Help - information needed

meow!

AZjohn: Just for our consideration, if you were in our shoes and the guarentee would not be honoured, how much compensation would you demand to accept a downgrade to a concierge cabin? (Presumably, if we refuse, they should make offers to the others until someone accepts the exchange, though I don't know whether there are "fine prints" that says if a guarantee does not come through, all they are liable is the difference in price for the downgraded category. Do you happen to know?)

• 2 weeks later...
We finally got our cabin number assigned, in the category we have been guaranteed, so everything is in order now .. meow! Thank you all.

Hi Meow,

Thanks for updating us. I didn't see your previous post regarding compensation if downgraded, but it's a moot point now;) . So, are you getting excitted now? We are and can't wait until we leave next week. We are going to have a great cruise and hope you enjoy your suiet!

John

Thank you AZjohn. Now we have a cabin number, our business class ticket (albeit printed from our computer and not the IATA ticket), we booked the Renaissance Stanford in San Francisco (it will be 50% more expensive those few days than the adjacent dates because of a cardiologist convention requiring 7,500 rooms -- are there that many cardiologists?!) But everything is ready, so barring anything unforeseen, we should be on the Century by the end of next week. We are one couple of ordinary cyber cats and we will write a report after we return home and have some rest, probably by early June .. meow!

One more question: table for two

We have requested a table for two, but Celebrity says they cannot guarantee that. While we don't mind the occasional chit chat with fellow passengers, having to sit every night with others, endeavouring a perpetual smile and find polite topics to engage with others for hours is quite a chore. We cats prefer to eat our chow alone quietly if possible. We were told to quickly see the matre d' after we board. Can you frequent Celebrity cruisers kindly tell us our chances of securing a table for two? Is there any priority for "sky suite"? And how often can we eat in our cabin? Thank you.

Go and see the MD - and of course if that does not work on Night 1 you can also ask your butler to ask for you- we found re restuarants they could often do some neat persuading.

Have you also thought about having dinner served in your suite one night by the butler - maybe on the balcony? and of course there is casual dining and the speciality restaurant so if you did not get a table for 2 you could reduce the number of nights that you had to be with others quite a bit

One more question: table for two

We have requested a table for two, but Celebrity says they cannot guarantee that. While we don't mind the occasional chit chat with fellow passengers, having to sit every night with others, endeavouring a perpetual smile and find polite topics to engage with others for hours is quite a chore. We cats prefer to eat our chow alone quietly if possible. We were told to quickly see the matre d' after we board. Can you frequent Celebrity cruisers kindly tell us our chances of securing a table for two? Is there any priority for "sky suite"? And how often can we eat in our cabin? Thank you.

Meow,

The reason they can't guarantee a table for two is that there generally aren't that many of them...they try to accommodate people but it's not always possible...I've heard from some sources they might even give some preference to honeymoon couples who have requested these, but I couldn't say for sure...

Yes, get there early and go see the Maitre d' immediately...

You can eat in your cabin as often as you want though you maybe should consider tipping your Butler a bit extra for that...

Personally, I don't find even the Sky Suites that amenable to eating in the cabin---they don't have a dining table like the larger suites...The balcony may be romantic, but, again, I would find the table to low and small to be comfortable...the larger suites DO have dining tables...My brother had a Penthouse Suite on Summit and ate in his cabin 6 nights out of 7...

Personally, I dislike tables for two on cruise ships...We had one on our Panama cruise last July and hated it...I guess we're a little more social...I have noticed that folks in tables for two tend to go through dinner at a far more rapid pace without conversation and social matters slowing them down...We had a table for two next to our table for four on the Vision back in March and we noticed the folks there used to be done with dinner in about an hour...For me, I like the leisurely pace of a traditional cruise dinner seating at a large table--one of the things that sets cruising apart from the rest of life...

...but, I guess everyone is different...

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back home yesterday. Wait for a few days to get rested and over jet-lag, and we will post a report of our trip in a new thread on this Celebrity column. On the whole, our journey had been smooth and enjoyable. It was a worthwhile voyage. With the exception of one day of bad weather, which made the ship cancel tendering at Guernsey, the sea had been calm.

P.S. I am surprised that this Celebrity column shows only three topics pages unless I log-in first. Other columns on this board, e.g. Oceania and Silversea show all topic pages to all without logging in!

Archived