Rome pre-cruise: planning not coming together- need advice

We are going to be in Rome Sun 6/22 until our cruise departs 6/27. I have sent a request (as directed with all pertinent information from their website) for a scavi tour and have still not heard back yet. I gave them several date options (Mon, Tues and Thurs anytime and Wed after 1 pm) so as to allow the most chances for getting a tour. I sent my original request on 3/20 and promptly received an auto generated email back saying they got the request but would be closed for the Easter Holiday until 3/25 and would process requests when they returned. 4/7 I followed up via email but still have not heard anything.

I am getting a little antsy because I would like to make arrangements for a Vatican Tour and a trip to Osti Antica. But I am afraid if I get these things arranged then it will conflict with my scavi tour (that is, if I ever hear back).

I wish I knew Italian because I would call them. If they don't have space that's fine, just let me know so I can plan other things.

Any suggestions??????

Are you staying at a hotel in Rome? It may be possible for the hotel to book the Scavi tour for you and send you a confirmation number. That way you just have to pay when you get to the tour. We did not have an overnight stay in Rome, but this method worked perfectly for us on the Secret Intineraries Tour of Doges Palace in Venice. Worth an email inquiry to your hotel, for sure!

From what I've read about the Scavi tour they do let you know they received your request fairly quickly after you send it but then you don't hear back about the actual date/time of your tour until who-knows-when; possibly much closer to the date of your trip. I think other people have posted about it taking months to get the confirmtion so I think you shouldn't be surprised at this point if you only sent it in March.

I know what you mean about planning around it. I requested a tour, gave two dates and then have tried to leave blocks of time free on those 2 days until I hear back from the Vatican. It would be a shame for you to miss out on planning other tours - I hope you hear something soon!

Last year (May) we just wanted the Guided tour tickets of the Vatican . The only way to get them last year was by fax (they have added email this year - a great improvement!) I sent three different faxes to the number I had seen posted many times on Cruise Critic. Never got an answer! Those fax calls were not free. I paid plenty for those calls to Italy on my phone bill. I did finally find an email address, but no answer from it either. SO...even though many others have had great success getting tickets from the Vatican I was unsuccessful - even with numerous attempts. We went there on the day and time I had requested but our name was not on the list. :o We got the headsets instead and had a wonderful tour of the Vatican Museums and St. Peters anyway.

So try my idea of contacting your hotel to get a reservation number for the Scavi tour. We were so glad we did that in Venice.

I personally would DROP this Scavi dude and find someone else quick~ ~ ~you wasted enough time already with him. You need answers and confirmations, go get them, forget scavi and move on. :D

I personally would DROP this Scavi dude and find someone else quick~ ~ ~you wasted enough time already with him. You need answers and confirmations, go get them, forget scavi and move on. :D

You're kidding, right? Scavi is not a "dude" - it's the excavation/St. Peter's tomb tour underneath the Vatican.

(PSSST NAS-KARR - FYI: Scavi is not a DUDE but the name of an underground tour of the Vatican offered through the Vatican.) However there may be some other tour companies that incorporate the SCAVI tour in what they offer. Of course you would pay more for using a tour company.

I'd keep trying. When I sent the original e-mail, it took about 2 days for an email to come across saying they received my request. Then about 1-2 weeks later I got confirmation. The only thing I can think is either they are full for the days and language you are requesting or they don't like the tone of your emails. Remember, this is an exclusive privledge to be able to tour this and I'm sure those making the decisions have full discretion to deny or ignore as they see fit. Just my 2 cents.

I called when I did not get a response after several weeks. The person who answered the phone spoke english, and told me when to expect a response. It took two weeks longer than what he told me to get a confirmation.

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and advice. I did contact my hotel (actually a B & B) and the woman said she thinks she can help and will get back to me. On the scavi website it says that third parties can't make reservations but I sent her (hotel lady) all my info (a copy of the email I sent scavi) and she said she'd call on my behalf since she's fluent in Italian.

If for some reason that route doesn't work out, I will call them myself. I recall reading previous posts that calling is difficult when the person who answers doesn't speak English well. Hopefully they will appreciate my attempts to speak a little Italian. :)

Just out of curiosity...anyone know what time of day they have English speaking tours?

Dear cathydev,

Here is the time line of my interaction with the Scavi:

2/27 I emailed them requesting tours

about an hour later I received an auto reply acknowledging my request

3/4 - They emailed me with the time for my "English speaking" tours. 2 persons at 9:30 AM and 2 persons for 11AM on Monday 4 August. (we have children under 15 and must split up) They requested payment within 30 days and explained confirmation procedure. I sent email with payment same day

3/8 - I received confirmation of my payment.

My advice is try again and be sure you give them all the information they require. Perhaps you should pick one date and ask for a time rather than giving them a range of dates and holding up all your other plans. In any event - don't give up.

Good luck,

Christal

May I ask the cost of this tour?

We have made arrangements for a private tour of the Vatican through RomeCabs, but I have never heard of the Scavi tour. I would love to add it, or go back and add for another day while we are in Rome.

Dear Sea Island Lady,

I paid 10 euro person for the Scavi tour.

:)

Thanks! I'll have to do a little reseach on this, see if any of my party is interested, and then see if we have a chance to get in. ;) Is there a website?

You can read about it at US website for the college of North American Bishops

link is: http://www.pnac.org/general/visiting_vatican.htm#scavi

You can also go to the vatican website and seach for "scavi" the link to that is toooooo long to copy & paste but the vatican website is http://www.vatican.va/phome_en.htm

The email address I used for our request was: scavi@fsp.va

Good luck!

Christal

I am wondering if the reason I haven't heard back yet is because we are a family of 6 and they don't have space. I am certainly willing to split up.

I wonder if I should start an entirely new request for 2 groups of 3 people? Or should I continue to wait. I just don't want to tick them off or confuse them.

cathydev: The English speaking tour we took May 2007 was in the early afternoon (as I recall between 1:00 and 2:00). The group we were in was small, not more than 10 people as are all the tour groups. The excavations are very confined. I e-mailed them with a specific date and had a back-up date in case. I did receive my confirming e-mail within a day or so and the tour acceptance e-mail in approximately two weeks. We were a group of four. I wish I some concrete suggestions to help you obtain a specific date and time. They may be trying to accomodate your group of six and do not have enough slots. I would contact your B&B again and see what information they have received. You may very well need to divide your group and days to accomodate everyone. I considered us lucky that we received as prompt a tour slot as we did and have often wondered if it had anything to do with our last name being Italian?

Check out Viator.com for your tour needs. They do that many, that one or more are sure to suit your needs.

I didi the three hour Vatican and Sistine Chapel tour, finishing in St Peters. It was brilliant, highly recommended. A great half tour of a truly fantastic place.

Going back in October on Norwegian Gem with the family.

Steve UK.

We got a confirm fairly quickly but we were there in November. Trust me, if you can get in, you should not miss this opportunity. It's unbelievable, spiritual and unforgetable. I really didn't think my sister would enjoy it but she said it was one of the most moving experiences she's ever had. I think they schedule English tours throughout the day.

It's frustrating to want to find out and not be able to. I have to have things all lined out before we go anywhere. Not that we stick to the plan though. I'd say it would be easier to rearrange another tour if you do hear back and get your tour. Good luck

Congrats...patience is definately required when booking a Scavi tour. Read the guidelines carefully before you go. We got there 30 minutes early but gave us plenty of time to check out where we needed to go. You will not be allowed to take any big items such as backpacks with you so you will need to leave them with the bagage counter which is at the opposite end of the entrance to the Scavi tour. Final word - dress appropriately. Enjoy the tour.

Archived