave on our cruise and leave it behind when we disembark.

One of the main issues with the rules about not having them in your room is the fire hazard. I believe if it's unplugged and stored away after use, it won't be a problem.

I'm also planning to take our favorite brand of coffee with me so we're sure to have that familiar flavor when we wake up!

Jennifer

Joe is an old expression that we used in the Marines, ask anyone thats been in the service, its just called a cup of Joe. You may be right its a dated expression but I like it, just faster to spell than coffee. I guest there are coffee snobs as well who may not like the term, beleive me its not a put down on good coffee. If its upsetting anyone I will call it coffee. Thanks Buck

Thanks for the info Buck. Query had nothing to do with being a coffee snob, though I do like certain brands better than others.

Pia

P.S I don't know any marines; current or otherwise

When you go to Starbucks (or some other venue), do you order joe?

Actually you can (or used to) order a cup of joe at Starbucks. It was a regular cup of coffee black. No mocha; not latte; no nothing; just plain old coffee.

The etimology of the expression is probably derived from another use of the name Joe meaning an average guy - i.e. "He's just an ordinary Joe"

Actually you can (or used to) order a cup of joe at Starbucks. It was a regular cup of coffee black. No mocha; not latte; no nothing; just plain old coffee.

The etimology of the expression is probably derived from another use of the name Joe meaning an average guy - i.e. "He's just an ordinary Joe"

I guess that's me; regular coffee black. Just plain old coffee. You can call me Joe. Or better yet....Joe-anne? ;)

We have a french press that we bring along. It's GREAT! Just go up to the buffett and fill it with hot water, add our own coffee and presto coffee. We bought it at REI and it's plastic so I never worry about it breaking in the luggage.

Archived