Unusual finds while snorkelling, etc?

cpizzull

I haven't found anything, but you can bet I will now be looking a bit closer to things in the water....

THis is a fun thread...

Kathy

I agree! I've been wasting my time looking for fish!!! LOL

I try not to pick up or mess with anything that comes from the ocean/beach as it could be cursed. One of those superstitions that I have coming from the islands, just like taking those Lava Rocks out of Hawaii.

Fred

I try not to pick up or mess with anything that comes from the ocean/beach as it could be cursed. One of those superstitions that I have coming from the islands, just like taking those Lava Rocks out of Hawaii.

Fred

Ahh Fred, you have been watching too many Brady Bunch reruns. :p :D

bradytiki.jpg

I once found Mickey Mouse while snorkeling. This was right before I was attacked my man-eating (well, finger-eating) Mangrove Snappers. Bear in mind that Mickey's head comes off (don't ask)

discr76_sm.jpg

On our way back from snorkeling in Antigua, I came across numerous bills of various denominations floating in the water. It was fun diving for them and collecting them all. Well, then the problem was figuring out who had really lost the money. We kept our ears open, and finally the bar tender on the catamaran announced that someone had gone snorkeling with all his money in his swim shorts pocket, and was laughing as he asked if anyone found his money in the middle of the ocean to please be a good samaritan and turn it in. I think they fellow AND the bartender were really shocked when someone actually did turn it in.

Ok now I REALLY want to give snorkelling a try. ;) I had several giggles reading this interesting thread. I've been debating on going snorkelling, but I'm the only one in my group that is interested in going. I'm going for it now - the rest of the lazy bunch can chill on the beach! lol

And on my checklist - don't bring rx glasses and let my SO hold my valuables while I go snorkelling, since he'll be sitting on the beach. lol

Arrrrr - maybe I'll find some treasure too!

(couldn't resist the arrrrrr) :rolleyes:

Have fun!

Brandi

I put my expensive brand new prescription sunglasses on top of my head while snorkeling in Belize. Several hours later I realized they were gone. I went back in the water and actually found them. The water was amazingly clear and I was able to spot them without much trouble. Thank goodness!

Its a shame people dont realize the damage they can do when snorkling.

Not to be the joy-kill, but the first lesson is SCUBA is touch nothing. People dropping things left and right on corral will kill the reefs. Even worse if you are hitting the corral trying to get something next to it off the ocean floor.

Not to be the joy-kill, but the first lesson is SCUBA is touch nothing. People dropping things left and right on corral will kill the reefs. Even worse if you are hitting the corral trying to get something next to it off the ocean floor.

You can easily snorkel down and pick something up off the bottom without damaging the coral or touching it. You have to be careful with the flippers. We are very careful when we snorkel but if I saw something on the bottom that doesnt belong there I would want to remove it.

While snorkeling in Mexico out tour guide "found" an octopus hiding in a rock. The crazy guy dove down and yanked it out of the rock. The octopus turned pure white out of fright. The guide was all motioning for us to stay where we were. NO WAY! You have never seen a group of people back paddle faster! The octopus finally turned red in anger and stretched himself about 10 ft long. The guy released him and the octopus shot back to the bottom and ALL the way into the rocks.

While snorkeling in Mexico out tour guide "found" an octopus hiding in a rock. The crazy guy dove down and yanked it out of the rock. The octopus turned pure white out of fright. The guide was all motioning for us to stay where we were. NO WAY! You have never seen a group of people back paddle faster! The octopus finally turned red in anger and stretched himself about 10 ft long. The guy released him and the octopus shot back to the bottom and ALL the way into the rocks.

LOL. That's hilarious cause I know what I did when this big lobster started to come out from under a rock. ;o)

Didn't find anything, but lost my diamond stud earring!! We were snorkelling in Grand Cayman and I was wearing little earrings that I never take off....my mask got caught on my earring and out it came...I watched it sink to the bottom but couldn't grab it fast enough....ugh....but came home and hubby got me a new pair for Christmas a few weeks later....i often think of that little earring down there in paradise, LOL

Ahh Fred, you have been watching too many Brady Bunch reruns. :p :D

bradytiki.jpg

I once found Mickey Mouse while snorkeling. This was right before I was attacked my man-eating (well, finger-eating) Mangrove Snappers. Bear in mind that Mickey's head comes off (don't ask)

discr76_sm.jpg

ROFLMAO! :p :D

[oh,...and regarding mickey's now detachable head, well...he pissed minnie off.]

Dear Mr. or Mrs. Killjoy,

Ahhh...Nevermind.:D

Archived