Budget for Alaska Trip - More than I expected!!

erhoffer

Not doing any land tours in Alaska this year but got a great deal on 14 day cruise. Total cost $4000 for 2 Concierge Class add to that excursions, per cruise hotel, flights, another $3000.

We just booked our Alaska cruise about 2 weeks ago and found 2 cabins across from each other. They had 2 cabins across from each other on the June 14 sailing. Very spooky, our kids got the same cabin as they had for the Mexican Riviera. It's the type of cabin that opens up wide instead of narrow. It makes it seem so much bigger. Purchasing on Southwest is great for us, if the price drops, we change to the lower fare and get a credit for the difference and our booking agent gave us credit towards the ship gratuities. After doing much research and recommendations from this website, I hope we saved a few $$$. Here's our approximate breakdown for 1 week in Seattle and 1 week Alaska Cruise:

$7400 Cruise, Deck 9, Inside and Balcony cabins (50%)

$1400 Southwest Air for 7 people (9.3%)

$1700 Excursions in 4 ports including car rental (11.3%)

$1500 food off the cruise ship ($150 per day x 10 days) (10%)

$1300 7 night accommodations thru out Washington. (8.7%)

$600 1 week SUV rental, pick up at Seattle Airport, drop off at Port Seattle (4%)

$500 Gasoline for SUV (3%)

$600 Extras, souvenirs, snacks, unknown, etc. (4%)

$15,000 Total

We've never kept track on the expenditures like this, but Alaska is more expensive than our other cruises or trips. Does this sound about right for 2 weeks for 7 people?

By the way, in Ketchikan, the ship excursions $90 were double the price for the Totem Bight Park and Saxman combined, compared to $45 with www.aksourdoughtours.com

In Juneau, www.mightygreattrips.com has a city, glacier and hatchery tour for $35 each. The Gold Creek Salmon Bake appears to be $32 each, $21 for children through www.goldbelttours.com

In Skagway, budgetqueen suggested renting 2 vehicles at Avis $114 each all day and using Murray's Guide. We're adding gold panning thru www.skagwayadventures.com for $18.

In Prince Rupert, we're going through our ship (most affordable in this case), NCL for the 2 hour Kaien Island Circle Tour for $75 each. If we had time, we'd choose the 5 hour Grizzly Bear Tour for $200. There is a boat charter $875 for max of 6 people to see the bears, but it's 6 hours and we're 7 people. I can't seem to find a jet boat adventure that does the same. Can anyone help with this? If not, any suggestions on a Prince Rupert city tour? NCL has a 2 hour tour for $52. Are the petroglyphs worth the added expense? We're a family interested in history. My family is afraid of flying in small planes. No one seems to get seasick. I read that bears can be seen on the Inside Passage. Any chance we could drive further away from Skagway and find some bears?

Someone peaked my interest, what is a wine card?

Thanks so much for the help!

We just booked our Alaska cruise about 2 weeks ago and found 2 cabins across from each other. They had 2 cabins across from each other on the June 14 sailing. Very spooky, our kids got the same cabin as they had for the Mexican Riviera. It's the type of cabin that opens up wide instead of narrow. It makes it seem so much bigger. Purchasing on Southwest is great for us, if the price drops, we change to the lower fare and get a credit for the difference and our booking agent gave us credit towards the ship gratuities. After doing much research and recommendations from this website, I hope we saved a few $$$. Here's our approximate breakdown for 1 week in Seattle and 1 week Alaska Cruise:

$7400 Cruise, Deck 9, Inside and Balcony cabins (50%)

$1400 Southwest Air for 7 people (9.3%)

$1700 Excursions in 4 ports including car rental (11.3%)

$1500 food off the cruise ship ($150 per day x 10 days) (10%)

$1300 7 night accommodations thru out Washington. (8.7%)

$600 1 week SUV rental, pick up at Seattle Airport, drop off at Port Seattle (4%)

$500 Gasoline for SUV (3%)

$600 Extras, souvenirs, snacks, unknown, etc. (4%)

$15,000 Total

We've never kept track on the expenditures like this, but Alaska is more expensive than our other cruises or trips. Does this sound about right for 2 weeks for 7 people?

