Canada / New England

british betty

Apart from the fact that having a balcony is always preferable if possible, would we be missing out very much if we had an ocean view instead???. I'm guessing that the weather at the end of September / beginning of October on this trip isn't exactly Mediterranean temperatures.

If youre on the cruise that docks overnight in Quebec...it is nice to have the balcony due to the GREAT view of the Hotel Frontenac. However, on our cruise it did rain practically everyday.

We had a CC balcony for this itinerary on Connie, Oct., 2004, again for Westbound T/A in Sept., 2005 and again last Oct.-Nov.

Out of all that, there may have been 3 times we actually sat out on the balcony and read for a lenghthy period of time. Almost every morning I went out on the balcony for 5-10 minutes to start the day while DW was getting ready to go out. A couple of times on most days, I would go out on the balcony, if only for 5-10 mins. at a time, to drink a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.

The balcony was always a help in guessing how to dress for the day and unless it was actually raining we would always go onto the balcony for our first and last looks at the port of the day.

Kman

Apart from the fact that having a balcony is always preferable if possible, would we be missing out very much if we had an ocean view instead???. I'm guessing that the weather at the end of September / beginning of October on this trip isn't exactly Mediterranean temperatures.

We have done this cruise twice, one at the end of September and one at the end of October. Both were on the Constellation and we had an FV. Aft is perfect in Quebec because of the night views of all of the city's "lightscape". If you can afford an aft FV or CC do it. It is worth it!!!! Plus, the additional deck space is fabulous!!!!!!

We took that cruise during the fall of 06, and it was the last of the season, so it was c-o-l-d. But we had a balcony, and we loved it!

For the most part, during the day you could stand outside and enjoy scenery at ports. It wasn't that cold. But when we cruised the Saganaw (I can't remember how to spell it...) it was c-c-c-old, and we were so glad we had our balcony. We'd run inside ocassionally to warm up. We saw baluga whales from the balcony, and I don't know if we'd have seen them from just a window.

Would I do it again? You bet! But, then again, I am addicted to balconies.

Shay

We love balconies and in fact had one booked for our Sep' 2005 New England/Canada cruise and changed it to an oceanview. Upon arriving and boarding ship, we went to our cabin (the cabin we booked) and the card would not open it. We went to the Purser's desk and were informed (not his terminology) that the upgrade fairy had put us in a mini suite with a balcony. We had fair weather, though chilly and did not use our balcony other than on a few occasions to see what the weather/temperature was.

Having said the above, if the difference is only $10-20/day higher, I would spent the money. We saved over $500 by opting for oceanview which was paying for our excursions.

Archived