Club HAL Activities

frodo63

I am really unclear as to why the wrist bands are a problem. They may also be worn on the ankle. Yes, the agent will put them on when you check-in; HAL takes this seriously. They don't have to be put on tightly. My kids didn't complain, but before we cruised they knew they were going to have to wear them or no cruise. End of story.

Our experience with Club HAL on the Zuiderdam was absolutely no moving up in groups. They are well aware of your child's age, so it doesn't matter how old they look. Tips are not going to work; it's HAL's rules and I really don't think someone is going to put their job in danger. You could move down, but not up. The Loft was usually empty and none of the organized activities were ever done, that I saw. My 13 year old had a great time anyway playing the video games, as we don't allow this much at home. He would go to the younger group when they were doing an activity he liked.

You also have an option of signing your kids up for the Culinary Arts program and they can take a cooking class (extra charge).

What is the Culinary Arts program. Is it for all ages (my kid are 4 & 8)? Do you know if it is drop off or if parents stay? What is the cost?

Thanks!!

Good to know! Moving down would be fine too. We were going to go next year when they would be able to be together but the price and timing was perfect so we bumped it up a year. Hopefully it will be fun for them for mom's mandatory cruise naptimes!:)

This is our first time on HAL. We have done 3 other lines and have never had braclets before. We wear them for the whole cruise? That's new information, thank you.

Moving down in age is no problem. No, only kids have to wear the wristbands. It identifies their muster station so crew will know where to take them in case of an emergency. Hopefully, adults will know where they are supposed to go!

What is the Culinary Arts program. Is it for all ages (my kid are 4 & 8)? Do you know if it is drop off or if parents stay? What is the cost?

Thanks!!

Information about Culinary Arts program is here:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Activities.action - click on the youth tab.

Don't know what the cost is for kids; it's $29 for adults. This was not offered on our cruise, so also don't know if it's drop off or not. If you are interested, check ASAP after boarding at the front desk, as the adult classes can fill up quickly.

I'm not going to endanger my child's life, but I'm going to find a compromise that works. If she needs to wear a T-Shirt that says 'My Muster Station is..." then so be it.

No one should ever put their child's life in danger. I would not have let my daughter remove her tag if I were not absoutely sure that she could find her muster station. She had to take me there from many different areas of the ship. Also he had the station memorized so if she became excited and forgot where the station was, she knew it. It is also clearly marked on the sea pass card.

Moving down in age is no problem. No, only kids have to wear the wristbands. It identifies their muster station so crew will know where to take them in case of an emergency. Hopefully, adults will know where they are supposed to go!

AHHH, that's it then. I haven't been on the cruiseline where the adults don't know where to go.

Whew, I was wondering how to fit a 'bejewler' in my suitcase so I could pretty it up for formal night!

• 4 months later...

Thanks very much for posting the activities. We sailed on the Noordam about 2 years ago, and are booked to sail her again in the end of October, however we all can't really remember what kind of activities were offered. I was wondering if anyone has any idea if they have planned Halloween activities onboard - i.e. is it worth me lugging costumes for the kids? If they have a party, then I'd definitely bring....

Our experience with Club HAL on the Zuiderdam was absolutely no moving up in groups. They are well aware of your child's age, so it doesn't matter how old they look. Tips are not going to work; it's HAL's rules and I really don't think someone is going to put their job in danger. You could move down, but not up.

We are going on our first cruise with my husband's family in October. My son is the only kid in the family in the tween group. Does this mean he can not go to the activities with his brother and cousins who are all 13 - 18 years old? He is 12 and will be 13 in January. Are a couple of months going to leave him by himself? :confused:

When my kids and I went last April, we found that the 13-18 y.o.'s hang out, listen to music and talk alot. The staff is usually only there for planned activities. My 12 y.o. came and went to the Loft at will, and participated in the group activities with them. The staff never questioned her age. It may depend on how many children are on board. For example, it may have been that since there was a large group of 8-12 y.o.'s the staff may have felt that one less child in their group was a blessing. Since you are going in October, it may be that there will not be a lot of children in the 8-12 group and may not be worth their while to have staff for a small group, which means they may split the kids up between the 2 other groups. I think that if your son just acts like he belongs instead of acting like and intruder, he will be alright. Remember though that the muster station band may be a give away. Even if he is not allowed to join the older group, there are enough opportunities for him to enjoy time with his brother's and cousins outside of the Club Hal setting, he may not mind. Although being separated from his family may seem like a bummer, it can work out well because he will have the opportunity to make new friends and may actually enjoy that more. I really think you shouldn't worry about it too much. Just play it by ear when you get there.

- i.e. is it worth me lugging costumes for the kids? If they have a party, then I'd definitely bring....

I LOVE to see people dressed up at dinner! Don't know about kids activities but they do have costume parties & contests for adults (or, they did when we were on the Maasdam in 2006 for Halloween) When we travel over Halloween I take an easy-to-pack costume--I love to dress up. We saw some incredibly elaborate costumes though--as I said, I loved to see it, especially if they wore the outfits to dinner:D Could you pack a couple of "accessories" for the kids that would turn regular clothing into an outfit, just in case? (that's what I do--the Maasdam trip I had a devil's horn headband, tail, and small sequined pitchfork---just wore with a red dress. On other trips I've brought cat's ears headbands and face paint--to wear with black clothing)

I LOVE to see people dressed up at dinner! Don't know about kids activities but they do have costume parties & contests for adults (or, they did when we were on the Maasdam in 2006 for Halloween) When we travel over Halloween I take an easy-to-pack costume--I love to dress up. We saw some incredibly elaborate costumes though--as I said, I loved to see it, especially if they wore the outfits to dinner:D Could you pack a couple of "accessories" for the kids that would turn regular clothing into an outfit, just in case? (that's what I do--the Maasdam trip I had a devil's horn headband, tail, and small sequined pitchfork---just wore with a red dress. On other trips I've brought cat's ears headbands and face paint--to wear with black clothing)

That's a fantastic idea. My kids both have costumes, but my husband and I would have to think something up....but now that I know there will probably be some sort of party (I think I read somewhere that there is usually a party in the Crow's Nest?) I will put more effort into the thought process!! But packing just a few accessories to turn a formal outfit into a costume is really a great idea. Thanks!!

(I think I read somewhere that there is usually a party in the Crow's Nest?)

That's where our party was. They had a costume parade and then all the guests voted on winners (applause meter). I had two red dresses packed--one for informal night (which HAL no longer does) and one for formal night--since I didn't know ahead of time what the dress code would be for Halloween. Turned out to be casual or informal--I wore the dress I packed for "informal".

2139285870084534781VkSBAL_th.jpg

Archived