Noordam review 3/19

drcandon

Wife unit and I are back from the 3/19 cruise and I know I am a little late posting this review, but I thought it might help those who never sailed with the Noordam or HAL before.

First I want to say I am going to be honest in this review and not gloss over anything, so I am sure I will upset some. Also I have been on other cruise lines and other HAL ships so I do have a bit of a basis of comparison. I took extensive notes for my own personal diary and also because I wanted to post a review when I returned.

We were also suite guests, so I guess I will be a bit biased on that point, but a lot of people post questions as to whether a suite and/or the Neptune lounge is worth it. So I will try and answer that subjectively as I ramble

So here goes

Embarkation.... As others have mentioned already there was a three hour delay getting on to the ship because of late arrival and rough seas encountered. HAL tried to handle it as smoothly as they could. Constant announcements on progress and a credit on your account for a bit of lunch. Bus transportation was provided to drop off passengers in downtown NYC if they cared to go. The only thing available at the pier was a vendor of hot dogs. HAL handed out numbers based on your arrival and you boarded when the ship was ready according to that. Suite perk - you got on the ship first - so my wife and I were on by about 1:45. Another line that we have been on in the past has similar issues and getting on board was an absolute mess and confusion - hats off to HAL for handling this as best as they could.

Ship Appearance.... Again as a suite perk we scampered up to the Neptune lounge to get some food and then I ran all over the ship taking pictures and notes of the ship condition. So if you saw a maniac running around with a huge digital camera and flash unit - that was me - sorry if I ran into you. I took photos and did my own inspection of every nook and cranny of the ship while the rest of the paks were boarding - I can only say for doing such a quick turn around this crew is impressive. I never saw any crap laying around from previous cruises and every thing was polished, clean and shiny. No offence to other cruise lines, but another cruise line we were on had a smaller delay in boarding (as I mentioned before) and it looked like the crew has not even started yet - I remember distinctly our cabin stuart had to come back and remove left over stuff.

This ship is definitely worthy of HALS signature of excellence program. The rich warms colours - well designed interior and tasteful decorations - truly show of a designer touch - nothing garish. The only thing I can criticize is the glass staircase amidships - I can see on rough seas how anyone could easily fall on them - especially with high heels. Just as note - whenever the ship was sailing that staircase was closed off - only open during port days- at least what I observed. The main dining room is very spacious - I did not see any area that was claustrophobic as others describe - true the upper dining room ceiling seems a bit low - but nothing that distressed my wife (she is claustrophobic!!!). The gym was very large and well equipped. All common areas seemed to have plenty of seats and always had some available even on the busiest days. On this day, when we got up to the Lido deck most folks had found a seat and it was not too crowded or disorderly.

As a note - we apparently sailed with a full ship and around 200 or so kids on board. the demographics on this cruise was definitely not HAL usual. And the ship stayed immaculate all through the cruise. Kudos to the staff and the mostly well behaved children as well.

Meals, food and such...The most common question besides entertainment ( which I will get to in a minute) is the food. As I said I have been on a cruise line that is or was noted for its culinary advantages and I have to say the HAL is DEFINTELY improved. We have been a couple of other HAL cruises and that food was very good - this was very very good. Maybe still not quite up to the other lines abilities but I must say very close. Only a couple of meals had an item ( NOT the entire meal) I did not care for, but the rest of the items were fabulous. All beef selections were done to perfection and exactly as ordered ( medium rare). HAL has done a great job in cutting down on the salt used. I am not a strict salt free diet, but I have to watch it- I never found any meal too salty as others have complained about. The deserts were very good - even on the lido deck and I love chocolate. Speaking of which the chocolate extravaganza was held on the Lido pool area - much better for taking pictures and a lot less crowded (last time I was on the Westerdam they held it in the Vista dining room - lower level only). Now for the Neptune lounge - well a mixed bag here. There is no full buffet or food items here - mostly small finger food items - again very tasty - and great for a quick bite. The mix as you want espresso/cappuccino/coffee machine did a decent job for a fresh pressed coffee machine. But a warning - it is strong - and I am a Starbucks fanatic. The nice thing is there is some kind of food item available from morning until close - it is always fresh and well presented. And of course you don't have to fight someone for it...except for the chocolate éclairs - those you have to be on the ball for. Oh yes and unlike a trend I heard of in other cruise lines (which could be just unsubstantiated rumours) you still get filet on the surf and turf night and you can still get as many lobster tails a you can eat. I saw one guy with 6. All in all excellent food.

As I said perhaps all of HAL are not entirely up to the quality/presentation of food items as compared to one other cruise line, however they have improved on the Noordam.

Just a comment about room service. We had full service breakfast in our room/balcony a couple of times during the cruise. The meal was delivered right on time and was reasonably hot - you have got to remember you are not the only one on this ship folks!

Entertainment....As lot of criticism has been levied towards HAL and their entertainment. I am not so critical on the quality of the performers. I have seen big name acts that have not put as much effort into the show. That being said, I must admit that the sometimes the lead singers where not quite on - at least in this cruise anyways. The dancers were good, just the singing of the Noordam cast was a bit off. The costumes and set changes were as good as any stage production I have seen. As far as the "paid" or contract entertainers. I won't use names of the entertainers just in case. The venue consisted of a comedian/ventriloquist, a comedian that wrote for several sitcoms in the 70's, a British singer and a acrobatic/magician team. The ventriloquist was not so hot with the props ( a male "dummy" and a dinosaur) however when he involved the audience it was very good, especially the two children on the first show. The comedian was old school comedy, and was entertaining. The female singer was outstanding - not my type of music, but her vocal range and abilities could not be doubted. The acrobatic/magician team was a new act together. They did some interesting body juggling moves, but the magic part of the act was just the standard sword act etc. I guess I am jaded from the fancy magic acts I have seen and of course from the TV shows explaining how it is done. I must admit the box separation act was a puzzle, it was done with a mirrored back drop - that is a twist I have not seen before.

