Friends and Family "Group" Cruise... best way to book?

We're going to be booking 3 rooms, double occupancy through the RCCL website for AOS Feb 1, 09 sailing. We will then be emailing our itinerary to all of our friends and asking them to join us, if they wish.

What constitutes a group? How many staterooms? And is it possible to have everyone book separate and then call RCCL and state which reservation numbers are part of our "group"? What would be the easiest way to do this and possibly get a better deal or free cruise for so many bookings? Thanks!!

The only thing I know about a group booking is what they told me today:

8 cabins and you must go through a TA - that's what the reservation person told me.

I am sure people who have actually done this can tell you more.

We went with a group of 28 in Feb. on AOS, but about 10 or more cabins and we did get a discount. I think if 6 or 8 you do, but not less than that. I believe they can sign up anytime if they are not concerned about being "together" or cabins near each other. I talked to a TA and they can hold 6 or so cabins for 3 mos. I think and then they are released if not taken.

Donna

We had a group of 8 cabins for Mariner 1-08, could not go lower than 8. We did not go through a TA. Booked directly with RCCL. When we had 8 cabins we were transferred to the groups dept. Don't know if the procedure has changed esp as posted previously about needing a TA. You have a leader who gets the e-mailings with a secret code for calling. You have a group number and then individual booking numbers.

After the cruise got a check within several wks for one berth (amt depending on the majority type of cabins booked)cost minus taxes/port charges etc. We divided the money 8 ways after expenses were subtracted. That decision was made upfront so everyone knew. We chose with our Group Ammenities points $25.00 pp obc. It took several days on the cruise to show up on our Seapass Cards. Points awarded depends on the cruise and other variables I was told. Only so many groups allowed per cruise. It was all pay gratuities pre-cruise or none. The way they figured out payment invoices can be confusing. There were some mistakes that had to be corrected along the way. Wrong payments applied, wrong names. So just had to stay on top of all the invoices etc.

Group # was 1-800-238-0166.

Be careful though. Got many different answers from different employees in the groups dept. Sometimes did not know what was correct or incorrect.

Enjoy your cruise.

Laura

The only thing I can say is when we did our family cruise we booked through a TA -- 10 cabins -- and the only discount we got was a 50$ OBC and champagne (which we had a heck of a time straightening out on board, some got it, some didn't, but in the end all did). I asked about what is called a tour guide/director discount because someone on the board here mentioned it to me, and was told that if I were to get it, the TA would take away the $50 OBC from everyone. I think you probably would have received the 50 OBC per cabin even if you only booked one cabin through this agent.

But, $50 is $50. This year, I think, I will advise all to just book with the ship and then maybe we will transfer it all to a TA, depending.

We had a group of 8 cabins for Mariner 1-08, could not go lower than 8. We did not go through a TA. Booked directly with RCCL. When we had 8 cabins we were transferred to the groups dept. Don't know if the procedure has changed esp as posted previously about needing a TA. You have a leader who gets the e-mailings with a secret code for calling. You have a group number and then individual booking numbers.

After the cruise got a check within several wks for one berth (amt depending on the majority type of cabins booked)cost minus taxes/port charges etc. We divided the money 8 ways after expenses were subtracted. That decision was made upfront so everyone knew. We chose with our Group Ammenities points $25.00 pp obc. It took several days on the cruise to show up on our Seapass Cards. Points awarded depends on the cruise and other variables I was told. Only so many groups allowed per cruise. It was all pay gratuities pre-cruise or none. The way they figured out payment invoices can be confusing. There were some mistakes that had to be corrected along the way. Wrong payments applied, wrong names. So just had to stay on top of all the invoices etc.

Group # was 1-800-238-0166.

Be careful though. Got many different answers from different employees in the groups dept. Sometimes did not know what was correct or incorrect.

Enjoy your cruise.

Laura

Thanks for the great info -- seems like a hassle. I knew the group leader should get one berth depending on the most booked cabin -- in our situation, going through the TA -- that would have probably been about $600 -- so in the end, the TA paid for our $50 obc, and the champagne, and since we didn't get any group point amenities, either, she probably made more her commission plus off of us. Still, since I was our group leader, the hassle you have described wouldn't have been worth it to me.

