Formal night what a nightmare

ozcaz

Hi everyone,

We are doing some travelling before we go on our cruise with Carnival in january. As we have to keep our luggage kilos down can we get away with the following. We are packing for both freezing weather (precruise) and warmer weather ont he cruise. Thus our dilema.

On formal nights could my dh get away with dress pants,shirt and tie. (Even getting him into a tie will take some encouraging). A sports jacket or suit jacket would take up way to much room.

I have seen some beautiful formal dresses (long) which one take up alot of room and two very expensive. Could I wear a cocktail dress one night and a pant suit the other night. I always think of them as work wear.

For my 13 year old son, I havent seen dress pants anywhere. I think we may just feed him early and let him watch a movie in the cabin on his own. At least that way I will know where he is. He wouldnt be game to go wandering around the ship on his own. No playing in elevators for him!!! LOL And for me I dont think a formal night is for kids. But that is just my opinion. Doesnt worry me if other kids are there though.

What do you think?

Will be so out of place dressed like that.

Also does anyone have any idea of price to have my hair washed and blow dryed straight on board.

Many thanks.

Caz

OzCaz,

You ARE in a pickle! I understand how difficult the situation is.

You husband will not be properly dressed without a jacket, sorry. However, how about rental? Cruise ships always rent tuxedo's - even the shoes!

For yourself, how about buying a long, black skirt made up of one of the new wrinkle-free knit fabrics? Bring two different dressy blouses and you'll be set for the two evenings while taking up very little luggage space or weight.

Your son might even enjoy an even on his own with some video's and room service.

Another option is to skip formal night and enjoy dinner in the buffet with your son.

Hope this helps a little.

Jane

My favorite cruiseline is Oceania. No formal nights! (but then again, no kids either, so not an option for you unless you go without your son)

Layer your clothes pre-cruise to stay warm without bringing heavy winter clothes. This worked for us last January. Bring your DH one suit and shirt with 2 different ties. Get a little black dress and different accessories or the skirt and 2 tops for formal nights as Jane suggested.

Formal; night is when we get to eat lobster. Khakis for your son will do nicely. Its an opportunity for him. It could also be an opportunity to get some really nice family portraits of your family. (we take a picture at ever back drop- no purchase necessary- you buy what you want only)

On carnival you will see all kinds of dress. from pants suits to slinky glamourous ball gowns. My mom wears a black pant suit. She is comfortable and has a good time.

You can rent a tux for your son as well as renting one for your husband. As far as yourself you can wear silky or rayon black pants and a nice top and dress it up with jewelry. There are some really "packable" fabrics that not only take up very little room in a suitcase, but can be used for several evenings depending on how you dress them up or down.The cruise lines also rent formal clothing for women so that is another option.

It would be a shame, in my opinion, to miss this festive aspect of the cruise. You and your family may really enjoy dressing up.

Linda

You will do fine with the cocktail dress, but formal night regulations usually mean a jacket and tie are mandatory for men. Maybe he can substitute a sports coat for his cold weather jacket and add a warm sweater when you're out in the cold.

Slinkie

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone so much for all your ideas.

I had thought of hiring a tux for my husband but I have a feeling there will be no way I will be able to get him into one. He was even not at all impressed about wearing a suit. Cant teach an old dog new tricks I suppose. That why I was hoping we could get away with the shirt and tie. I may have to see about buying him a suit which here in aus would work out cheaper than hiring a tux and hope we dont go to far over in kilos. Can you hear him groaning already. LOL Only seen him in a suit or even a tie once and that was our wedding day.

As for my son what are khaki?? I will look into hiring him a tux. He would look so cute!!! He is more comfortable than his father would be in suit. Sheesh He wears a tie and blazer to school.

If all else fails I may pack one formal night dress, cross my fingers and when we get on the cruise hopefully may be able to talk the dh into hiring a tux.

I really would love the opportunity to get all dressed up. Dont have that type of opportunity here at home.

