Royal Caribbean's Genesis to Offer Towering Views?

If the "photo" of Genesis is the one in the article, the "towers" aren't towers at all; this is just the normal structure one would expect in the shipbuild. The Genesis class can't be much taller then Voyager/Freedom class ships as they won't get under the bridge(s) (See any "Making of Voyager" type DVD) after departing the shipyards in Finland. Voyager herself had a hard time squeezing under one particular bridge (No, can't remember the bridge name even though I've seen the DVD 80 bazillion times). There's no way they could take Genesis I under the same bridge with four story tall towers atop!

About the only thing this photo from the yard tells me is that it certainly looks like my beloved Royal Promenade will still be a feature of the Genesis class ships! Yay! (I doubt RCI would be upset with us knowing this)

Btw- if there's a different set of photos pointing to what's discussed in the Cruise News article, let's see it!

Cheers,

Paul

If the "photo" of Genesis is the one in the article' date=' the "towers" aren't towers at all; this is just the normal structure one would expect in the shipbuild. The Genesis class can't be much taller then Voyager/Freedom class ships as they won't get under the bridge(s) (See any "Making of Voyager" type DVD) after departing the shipyards in Finland. Voyager herself had a hard time squeezing under one particular bridge (No, can't remember the bridge name even though I've seen the DVD 80 bazillion times). There's no way they could take Genesis I under the same bridge with four story tall towers atop!

About the only thing this photo from the yard tells me is that it certainly looks like my beloved Royal Promenade will still be a feature of the Genesis class ships! Yay! (I doubt RCI would be upset with us knowing this)

Btw- if there's a different set of photos pointing to what's discussed in the Cruise News article, let's see it!

Cheers,

Paul[/quote']

I am sorry, but I think you totally wrong. That picture clearly shows two towers with balcony cabins on both sides, facing out, and inwards, with the Royal Promenade below that area. Already someone on the inside at aker yards has posted about what we see.

Please forgive what may be a stupid question....:o

I know the class is named Genesis, but is the ship itself also to be named "Genesis"? If not, do we know yet what her name will be?

It will be nice watching Cruinmama and Christie riding the boat's on the river aboard Genesis Class ships. Perhaps the spectators will be allowed to use spray guns and get em wet too. I am sure Mama's girls would like getting mom and dad totally soaked :p

Hey, hey, hey now! I don't need to get water shot into my foo foo drink. ;) :p

Please forgive what may be a stupid question....:o

I know the class is named Genesis, but is the ship itself also to be named "Genesis"? If not, do we know yet what her name will be?

Not a stupid question, the contest is still going on to "Name that Ship". The finalists are being announced every week. They are up to 3 finalists. By mid April they should have all 6 finalists. Then we'll see.

I am sorry, but I think you totally wrong. That picture clearly shows two towers with balcony cabins on both sides, facing out, and inwards, with the Royal Promenade below that area. Already someone on the inside at aker yards has posted about what we see.

Nope- that photo shows no such thing.

The "floor" of what you are calling "towers" would be deck 6- this is the ground floor of a Promenade. The only sides that show balconies are the outsides. It's possible the inside is going to have balconies overlooking the Promenade, but I can't "clearly" see this at all. The areas pointing towards the photographer don't look like balconies at all- they look like red superstructure to me.

You, and many others here, are being fooled by the perspective. Most of the white parts of the ship's belly you see in the photo are below the waterline. (Notice the lack of ports)

Again, the Genesis ships can't have "Towers" unless they are added after Aker delivers the ship- it wouldn't make it under the bridges on it's way out to sea. (It would NEVER get to NYC since such a ship wouldn't make it under the Verrazano Bridge!) :)

Think it through logically- the highest point on all RCI ships is the Viking Crown Lounge. This is true on the pre-build layout graphics for the Genesis. The mythical towers amidship would end this trend unless the VCL was placed atop them. Nope. Ain't gonna happen.

