Athens questions

CA traveler

We are staying at the Ava Hotel on the Plaka for 3 days after our Black Sea cruise. I'm thinking we will take a day trip to Delphi and a half day to Sounion. We can then spend the day we arrive and a half day at the local Athens sites and shopping - if we can afford anything by then. I found a walking tour of Athens that looks good but do not know if we need that or not.

How does this Athens itinerary sound?

Susan

We recently did Athens and I think your plans are a little too full. There is more to see in Athens than you think and the crowds make going a little slow on places like the acropolis.

If you want to see the acropolis, the agora, the Archaelogical Museum and get a feel of the city you will need two or three days. Getting off the ship and to your hotel will take most of the morning.

We enjoyed the Plaka and walking around the shops. Be sure to see the flea market. We enjoyed meals at the Cafe Metropol in Mitropoleos square in front of the Cathedral. Casual but good. The others on the square not as good. Also try some of the ice cream near Monastiraki square. Lot of places overlooking the agora, along the metro tracks, if you walk towards the Library of Hadrian.

If this is your only time to get to Greece and you want an out of town trip I would vote for Delphi over Sounion. More to see and Sounion is overun with daytirippers. Wile the site is beautiful you see one ruined temple and that is it after a long bus ride. Delphi is a cute greek town and the runis are extensive. Good museum also.

RetiredFL-

May we pick your brain about Athens? We loved your suggestions to CA traveler, but we have a little more time and wondered what else we should see.

We've got four days in Athens (very early, next June which we hope is slightly before the season).

We're staying at the Grand Bretagne, for it's central location and fabulous rooftop pool (which, weather depending, we would love to take advantage of before or after our sightseeing).

We have so many questions,but here are two:

Can we schedule "walking and shopping" the Plaka to an after diner stroll, or, does everything close down at dusk?

Can you suggest a local guide, or, should we get someone through the concierge?

Thanks for any help!

With that much time, I really recommend getting a driver/guide for a full day and visiting Epidaurus, Mycenae, Corinth, Napflion, et al...Some really incredible archaeological sites...Last cruise through Athens, we did this as a port stop...The driver cost us 250 euros and the sites are incredible...

I'll second that notion of going over to the Peloponnese and seeing Napflion and the ancient sites nearby. Lovely. We actually had 6 days, and took a hydrofoil over to one o the nearby islands for 2 nights to recover from jetlag, then on to the peninsula and a rental

With 4 days, you probably don't have time for that, but if you wanted to relax, you could go to an island, and just soak up that wonderful Greek ambience. Some of the islands in the Saronic gulf, close to Athens, are great, and not too touristy (lots of Greek weekenders.)

We were on a Greek Island cruise with Oceania so did not do any other islands but there is an all day tour of three close in islands which we heard was good but hectic. On previous trips we liked Hydra and perhaps a hydrofoil there for the day would be nice. Lots of italian style mansions and local tavernas, etc. Very atmospheric. Good shopping.

We did not hire a guide as I had been there previously and so had my partner. We walked around on our own. You migh want to "google" Rick Steves Athens and look at his suggestions. He offers self guided tours plus links to guided tours,

It is an easy city to walk around and, with the exception of the Archological museum, every thing is close. Note however you are among ruins and there are no nice paths and railings. Wear good, non-slip shoes. We saw women in high heeled shoes trying to climb over the acropolis. Several had bad falls. Much of the Acropolis surface is polished marble and even with good shoes it is slippery and crowded. Take your time.

I agree, depending on your tastes, that trips to Corinth or Napflion would be good. Depends on how full you are of ruins. No matter how interesting, when the eyes begin to glass over and all you can think of is a glass of Ozzo under a shade tree, it isn't worth it.

As an alternative to ruins the National Gardens are a pleasant diversion.

In Athens I would suggest spending some time in the Agora and reading some of the markers. Be sure to visit the Stoa of Attalos and see the museum inside. It is small but some very interesting things such as how they chose jurors and how people were ostrasized.

We just enjoyed walking around the Plaka and watching people. The greek character is very interesting. Don't expect northern Europe efficiency.

There is a joke that the favorite saying of the Greeks to a request is 'No problem" since they do not plan on doing it anyhow. You sometimes have to remind waiters of requests, etc.

We found everyone warm and friendly and were only ripped off once in a restaurant when the wailter palmed a 20euro note and claimed I only gave him a 5. From then on we counted the money out in front of the waiters.

Athens is one place you might want to read up on as not all signs are in English although it is better since the Olympics. Rick Steves give a good background and a guide book might be a wise read. You need to understand what you are seeing.

