Tahiti to Moorea??

runrgrl

Is there a way to get to Moorea other than flying? I was looking at a hotel there for 2 nights precruise. Wondering if there was a ferry or something.

Otherwise I guess we'll stay at the Intercontinental in Papeete.

definitely worth it!! we have taken the ferry twice pre cruise to stay on Moorea. the ferry is inexpensive and takes about 30 minutes for the fast one and 1 hour for the slow one. you can take l truck or arrange a transfer from the ferry dock to your hotel and back.

I'm not sure it's worth it to stay in Moorea for one night. But it's definitely an idea just to ferry over there for the day, rent a car, do your thing, then come back. I'm thinking of doing that myself next December. But I'll probably just end up vegging out at the hotel in Tahiti.

I'm not sure it's worth it to stay in Moorea for one night. But it's definitely an idea just to ferry over there for the day, rent a car, do your thing, then come back. I'm thinking of doing that myself next December. But I'll probably just end up vegging out at the hotel in Tahiti.

We'd actually be there for 2 nights. I'm still thinking!

If I were to take the ferry over to Moorea for a day what is there to do or see if I am not staying at a resort. I have heard something about a juice factory. How would I get there from the ferry dock. Are there any other places of interest other than the Lagoonarium?

I have given you a link to the ferry times. I hope this works:

Thanks for the link. It works fine.

We're not going till November, but I printed it and will keep with my other papers for this cruise.

We'd actually be there for 2 nights. I'm still thinking!

Yeh, but the first night is almost certainly to be in Tahiti, because of the timing of many flights. If yours arrives in the morning, then certainly you could go straight over.

They don't fly to Moorea at night, and I'm not sure about the ferry, but in any case, if you arrive at 7 p.m., getting to Moorea would be problematic.

As for getting around Moorea, I would recommend renting a car, although I have heard about Le Truck, not sure how hard that would be.

The juice factory is also a distillery. It's nice, but really just a place to buy coconut rum and pineapple juice. Nothing special. You could drive around the island, including driving up to the Belvedere lookout (spectacular.) You could have lunch somewhere like one of the resorts, and hang out there for part of the day swimming and snorkeling. Or, you can get a tattoo! We almost did last time, but it meant staying out of the water for a few days, and I did not want to miss any water time.

Of course, you could also arrange an excursion--a snorkeling trip, or a 4x4, or bus tour.

When in Moorea, and when driving up to the Belvedere, do stop by the Agricultural School. They have fantastic jams (which you can taste before buying) BUT their ice cream is unbelievable.

We really enjoyed the soursop and coconut. Excellent.

The School is signposted, about a mile before the large Marae Titiroa on the way up the mountain. The Marae is a nice visit along with a number of hidden marae back in the woods.

Lilbrd- what did you think of Club Bali ?

Runrgrl - My wife and I loved the Bali Hai! In our opinion it is situated in the most scenic spot we saw in FP - even the other islands we visited on our cruise.

At the end of Cook's Bay with the mountains surrounding you it seems like another world. The club is situated close to rental cars, gas station, several grocery stores and lots of restaurants - most of them will pick you up at the club for dinner and drive you back afterwards. The Blue Pineapple situated on the shore at the Club is open for breakfast and lunch.

Food and service there is very good.

We enjoyed happy hour with Muk (one of the original owners of the Bali Hai chain). He is very happy to provide opinions and recommendations for just about anything. If you stay there don't miss him - 5.30 to 6.30 pm.

We enjoyed the peace and serenity of the place. We are talking about taking our son and daughter and son-in-law plus our grandkids there next year. Its a very nice place with completely equipped kitchenettes in each unit. They offer rooms, bungalows and over-the-water bungalows. In our opinion it was a bargain for what we received. Its not a new five-star hotel and not the best choice for everyone - Anyone who wants to be pampered (and overcharged) should go somewhere else.

A couple we met on the Tahitian Princess checked in there at the same time we did. After the second day they left and went to the Sheraton. They had many complaints. I guess you just can't please everyone.

We had no complaints and would go back anytime - as I said earlier on we are already planning to do so with our whole family ASAP.

BTW - we had a very spacious over-the-water bungalow which could have slept 5 people.

Archived