Not a stupid question, the contest is still going on to "Name that Ship". The finalists are being announced every week. They are up to 3 finalists. By mid April they should have all 6 finalists. Then we'll see.

Thanks! I'll try to do a better job of staying up on the news, now that I know where we are.

Further evidence that the "Towers" aren't towers at all, but just the normal structural build of the ship:

I blew up the photo and took a closer look and noticed some more things I only speculated about before. I then compared the construction photo to the widely distributed graphic available (often billed as a "sneak peek").

The graphic shows something interesting- Genesis will have at least 6 green glass decks (by green glass, I mean those that are seen on the outboard sides of the Freedom class ships and Navigator and Mariner... on the early Voyager, balcony openings were merely cut into the bulk head. Not as pretty) as opposed to the five decks on Freedom class ships. There also appear to be two additional decks of balconies above the green glass balconies. It's difficult to tell from the graphic. Everything above this looks to be public space.

Looking at the Genesis photo (wouldn't it be funny if this wasn't even a photo of Genesis?) and counting up the balcony decks, I count 7 decks; 3 on the blocks closest to the photographer and 4 on the so-called towers. On a Freedom class ship, the lowest balcony green glass deck would be deck 6. Assuming this to be the case, we are looking at deck 6 thru deck 12 at the top. (Or decks 5 thru 11 if they decide to start balconies a deck lower)

If the speculation is true, and these are merely towers, then clearly Genesis is going to abandon the extremely popular Royal Promenade. I think this is highly unlikely. Looking again, there's no provision or cut out for the RP on deck 6 or 7 (unless it's behind the blue tarp).

I have a more likely prediction of what we're seeing. I believe the Royal Promenade "horizontal atrium" is in fact, still there, but in a MUCH bigger and more exciting way. I think instead of four stories high, the Promenade on Genesis will be 6 (or 7) stories high. It also looks to be MUCH MUCH wider (makes sense). And yes, it looks like those with "inside" promenade rooms will have balconies! (I never understood why they didn't do this before- probably space constraints. No longer a problem on Genesis) My final prediction is that the roof of the RP on Genesis will either be glass (letting the Sunshine in by day and the stars at night) or perhaps even openable ala a Solarium- which would really make those inside RP balconies nice! Hence the big gaping space between what's being called towers now.

If I'm right, the towers will cease being towers as the ship's superstructure advances fore and aft. These are merely the highest decks yet in place. Further evidence is the lack of balconies facing the photographer on these decks. It's merely superstructure.

Again, these can't be isolated towers as the thread implies- if so, there's no space for all the decks that need to be there. You'd have the unlikely look of an oil tanker like cruise ship- three decks of balconies and then two dopey towers. Uh-uh, no way. This would make for a very unprofitable Genesis!

One more thing- I think there's a bump-out of sorts on Genesis- but instead of what we see on previous RCI ship bumpouts, this one is one gigantic arc amidship encompassing about 15 cabins- probably not a real deep arc. If you look at the Genesis graphic, you'll see what I mean.

Again, I think I'm right- and only time will tell. If I am right, remember, you heard it here first!!! :)

Cheers,

Paul

Hi all,

I have to say that I agree with Paul, I don´t think these structures are actaullt towers but an extended Royal Promenade. I have seen the same thing on the ships that were first with a promenade, Silja Serenade and Silja Symphony, also built by Aker in Finland. In those ships, the promenade extended the full hight, some six decks, providing daylight through large glass ceilings. From what I see in the picture, this is only a much bigger version. Perhaps with added interior balconies.

But of course there still has to be a lot of deck space for pools etc so my guess is that what we see rising from the RP is only a bigger high central atrium. On other words; they can't have a glass ceiling covering the whole RP.

To illustrate, see the first picture at http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/silja_serenade_1990_inr_1.htm

A very long time ago I saw a rendering of the AFT. If I can remember it correcty, the AFT will be open partially. The 2 "towers" will not become bigger as on the picture. This way, Royal Caribbean can sell much more aft/side balcony cabins with seeview and the experience is amazing.