One last thought, try greek yougurt with honey for breakfast. It is different from what we have here and should be tried once.

Grand Bretagne is outstanding. The view of the acropolis at night is stunning from their bar/dining room. The pool area is kind of small.

It's an excellent spot to walk into the Plaka from.

We were there for 5 days before our cruise. We did the following:

Day 1 - hung out in the Plaka all day, we were a bit lagged from the flight in the night before

Day 2 - half day tour of Athens (140 euros) and then in the afternoon we explored more sites on our own

Day 3 - half day trip to Cape Sounion (140 euros). Beautiful sunset

Day 4 - full day tour of Peloponnese (230 euros)

Day 5 - dropped off at the ship (25 euros)

Thanks Everyone!

Now I wish we had even more time in Athens......so much to do & see!

So, what is the verdict on the Plaka? Is it a night time thing too? I'm thinking that it must be, because everything goes late in Europe.

One final question: Should we look for a great Greek restaurant or settle for a great restaurant in Greece?

Thanks again-

We also stayed at the GB in Athens and loved it. Make sure to ask for an upgrade. We booked a Jr. suite and were upgraded to a suite that was truly amazing. The bathroom was larger than a normal bedroom.

As for tours we uses Spyros whose web site is spiorstaxitours,com. We arranged transfers and one full day of touring for a set price. When it came down to it he provided transfers and two days touring for the same price. There is nothing he won't do for you.

The group from Oceania at the GB with us (we booked on our own),were stuck in the hotel for 2 hours after their scheduled pick-up time because of a parade in front of the hotel. When we heard this we thought Spiros would also be held up, but 20 minutes before he was due to pick us up... there he was in the lobby. He apologized for parking a block away, picked up our luggage and took us to the car. He always goes that extra mile and I think you will really like him. As for the Plaka we found it to be so touristy that our quick walk through once was more than enough. We are not shoppers when we travel. Have a great trip.:)

You have me really happy that we are booked at the Grand Bretagne on our own. Contacted the conceirge and arranged for a pick up at the pier and a car to the airport on our departure...couldn't be anymore helpful. Was told that Spandi (sp) was an excellent restaurant, anyone familiar with it?

We also stayed at the GB in Athens and loved it. Make sure to ask for an upgrade

Orchestrapal,

We've snagged an Acropolis view room at the GB, so I'm not going to tamper with the rez too much at check in.

How did you like the restaurants in the hotel? We've heard good (but not great) things about GB corner and The Roof Garden....did you try them?

I seem to remember your being rather a foodie.

Should we try Spondi ( which Zagat claims has the best food in Athens), or, should we do Pil Poul et Jérôme Serres instead?

Alternatively, we not eat for a week before the trip and do both!

Thanks for any advice-

-->I'm still using your "Vista Balcony in the Kiel Canal" pic as my screensaver; none of ours came out as well ;-)

Hi Jim and Stan,

Glad you like the picture.

We loved the breakfast at the GB and had it included in our rate.

We ate one late lunch in the beautiful lobby restaurant and it was good but not great. We never ate on the roof but did have wonderful room service which I believe came from there.

Otherwise the only meal we had was in a very typical small Greek restaurant recommended by our driver. I wish I could remember the name.

It was a block or two behind the hotel and I believe they also recommend it. We tend never to go to the IN places.

We are probably the only Philadelphia Center City people who have only eaten in one Steven Starr restaurant.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.:)

Orchestrapal-

No, unfortunately, we're not in Philly. We both work in Manhattan, though, and get to Philly fairly often.

A Client of ours just flipped one of those long term business suite operations into rental apartments on Rittenhouse Square. Can't think of the buildings name right now, but they must be a neighbor of yours. Small World.

About Philly restaurants: Are we the only ones who prefer The Prime Rib to the Capitol Grille? Also, are you a Le Bec Fin fan?

We're also from Philly, living right outside now ... going on Athens-Istanbul on July 19. Spending a day in Athens before boarding the ship and looking for recommendations of taxis, etc. I'm going to check all your recommendations out -- thanks!

JIm and Stan:

Le Bec Fin just turned into another one of those more ordinary restaurants with overpriced pasta etc.

They returned all their stars and awards to become an al a carte restaurant. Unfortunately it is no longer "Le Bec Fin" as we knew it.

As for Prime Rib, we do not go out for steak but many of our friends prefer it to the many other steak house we have here.:)

Thanks Ochestrapal - found it yesterday by just putting in Athens taxitours, and in fact asked them for a quote and will probably book with them today. Thought their rate for a 1/2 day tour was very good and the proposed tour was just what we were looking for.

Archived