Thomson dropping Emerald in 2009

This news fits in nicely with the high probability that Louis (who owns Emerald) is in the final stages of negotiating for NCL' s Dream & Majesty...the latter is not going to be available til late 2009, thus fitting in nicely with the disposal of Emerald.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2008/04/17/27305/thomson-cruises-to-drop-emerald-ship-from-2009.html

I would not be surprised at all if Thomsons charter Majesty instead of Emerald later on in 2009. They can't say much about it yet cos the ink isn't completely on the sale contract, but it is more than just coincidence that the oldest ship in the chartered fleet is going just as one of two possible replacements would be arriving.

Thomsen management might even be breathing a sigh of relief with this opportunity to cut capacity at a time when the economic indicators point toward bad times ahead. If the Celebration is doing Greece etc I presume Spirit will be based in Britain?

Thanks for the information - I'm really interested in these recent developments with Thomson's fleet. I realise that some of it is 'putting two and two together', but is it a fact that Celebration is doing Greece next year?

The itineraries around the Greek Islands look really good and from what many of you have said about the destinations, I've been considering the Emerald for later this season/next year (might need to make a decision soon if she's not going to be there next year!) Knowing what Thomson's plans are if the Emerald is going out of service might influence my planning so any more info/up-dates would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Oops, sorry! Just read the article from Travel Weekly. I should have done this first before replying but just got carried away with the intelligence and posted a bit prematurely. I can see now that the news about Emerald and Celebration is 'official' - but would welcome any more intelligence that any of you pick up, especially any new ships joining the fleet. We're keen Thomson cruisers so all developments become relevant to our holiday planning. Thanks again.

Spoke to my TA today about the Emerald and it's retirement.

She reckons that as Thomson have branched out into the caribbean they are looking at taking on a bigger ship ~ similar in tonnage to that of OV2.(70k GRT)

She said there has been a rumour about them taking on an ex RCI ship (especially as RCI have tied up with the german arm of TUI) but also as the two old Norwegian cruise line ships are going to Louis there may be a chance that it will be one of them.

They want something larger and newer than what they have at the moment to make the most of the additional revenue.

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldn't it be nice if Thomsons operated the Dream on the Baltic route and she could continue being the largest ship to traverse the Keil Canal. She drops the navigation mast and flips her funnel and even has her own fan club that follows her down the canal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eo8hvcfCRA&feature=related

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

'A new player in the market will be TUI Cruises, a joint venture between Royal Caribbean and TUI, which will start service with one ship in 2009, transferred from Royal Caribbean, while plans call for newbuildings to be introduced starting in 2011.'

Just picked up this excerpt from Cruise Industry News Quarterly Magazine (Summer 2008) - the article was about the growth in the European cruise market. No idea how this may affect the Thomson fleet - especially in the current economic climate but it could bring some interesting developments. Anyone heard anything else?

• 4 weeks later...
Just come off the Celebrity Century and I was told they have sold Summit to TUI and another of the older ships...

She's heck of a big ship for TUI grossing just over 90.000Tonnes when you consider that Thomsons largest ship is the Destiny at 33.000Tonnes.

Here she is;

Summit01.jpg

And another photo;

Summit_080522_IvoB-01.jpg

As long as they maintain the Thomson tradition we'll all have a good time.

Edit: On closer inspection there doesn't seem to be much deck space for walking etc, what do you think ?

Destiny is 37,584.

And the winner of the Forum pedant shield is ................. :D

The Summit is still a massive step-up size wise though and if Thomsons decide to go big I really hope they don't lose the plot and try to americanise the facilities, entertainment etc.

if Thomsons decide to go big I really hope they don't lose the plot and try to americanise the facilities, entertainment etc.

I couldn't agree more. I think it is vital that Thomson recognise where they 'win out' in comparison with other cruise lines. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better - ok there may be more choices/activities on board to attract a wider client base - but the things that we obviously all appreciate about Thomson (service, atmosphere, entertainment and customer satisfaction) mustn't be lost. It's certainly what keeps us going back. :)

One of the most distasteful aspects I think is any 'class discrimination' in respect of facilities provided. I haven't got a problem with those paying a premium for a superior cabin/suite with whatever 'perks' are associated with this higher grade of accommodation (i.e provided in the suite and the service provided to the suite) - but when preferential embarkation/eating options/booking options/tender timings etc. are given to some passengers and not others it doesn't feel very fair to me. I think Thomson have it exactly right - if you pay for better accommodation, that's exactly what you get and no more. I wasn't impressed to be kept waiting for 2.5 hours to embark on an NCL cruise as others were 'fast tracked' even though they had only just arrived. Thomson runs happy ships and this includes the passengers being treated fairly and with respect - not some first class and others as second class.

Keep the ethos the same even if the ships are bigger and we'll still be happy cruisers coming back for more!

Just come off the Celebrity Century and I was told they have sold Summit to TUI and another of the older ships...

Celebrity will be transferring Galaxy not Summit to TUI. She is making a sideways move to another new line that is part owned by RCI, not sold.

The things that we obviously all appreciate about Thomson (service, atmosphere, entertainment and customer satisfaction) mustn't be lost. It's certainly what keeps us going back. :)

Exactomundo ;)

Goldryder: Have you sailed on the Costa Allegra yet ? Next year, my 60th, I want to fulfill an ambition to see Vietnam and would appreciate your comments. I've read a few reviews and for some reason I'm a bit hesitant about sailing on her.

Merv

Exactomundo ;)

Goldryder: Have you sailed on the Costa Allegra yet ? Next year, my 60th, I want to fulfill an ambition to see Vietnam and would appreciate your comments. I've read a few reviews and for some reason I'm a bit hesitant about sailing on her.

Merv

Hi Merv :)

Yep..sailed and want to go again when I can fit it in :)

Allegra is not billed as a 5 star ship but she is homely, comfortable, clean and very very friendly :)

The itinerary is to die for...a 'must do' cruise :)

Review...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=43650

Photos...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=797451

:)

Hi Merv :)

Yep..sailed and want to go again when I can fit it in :)

Allegra is not billed as a 5 star ship but she is homely, comfortable, clean and very very friendly :)

The itinerary is to die for...a 'must do' cruise :)

Review...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=43650

Photos...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=797451

:)

Many many thanks Ally, one fulfilled ambition coming up :D

Merv

Archived