Further evidence that the "Towers" aren't towers at all' date=' but just the normal structural build of the ship:

I blew up the photo and took a closer look and noticed some more things I only speculated about before. I then compared the construction photo to the widely distributed graphic available (often billed as a "sneak peek").

The graphic shows something interesting- Genesis will have at least 6 green glass decks (by green glass, I mean those that are seen on the outboard sides of the Freedom class ships and Navigator and Mariner... on the early Voyager, balcony openings were merely cut into the bulk head. Not as pretty) as opposed to the five decks on Freedom class ships. There also appear to be two additional decks of balconies above the green glass balconies. It's difficult to tell from the graphic. Everything above this looks to be public space.

Looking at the Genesis photo (wouldn't it be funny if this wasn't even a photo of Genesis?) and counting up the balcony decks, I count 7 decks; 3 on the blocks closest to the photographer and 4 on the so-called towers. On a Freedom class ship, the lowest balcony green glass deck would be deck 6. Assuming this to be the case, we are looking at deck 6 thru deck 12 at the top. (Or decks 5 thru 11 if they decide to start balconies a deck lower)

If the speculation is true, and these are merely towers, then clearly Genesis is going to abandon the extremely popular Royal Promenade. I think this is highly unlikely. Looking again, there's no provision or cut out for the RP on deck 6 or 7 (unless it's behind the blue tarp).

I have a more likely prediction of what we're seeing. I believe the Royal Promenade "horizontal atrium" is in fact, still there, but in a MUCH bigger and more exciting way. I think instead of four stories high, the Promenade on Genesis will be 6 (or 7) stories high. It also looks to be MUCH MUCH wider (makes sense). And yes, it looks like those with "inside" promenade rooms will have balconies! (I never understood why they didn't do this before- probably space constraints. No longer a problem on Genesis) My final prediction is that the roof of the RP on Genesis will either be glass (letting the Sunshine in by day and the stars at night) or perhaps even openable ala a Solarium- which would really make those inside RP balconies nice! Hence the big gaping space between what's being called towers now.

If I'm right, the towers will cease being towers as the ship's superstructure advances fore and aft. These are merely the highest decks yet in place. Further evidence is the lack of balconies facing the photographer on these decks. It's merely superstructure.

Again, these can't be isolated towers as the thread implies- if so, there's no space for all the decks that need to be there. You'd have the unlikely look of an oil tanker like cruise ship- three decks of balconies and then two dopey towers. Uh-uh, no way. This would make for a very unprofitable Genesis!

One more thing- I think there's a bump-out of sorts on Genesis- but instead of what we see on previous RCI ship bumpouts, this one is one gigantic arc amidship encompassing about 15 cabins- probably not a real deep arc. If you look at the Genesis graphic, you'll see what I mean.

Again, I think I'm right- and only time will tell. If I am right, remember, you heard it here first!!! :)

Cheers,

Paul[/quote']

As stated above, there is someone that actually works for Aker yards and has stated that there is going to be an area called Cental Park. It is clear from the photo that there are two towers that are being built to house balcony cabins in this area to overlook Central Park. He has also verified that there is drainage in place to handle the real grass and trees that will be planted in this area. Argue all you want but I will take the word of an actual shipyard associate over some poster. This same person kept us up to date with photos of other RCI new builds and was spot on. Also, there are eight decks of balcony cabins on Genesis, not six. Again verified by this same person.

As stated above, there is someone that actually works for Aker yards and has stated that there is going to be an area called Cental Park. It is clear from the photo that there are two towers that are being built to house balcony cabins in this area to overlook Central Park. He has also verified that there is drainage in place to handle the real grass and trees that will be planted in this area. Argue all you want but I will take the word of an actual shipyard associate over some poster. This same person kept us up to date with photos of other RCI new builds and was spot on. Also, there are eight decks of balcony cabins on Genesis, not six. Again verified by this same person.