The Philippine and Indonesian crew shows were very good - they really put their all into the acts.

Some of the other entertainment we attended was the 50 - 80's music trivia nights and taking in the excellent violin quartet in the lounges. I cannot speak for any of the other venues as we did not get to them.

The only extra suite perk that I guess rates a mix of entertainment/food/social activities is the suite luncheon on the last day out. We were all disappointed that the captain did not attend. And contrary to opinion, there was lots of food, but the booze is closely monitored now.

Ports of Call.... We were on the 10 day out and as such our ports were Grand Turk, Tortola, St. Marten/Martin, St.Thomas/St.John, San Juan. I am not going to write full reviews of the islands, that is not the intent of this article, instead of how HAL handles the whole process. I cannot fault HAL in any way on how they handle the island hopping/visiting process. They get the passengers off as quickly and as orderly as possible and they make constant articulate announcements as to when they expect you back on. As far as I know no passengers missed the boat in any port and we set sail from every port on time. It is very nice to see the HAL staff waiting for you with the traditional warm wet hand towels as you get back on board and the ice tea/water dispensers. And of course the traditional (now) Purell hand goop. Any of the excursions handled and booked through HAL went off smoothly and for the most part the excursion desk knew what they were talking about. The only exception that I heard about was on an excursion we took in Tortola - the "forest hike and swim". The excursion desk told one family that this was an easy hike. This was not in any way, an easy hike, there are exposed tree roots, very rocky and in some spots a very steep climb. The wife admitted herself that this was no hike for a family of slightly larger proportions and they had a difficult time, however they made it. I know you can get all of these excursions a lot cheaper if you book yourself, however when you book through HAL - you are their responsibility. Luckily all our ports were docked and no tender process.

Debarkation...All good things must come to an end. What can I say, I hate the process. To entice you to go to the talk they give you a couple glasses of bubbly. Like all other debarkation talks they are boring and tedious, but necessary. If you have been to one you have been to them all. The highlight is when they bring out all the staff ( as many as can be spared) to wave goodbye - nice touch. Again the Captain was conspicuously absent. Oh well, I hear this Captain is not as free with his time as others - each to his own - as long as he gets me there and back. At least on HAl you are allowed to stay in you stateroom, they encourage you to use the common areas, but do not enforce it like other cruise lines. Also they let you have room service on the last day as well - nice touch.

Suite perks - is it worth it? A lot of discussion has been garnered about this topic. Well HAL has really got to get the distinction between Superior and Deluxe suites straightened out. On a previous cruise with HAL I heard about one or two instances where a family was quite unhappy with what they thought was a bargain with a Superior suite - turned out of course they do not get the Neptune lounge and other perks - very unhappy. But then our TA knew of the difference, so who's fault is it really??? Anyway, if you can swing the extra cash, I would say, yes. Just the convenience of the Neptune lounge and the odds and ends in there ( getting conflicts corrected, making reservations, shore excursions etc etc) is well worth it. Plus they have great double chocolate chip cookies. The staff usually knows your name and habits after the first couple of visits and they actually care. I am not saying the Front Desk is not great also - but the little extra helps. Neptune lounge aside - what about the rest...If they took away the Neptune lounge - just for a bigger cabin - I am not so sure. If you are on a longer voyage with a lot of sea days, I would say yes. But if this was an island/port intensive cruise where you are off ship a lot, I would just take a outside with a balcony. Again, my opinion.

General thoughts and impressions....With the Noordam and the new signature of excellence program HAL has once again proved to me they are an upscale cruise lines but in a moderate price bracket. True, this was a little livelier cruise because of the more youthful demographics, but I have heard that HAL is starting to appeal to a younger crowd. My only complaints are that are, perhaps because of the normal age group on the ship some of the more adventurous activities on and off ship are not offered. For example, in one port, another cruise line offered zip lining - HAL did not. Yea, I know what you are saying - then go on another cruise line - no thank you. Also it seems that the HAL activities for the younger crowd is improving as well, I never heard any complaints and most of the kids were well behaved. Oh a couple of kids ran though one hall chasing another with a pillow, but they were not yelling and screaming - and it was the last day out.

Oh yea, the aft pool. Second day out, near the afternoon, there were very obvious signs everywhere that the aft pool is for adults only. And I saw a very conspicuous presence of OFFICERS hanging around enforcing it. Kudos to HAL for actually doing this. I am sure it angered some folks, but kids will be kids and if they jump on some older folks in the pool by accident they could hurt them.

All in all - excellent cruise - very clean well maintained ship

I would be remiss, not mentioning the crew. What can I say - in all the cruises we have been on the HAL crew is the most polite, friendly and efficient folks I have ever seen. Take the time to talk to them and they do their utmost to communicate in English and will tell you all about their native lands- try it sometime - you might learn something.

Well your review isn't that late. I still haven't gotten my review of my 12/1/2007 cruise off the laptop yet. It sounds as if your experience was similar to mine, except that we had excellent entertainment on our cruise thanks to Justin Miller, Katzenjammer and a husband wife team of magicians. From what I've read ours was the exception not the rule. Check out my webpage from our cruise to help jog your memory. Sorry, nothing from the Neptune lounge and I think our ports were slightly different. Thanks for refreshing my memory!

Bob

Thanks so much for posting this detailed review! We've never sailed HAL before but are seriously considering the Noordam 20-day next February. She sounds like a lovely ship with a terrific crew.

Archived