We just booked a group for Alaska next year. We booked directly with RCI as individuals - 7 cabins. Initially we thought we keep it that way. But when I spoke to the TA they told me that on that sailing there are GAP points (RCI program) available. We would have gotten 7 points for our 7 cabins. The enticing part was that we could use 6 points and reduced the free berth requirement by 1 cabin. With 7 cabins we would have gotten a free berth plus the TA offered OBC in addition. So the group decided to transfer to a TA. Just before transfer another couple joint us. So we moved with 8 cabins, will get the free berth, 7 points to use and plenty of OBC. I.e. The D1 cruise-only get $225 per cabin and cruise-tour people get $400 per cabin OBC.

Since the point thingy is not that attractive we probably opt to use 6 points for $75 OBC for each cabin and the remaining point for a bottle champaign in each room.

I will distribute the free berth amongst the cabins based on what they booked. Since it is a D1 berth which was most sold those people will get the most.

I think because we decided to go as a group I will get $575 OBC, $242 cash refund and a bottle of champaign.

You do can create groups with less than 8 cabins. But it is merely a cosmetic thing to have a group ID rather than linking cabins. For that you have to go through a TA though. The TA may give you some OBC as a thank you.

The savings begin when you are 7 cabins and get GAP points. But remember not every sailing offers GAP points and if they do they are limited.

Thanks for all of the information!! I'm guessing we'll book individually, our 3 cabins, and then as soon as we get a few more, we'll transfer to a TA. I may call our local TA anyways just to get her take on it.

If I can save everyone money and get myself some free perks (free berth, OBC - anything!!) in the meantime, that is wonderful!!

We did a group cruise for my wedding in January on the Adventure of the Seas. It's kind of a huge pain in the rear!! :eek: :D Make sure that if you DO go with a Travel Agent that they are VERY experienced in booking group cruises because otherwise it can cause many headaches and confusion and incorrect information getting passed around. You get a "tour conductor" chunck of change but that's only after 8 cabins are booked. We had 12 rooms booked and I think I got $800 off my cruise. You also get group amenity points. The number of amenity points totally depends on the date of the sailing....we happened to get a very high number of amenity points so we got everyone a $75 on board credit and a bottle of wine. But RCCL didn't distribute them correctly, just like another poster said. I probably wouldn't want to be responsible for booking another group cruise if I had the choice, it just wasn't worth saving $800 for me because everyone is coming to you to complain or change things or ask questions or complain about your TA...:p ...but I suppose it would be different if you had a really good TA?!

Laura

Thanks for all of the information!! I'm guessing we'll book individually, our 3 cabins, and then as soon as we get a few more, we'll transfer to a TA. I may call our local TA anyways just to get her take on it.

If I can save everyone money and get myself some free perks (free berth, OBC - anything!!) in the meantime, that is wonderful!!

What cruise are you looking at?

EDIT: never mind, just read your first post again. Make sure that this cruise has designated group space (points) available.

No! Go through a good Travel Agent, and open group space immediately if it is available, for your 3 cabins. You do not have to have 8 cabins to be a group. Even your 3 cabins will get usually a group obc. Then you can always add more cabins to the group. The more cabins you have the more amenity points, but even two cabins can be a group. I do this all the time.

We're doing a friends and family cruise in August on Enchantment. We made our reservation with our RCI vacation planner and then told friends and family to call her to make their reservations and she will link us all together. I don't have any idea if we'll get anything for all the cabins booked -- 10 so far but don't really care. It just looked like a ton of work to do it ourselves. We never use a TA. Always book through our RCI vacation planner and have found it to be so easy.

We're doing a friends and family cruise in August on Enchantment. We made our reservation with our RCI vacation planner and then told friends and family to call her to make their reservations and she will link us all together. I don't have any idea if we'll get anything for all the cabins booked -- 10 so far but don't really care. It just looked like a ton of work to do it ourselves. We never use a TA. Always book through our RCI vacation planner and have found it to be so easy.

But does your friends and family care? I try to book all my cruises within a group, we always get between $50 and $100 obc per cabin, and sometimes a free cocktail party or a bottle of wine. Why not take advantage ot that? It does not cost you anything.

Archived