I agree with this guy. Been lurking for years but never registered. Wanted to throw this at you. Here is an article with pics of the Genesis ship under construciton. One of the pics shows a straight shot of her where you can clearly see the Royal Promenade under construction, and prior to the addition of the portions that will make up the 2 'towers' that will run a good length amidship of Genesis and forward of the VCL.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=46627946.blog

Ad_3032_8.jpg

Also, in the pic that does show the two 'towers' you can clearly see several things:

1) The waterline is clearly marked by a division of the steel plating just below the 2 horizontal 'bumps' that also run the length of the ship.

2) The blue tarp is where the Royal Promenade is. Period.

Since the Genesis funnel is more squat that the her predessors they can add more decks, start lower in the hull, and still be as high keel to funnel.

Hope this helps.

GENESIS's Central Park will be a lot like this hotel. Interior balconies, park and green grass, but minus the glass roof. The exterior balconies will of course face the sea.

Ad_3032_13.jpg

Link to original picture (its quite large):

http://hotels.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord-national/media-room/photo-gallery/interiors/large/Atrium-Interior-7x4-300dpi.jpg

From this hotel http://hotels.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord-national/

GENESIS's Central Park will be a lot like this hotel. Interior balconies, park and green grass, but minus the glass roof. The exterior balconies will of course face the sea.

Ad_3032_13.jpg

Yeah thats what i thought too! like the Embassy suites hotel! But you can’t post that picture on here your going to have to edit you post and put the link in because you can have pictures from other cruise sites so post the like for cruise page! BTW Great job on you other drawings! P.S I believe the Royal Promenade will extend to the end of the ship because there was a rumor that there would be a big window and a walk out deck!

There's some interesting ideas in this thread.

But really, I think many people are assuming the Courtyard/Central Park will be MUCH bigger than what they would really add. In reality, it will not be much larger than the area of a supersized Freedom Class water park.

I don't want to seem like I'm killing the fun, but it is highly doubtful that "Central Park" will be anything bigger than a large atrium. Obviously, if it occupies a large amount of the middle of the ship, RCCL will have to do some major re-developments. We all know that they are very satasfied with the Voyage and Freedom designs, so Genesis will most likely closely follow those two classes.

A HUGE sign of where "Central Park" is located is the ship's large "hump" which allows for the increased width. If the courtyard extends forward and aft of the hump, it's width will change. That's pretty much why it won't a a huge outdoor mall/promenade...it's really JUST a courtyard that possibly has a pool.

Here's what I think we will probably see...

Genesis.jpg

I guess the question that comes up now is that the current modules in place that will surround the Central Park area are not now currently at the 'bulge' end but at the forward half of the ship and not the stern half where the bulge is. The reasoning behind this is that in the picture that does show the Central Park balcony modules in place, that portion of the hull below the waterline conspicuously narrows-in like the bow will, and not squared off like the stern would be. This would make me think that it will be quite a bit bigger than a 'well' design as indicated in the above post?

Ad_3032_14.jpg

I agree with this guy. Been lurking for years but never registered. Wanted to throw this at you. Here is an article with pics of the Genesis ship under construciton. One of the pics shows a straight shot of her where you can clearly see the Royal Promenade under construction, and prior to the addition of the portions that will make up the 2 'towers' that will run a good length amidship of Genesis and forward of the VCL.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=46627946.blog

Ad_3032_8.jpg

Also, in the pic that does show the two 'towers' you can clearly see several things:

1) The waterline is clearly marked by a division of the steel plating just below the 2 horizontal 'bumps' that also run the length of the ship.

2) The blue tarp is where the Royal Promenade is. Period.

Since the Genesis funnel is more squat that the her predessors they can add more decks, start lower in the hull, and still be as high keel to funnel.

Hope this helps.

