Guarantee Room?

gordons4

Hi,

I'm helping my son and future daughter-in-law with a honeymoon cruise the first part of January. They will be going on the Elation to Cabo and Ensenada.

I suggested doing a 6A Guarantee (ocean view with windows--not port hole). I figured by doing the guarantee, especially on a January cruise, they might have a better chance of getting an upgrade. :rolleyes:

Am I wrong? :confused: Should they just select a cabin and be done with it?

Thanks for the help.

Sheri

As far as I'm concerned, there is no bad room on a ship. Location is not a big deal when you can walk anywhere in 5 minutes. We do guarantees a lot, and always save money doing so and have been upgraded a few times.

As far as upgrades go the Elation does not have balconys they only have a limited number of suites so i dont think he will be upgraded to one of them.....as far as moving up to a higher deck...that will depend on alot of things.....when we booked the elation last febuary I booked the room i wanted my DB moved up one floor and my DS keeped the same floor....all of us where in the catagory room we booked....so i say book the room they will be happy with if the want to move up to a higher floor, if they dont care then roll the dice.....

We've done guarantee a few times and have never been upgraded. Twice we were at the very front of the ship as far from the elevator as you could get. We could hear the anchor drop early every morning and it was quite rocky up front. :eek: Definitely not cabins we would have chosen. We now choose our own so we are midship. We've found that guarantees are probably the least favored rooms or people would have chosen them. I, personally, have never known anyone who has been upgraded but I guess some people have gotten them, that just hasn't been our experience. Good luck if you decide to go that way.

Just did our cruise and we did a guarantee-same as they are looking at 6A. We were upgraded to a 12-Penthouse Suite. Although I realize that it is not the norm (this was our first cruise), we certainly could not go wrong with the guarantee!

It's really personal preference. I prefer to book guarantees because it's cheaper and I don't care where I end up. I could sleep in the disco. :rolleyes:

But as you can see, for some people location is important. As far as upgrades, it really is hit or miss. The people who post here say they've gotten upgrades but keep in mind we are a small percentage compared to how many people are on a ship.

I'd say, go ahead and go for it if they aren't particular about where they might end up.

Thanks for all the replies--it is so appreciated.

That upgrade from 6A to penthouse must have made you guys the envy of everyone. :D I certainly know not to count on that type of luck.

I don't think my son and his future wife know where they will/won't be happy, since only my future daughter-in-law has been on a cruise, and that was years ago.

But your responses did get me thinking about the location, and the whole motion issue. I have a feeling my son will be prone to motion sickness (don't ask why--I guess it's just mother's intuition), so I may need to keep that in mind when helping them make a decision.

Hate to have him green during his entire honeymoon. :eek:

Thanks again for the help.

Sheri

Thanks for all the replies--it is so appreciated.

That upgrade from 6A to penthouse must have made you guys the envy of everyone. :D I certainly know not to count on that type of luck.

I don't think my son and his future wife know where they will/won't be happy, since only my future daughter-in-law has been on a cruise, and that was years ago.

But your responses did get me thinking about the location, and the whole motion issue. I have a feeling my son will be prone to motion sickness (don't ask why--I guess it's just mother's intuition), so I may need to keep that in mind when helping them make a decision.

Hate to have him green during his entire honeymoon. :eek:

Thanks again for the help.

Sheri

Our families sure were tickled for us-we phoned them before we left port. We didn't know our room assignment for sure until we got to port. I did a review and all the details are there if you want to check it out.

As far as the motion sickness goes, my daughter is also prone to motion sickness. I can say that we definitely had a couple of rough sea days and she (as well as myself) took Ginger Root and were amazed at the results. We took bonine with us, but did not need it. Within 15 minutes of taking the Ginger Root, there was instant relief. I didn't think that I would be prone to it, but I was. I only took it like 3 times of the whole 5 days.

Best of luck making a choice, but I highly recommed it for anyone wishing to spend time with a loved one......no matter what occassion!!!

I'd advise the guarantee.

Really, honeymooners are not going to be too picky about the room or the windows.

I agree that any cabin is good. It's just important that they are on a cruise.

How kind of you to do that for them. I assure you you will worry about the grade of cabin more than they will.

Just did our cruise and we did a guarantee-same as they are looking at 6A. We were upgraded to a 12-Penthouse Suite. Although I realize that it is not the norm (this was our first cruise), we certainly could not go wrong with the guarantee!

Just goes to show that no matter how many times you cruise, upgrades are luck of the draw. I'm about to go on #14 & have never been upgraded like that. Usual upgrades are within the same category & maybe one or two decks higher. Last two cruises I have received cabins on the Riviera deck....bottom of the ship....and I'm a Platinum member. :(

IMHO this is one area Carnival needs to improve on. Sure they want to upgrade first timers with hopes that they will cruise again but they should appreciate & reward those repeat customers that have spent thousands of dollars on many cruises.

We've done the GTY several times and have always been happy. This time we were upgraded to a Cat 12 but we sort of cheated. We booked a Suite GTY for 4 of us and the Cat 11's don't sleep 4. :)

They'll be on their honeymoon-I doubt they'll worry too much where the cabin is located.

it seems whenever I read of upgrades like these it's usually first tme cruisers. That being said I'm booked on my 10th CCL cruise for January in a GTD OV.

Bill

We've done the GTY several times and have always been happy. This time we were upgraded to a Cat 12 but we sort of cheated. We booked a Suite GTY for 4 of us and the Cat 11's don't sleep 4. :)

They'll be on their honeymoon-I doubt they'll worry too much where the cabin is located.

Oh, smooth move. I like this plan!

Archived