Otherwise buffet here we come!! LOL

Many thanks everyone.

Caz

Caz: I think once onboard your husband may surprise you by getting all caught up in the grand scheme of cruising. Once he sees everything he may even want to get dressed for dinner. (its not like we get dressed like that all the time. and he doesnt have to stay dressed after dinner. lots of people go back and get changed.

Hi Serene56

I am hoping you are right!! Thats why I am thinking I will take a formal dress just in case.

JanetMarie

Should I not be able to work on him we will be doing the buffet thing. LOL That will definately work for us. LOL

He is not a slob, just doesnt like getting over dressed.

Thanks so much.

Caz

You said your husband doesn't like to be over dressed. Well how does he feel about being under dressed? I think he will find that he will feel out of place.

Check out ebay for tuxes. My father got a great white tux jacket for $35 and a complete tux for $10.99 that looks new. You would be able to pick up a tux for your son real cheap tux and if he out grows it before you go on another cruise you can sell it again on on ebay.

I think you should rent him the tux.

My brother took a cruise and both he and his wife said "no way" do they want to get dressed up when on vacation. They ate in a less formal dinning area on the Legend instead.

When they returned they were both sorry they did not take something more formal and missed out on the formal dinners. They said next cruise they will bring formal clothes.

I don't think you can wait till after you are onboard to rent the tux. Most cruiselines offer this service and have the tux waiting for you when you arrive in your cabin--it's not a service you can wait to decide on once you are there. You don't have to rent it at home and carry it with you. I agree that once your husband soaks in the atmosphere once onboard he will feel more like "dressing the part." Some men (young and old) think their wives are exagerating about formal night just to get them dressed up. They have no idea that the majority of men take part (many willingly!!) by wearing a tux or a suit, but we have heard from many on this board that their husbands changed their minds once they got there and were willing to "dress up!" There have even been a few gentlmen who wrote about their own experiences in this regard! I'm sure your son will look fabulous, too!

Good luck and have fun!

Melody

I priced renting a tux from home and renting one on-board: Renting the tux on-board was less than renting the tux for at home. I wasn't very surprised about that. What I was surprised about was that renting the tux for a week on-board was less than renting the tux at home for one day.

Ozcaz, my DH isn't one for suit/tie either. While he did take a sport coat, he used a silky mock turtle neck with it (no tie), felt very comfortable and looked great as far as I'm concerned. For those that like to dress to the nines, I applaude them but for some those step ups are a bit smaller and they shouldn't be made to feel inadequate for it. We stayed dressed up long enough to enjoy dinner and have a few pictures taken, then it was back to our room to get into casual clothes and enjoy the rest of the evening. I would recommend at least one formal night if you can do it, if nothing else but the experience. It's a lot a fun but you don't have to wear a tux to enjoy it.

Hi everyone,

You really do need to check things out with the cruise line you are sailing with. Some are more strict than others. Over on the HAL board we are all being entertained by one of our members who has generously taken us along on his cruise on the Zaandam. In one of his posts he told of overhearing a conversation between the Matre'D and a gentleman who was inappropriatly dressed for Formal night. He was not wearing a jacket or tie. He was informed that he would not be served in the dining room unless he changed into minimally appropriate attire. He was told that while a tux was not required a jacket and tie were.

So, check with your cruise line. Some are enforcing the dress code.

Linda

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much once again for all the imput.

I have looked on ebay and there are some really cheap suits on there. Never thought of doing that. That way if I cant get him to wear it no big deal and if we run low on room after the cruise we can put it in one of those bins for charity if you guys have those. Some of the suits I have seen on the aussie ebay are only $30. I think those of you that have said once on board he will get into it I think you are right.

Spoke to a friend about the formal nights today and she is going to help me work on the hubbie. Us females can be very devious. LOL

Very excited going shopping for my dress this week.

We go on our cruise eary jan so I will let you know how I went.

Caz

Archived