Also if you look at the two photos, the bottom photo of the Freedom class does not have the overhang starting with the decks that contain the balconies like the above photo of the Genesis. I read recently that some of the piers that RCI will use to dock will have to widen due to the overhang and not hitting the ships docked on the other side of the pier. About the funnel, I remember Akerbuilder mentioning something about a secret project involving the funnel so that it could either be lowered or hinged to go under the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark.

dmwnc1959,

Is it possible that the open area shown in the construction picture is part of a forward atrium rather than the actual courtyard? It seems that it's located somewhere aft of the bridge but still relatively far forward.

If you can zoom in on the rendering to 100% and over, look through the glass area that's just under the circular things on the top deck. You can clearly see what resembles the canopies/cabanas on Solstice. Also, if the central park area stretches so far, I don't see how they could fit in the H2O Zone and sports pool. I think the cabanas surround a water park area that is just forward of the courtyard, and the open are in the construction photo might just be an atrium. It could be the atrium at the RP's forward end. But, instead of just being flooded by light, it's surrounded by more atium view balconies.

Ad_3032_15.jpg

Ad_1147_8.jpg

I think this is the part under construction we are looking at in the pictures.

My 'best guess' would be that the location of where the current Central Park balcony modules are at now is the begining of the Central Park and it will run aft to where the Viking Crown Lounge is. When I look closer at where I indicated the Royal Promenade would be, that curent location would also be where the forward Atrium would be. You can see what looks to be a 'hole' cut out in the roof of the RP and my guess is that where the elevators are that go up to the top of the ship.That cut out space is about the right size for an Atrium since it is basically a 'mine shaft', and would coninue upwards to the top decks. Cabins and or public rooms would be forward of this Atrium as in the previous classes. The RP would also continue to run aft. I am guessing the RP is going to be quite wide and quite long since it really doesnt have to support the structural weight of the 5 decks of cabins above it. Forward of the current CP-balcony modules I am guessing that there will continue to be external balconies, but 'inward facing' at that current location is where there would be the 'forward wall' of Central Park and may have inside cabins or cabins with windows or portholes facing inwards like in the RP. I am curious as to whether all 4 walls facing inwards of the CP will have baclonies, or just on the interior sides.

The idea that there's an area called "Central Park" has nothing to do with the advent of Towers. This is a typical example of runaway speculation. As I said, we'll see who's right. The idea of towers is a terrible one.

Ad_3032_15.jpg

Ad_1147_8.jpg

I think this is the part under construction we are looking at in the pictures.

My 'best guess' would be that the location of where the current Central Park balcony modules are at now is the begining of the Central Park and it will run aft to where the Viking Crown Lounge is. When I look closer at where I indicated the Royal Promenade would be, that curent location would also be where the forward Atrium would be. You can see what looks to be a 'hole' cut out in the roof of the RP and my guess is that where the elevators are that go up to the top of the ship.That cut out space is about the right size for an Atrium since it is basically a 'mine shaft', and would coninue upwards to the top decks. Cabins and or public rooms would be forward of this Atrium as in the previous classes. The RP would also continue to run aft. I am guessing the RP is going to be quite wide and quite long since it really doesnt have to support the structural weight of the 5 decks of cabins above it. Forward of the current CP-balcony modules I am guessing that there will continue to be external balconies, but 'inward facing' at that current location is where there would be the 'forward wall' of Central Park and may have inside cabins or cabins with windows or portholes facing inwards like in the RP. I am curious as to whether all 4 walls facing inwards of the CP will have baclonies, or just on the interior sides.

Yes!!! In all of the graphics posts (I was going to do this, but I wasn't sure what the CC allows) -even those arguing against me- it merely proves MY POINT that there aren't Towers jutting up (as imagined in the News Article)- these are merely part of the super-structure. If these were "Towers" ( and come on- four story Towers?!?) rather then super structure, none of the design makes sense.

I stand by my post. Can't wait for the "Well they aren't towers after all..." retraction news article. :p

Cheers,

Paul

Archived