By the way, in Ketchikan, the ship excursions $90 were double the price for the Totem Bight Park and Saxman combined, compared to $45 with www.aksourdoughtours.com

In Juneau, www.mightygreattrips.com has a city, glacier and hatchery tour for $35 each. The Gold Creek Salmon Bake appears to be $32 each, $21 for children through www.goldbelttours.com

In Skagway, budgetqueen suggested renting 2 vehicles at Avis $114 each all day and using Murray's Guide. We're adding gold panning thru www.skagwayadventures.com for $18.

In Prince Rupert, we're going through our ship (most affordable in this case), NCL for the 2 hour Kaien Island Circle Tour for $75 each. If we had time, we'd choose the 5 hour Grizzly Bear Tour for $200. There is a boat charter $875 for max of 6 people to see the bears, but it's 6 hours and we're 7 people. I can't seem to find a jet boat adventure that does the same. Can anyone help with this? If not, any suggestions on a Prince Rupert city tour? NCL has a 2 hour tour for $52. Are the petroglyphs worth the added expense? We're a family interested in history. My family is afraid of flying in small planes. No one seems to get seasick. I read that bears can be seen on the Inside Passage. Any chance we could drive further away from Skagway and find some bears?

Someone peaked my interest, what is a wine card?

Thanks so much for the help!

No there is no place you can "drive" to out of Skagway for bears. Verify your timing for the bear tours out of Prince Rupert, since you are going in June?? Before the salmon runs??

You have my information on the NCL add on Tracy Arm tour which is always a must do for me. Be certain everyone is ok with no glacier view from the ship.

Our cruise to Alaska this June won't costs anywhere near what other posters are paying. The cost of the cruise is just over $4000, we have 3 excursions that total no more than $300. We are staying at a Holiday Inn in Seattle for one night and parking for the week at $175. I don't fly if I can help it. We are driving from Wyoming and with the cost of gas we have budgetted at least $500 for just gas, then the cost of hotel's one night going to Seattle $100 and same coming back, plus we plan on staying in the Paradise area the night we get off the cruise and expect to pay around $200 for the night. Then at least $500 just for extra things we want(food, drinks, pictures etc.) So that comes to just under $6000. But then again we are doing any cruise tours, and this is just for 2 people. So I guess I am not as cheap as I thought.:D

Which Denali B&B?

We ended up booking a family room (4) at the Denali Backcountry Lodges in Kantishna. Camp Denali was highly recommended, but we couldn't make the dates work.

The DBL people are booking our extra activities there. We added the overnight at the entrance in one of their family Denali Cabins (which I take to be very basic from the other posters here), then a "crack of dawn" raft trip the next morning. The super-pricey lodging costs includes the bus trip out (6-8 hr) and back, food, and the full day of backcountry activities - hikes and whatnot.

We swapped the bus for an added air taxi back the next morning, since my husband wanted to see the mountain, if weather permits.... So that few days alone amounted to a huge % of the overall trip.

- Erin

Since everyone else is doing it - here are our numbers so far (for 2 people):

cruise: 2800

glassblowing tour: 400

misty fiords flightseeing: 460

flight: 500

amtrak: 54

town car: 120

total so far: 4334

We still haven't decided on what to do in Juneau and Sitka, nor have we decided on which tour to take from Whittier to Anchorage. I'm figuring at least another 1000 and maybe 1500 will go into the trip once it's all said and done.

Cruise is 7 days northbound on Carnival Spirit...

WOW, some of you folks spend a lot more on vacations than I do. You can budget and do things that don't cost an arm and a leg. It doesn't have to cost a fortune. It's all what you are willing to spend to do what you want to do.

"It doesn't have to cost a fortune...." IMO, great advice. Persons who must necessarily travel on a budget CAN see and experience the grandeur of Alaska without booking a balcony cabin, or staying in 4 or 5 star accomodations, or without traveling first class on the Alaska Railroad, or without taking the high priced flight tours, or without landing on a glacier, or riding in a dog sled, etc. All those are wonderful experiences, but really do multiply the costs. There are many tips and suggestions on this board from people who have been to Alaka for much less. I get the impression sometimes the thinking is "It is Alaska and price be D****D." If you are willing and able to afford all those extra expenses you will have the cruise of a lifetime. But please do not hesitate going to Alaska if you need to budget. O.K. I already feel the heat.

No heat from me. We are budget travellers. Including airfare and excursions ($250 in Juneau, $200 in Ketchikan and self-guided hike in Skagway) we are under $3000. Would have been less but opted for an outside cabin and (DH's first time to AK) pretty expensive excursions. Last time I went, my friend and I spent the cost of airfare, an inside cabin, and a bit on the ship (2 drinks and a wine tasting.)

Now, that we compared expenses, it's a little depressing. We could use those funds for upgrades on our home or a better vehicle! LOL.

What is a wine card?

What is the Northern Lights coupon book?

The toursaver didn't seem to have much for our ports that we could use on Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Prince Rupert. Was I looking in the wrong place?

What is the Northern Lights coupon book?

The toursaver didn't seem to have much for our ports that we could use on Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Prince Rupert. Was I looking in the wrong place?

both coupon books are geared to land tours, not the cruise ports.

here is the link for the Northern Lights Book.

http://www.alaska-discounts.com/

What is a wine card?

Holland America (not sure re other lines) offers a prepurchase wine card for 10 or 20 glasses of house wine. So we know in advance what our wine cost will be -- we'll be doing the "house wine" with dinner most nights. The 20 glass card cost $77.xx, a really good value, works out to around $3.80/glass.

Our cruise to Alaska this June won't costs anywhere near what other posters are paying. The cost of the cruise is just over $4000, we have 3 excursions that total no more than $300. We are staying at a Holiday Inn in Seattle for one night and parking for the week at $175. I don't fly if I can help it. We are driving from Wyoming and with the cost of gas we have budgetted at least $500 for just gas, then the cost of hotel's one night going to Seattle $100 and same coming back, plus we plan on staying in the Paradise area the night we get off the cruise and expect to pay around $200 for the night. Then at least $500 just for extra things we want(food, drinks, pictures etc.) So that comes to just under $6000. But then again we are doing any cruise tours, and this is just for 2 people. So I guess I am not as cheap as I thought.:D

That must be some cruise ship cabin to cost just over $4000 for 2 people on Rhapsody of the Seas! Others booked Rhapsody because it was the cheapest Alaska cruise available - with good reason.

- Erin "just a spreadsheet geek"...

Then I'm one, too, cuz I've got an Excel sheet going, too. And for just the 2 of us I've budgeted 14k, so far. That does include spending money, tips, and everything I've bought clothing wise to go, too. Being a "spreadsheet geek" isn't bad, I think it's very smart! ;)

We're going on a budget.

A 5 gallon water bottle full of pocket change. ( estimated $1,600 ) and our fed rebate = r/t airfare to Seattle from Sacramento and 7 day Alaska cruise outside cabin.

It feels so good to help the economy. :D

That must be some cruise ship cabin to cost just over $4000 for 2 people on Rhapsody of the Seas! Others booked Rhapsody because it was the cheapest Alaska cruise available - with good reason.

Actually that isn't that bad, it is with taxes and tips included and we have a balcony cabin and that is cheaper than what others are having to pay right now, it has gone up. I booked this cruise last years.:D

I forgot to mention that we're doing a cruisetour, with 5 nights on land from Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage to Seward to board the Millie with a CC Aft cabin, then a 7 night cruise to Hubbard, Juneau, Skagway, ISP, Ketchikan to Vancouver. All the included tours plus 6 added excursions and a spa pkg for me. Oh, yeah, and the airfare. Thus the high expense. We're trying to do as much and as nice as we can. I've got some medical issues that may prevent me from cruising in the future so we're taking advantage of going all out at least this once. We going to book a future cruise while on board for a Western Panama Canal in April 2010 for our 25th Anniversary.

"It doesn't have to cost a fortune...." IMO, great advice. Persons who must necessarily travel on a budget CAN see and experience the grandeur of Alaska without booking a balcony cabin, or staying in 4 or 5 star accomodations, or without traveling first class on the Alaska Railroad, or without taking the high priced flight tours, or without landing on a glacier, or riding in a dog sled, etc. All those are wonderful experiences, but really do multiply the costs. There are many tips and suggestions on this board from people who have been to Alaka for much less. I get the impression sometimes the thinking is "It is Alaska and price be D****D." If you are willing and able to afford all those extra expenses you will have the cruise of a lifetime. But please do not hesitate going to Alaska if you need to budget. O.K. I already feel the heat.

No heat from me either. I am amazed at the costs everyone is stating. I went a few years ago and didn't pay what others are stating and I did do a whale watch and a Misty Fjords flight and 3 days in Vancouver. I guess I am good at getting a bargain and I will stay I don't stay in 5 star hotels. I can't wait to go back again.

No heat from me either. I am amazed at the costs everyone is stating. I went a few years ago and didn't pay what others are stating and I did do a whale watch and a Misty Fjords flight and 3 days in Vancouver. I guess I am good at getting a bargain and I will stay I don't stay in 5 star hotels. I can't wait to go back again.

No five star hotels for me either...all B & Bs but one. Still added up to hefty sum.

Air = $3600 (open jaw tickets, but can be reduced with ff miles) = 15%

Cruise = $6540 (one CC and one Inside cabin, Celebrity) = 27%

Pre- and Post-cruise lodging = $4140 = 17%

Activities (Excursions, mostly independent) = $5500 = 22%

Train (Seward-Fairbanks, gold svc) = $1740 = 7%

Food (besides basic cruise meals) = $2300 = 9%

Insurance and Souvenirs = $900 = 3%

The memories = PRICELESS

Let see...

I spent $1344 on the cruise (inside cabin single price on HAL).

About $600 on airfare (LAX to YVR, ANC to Sea, SEA to LGB... I booked LAX to YVR and SEA to LGB together and bought a one way ticket for SEA to LGB).

About $250 in hotel (one night in Vancouver and one night in Seattle).

About $300 on excursions (Skagway and Ketchikan).

About $300 for car rentals in Seward (very expensive for one way to Anchorage) and Juneau.

That is about $2800 total. Is that too much for one person? I figure I will probaly spend another $200-$300 for souvenirs and tips and everything.

This is absolutely true...

on our first trip to AK, when the kids were young, we took a shorter (7 day) cruise, and limited ourselves to one moderately priced shore excursion per port (our big splurge was a kayak trip with southeast sea kayaks in ketchikan). Some of our best memories were from very low cost activities, such as hiking on Mt Roberts, or sitting in Horizon Court in the evening listening to the Naturalist as we enjoyed the scenery.

This time around we are pulling out all the stops when it comes to excursions, with 3 flightseeing tours planned for our 14 day cruise, as well as the white pass railroad, rock climbing, and numerous wildlife boat tours; we are just hoping we enjoy the experience half as much as we did when visited 4 years ago!

Being a "spreadsheet geek" isn't bad, I think it's very smart! ;)

LOL.... I also worked up a spreadsheet for our itinerary and mapped out our preferred excursions and alternates. Since things are noted by day/hour it let me figure out how to 'backfill' time between organized excursions with some things to do on our own. It also lets me keep track of planned expenses and other sheets in the file let me figure out packing & shopping lists as well as to-do lists prior to the trip.

Cheers

Chris in VA

Archived