Alaska in June: "Must Packs"

jeana

Hi Everyone,

I am going to Alaska in the early part of June (Voyage of the Glaciers route from Vancouver to Whittier) and would like to hear from you Alaska veterans on what are musts to pack and bring along. Like to pack light, but don't want to be without a necessity and not sure what to expect in terms of weather.

Thanks!! I have learned so much from this board and your contributions!

Jeana

It's impossible to predict the weather...it could be cold (relatively) and rainy, warm and sunny...so be prepared for all weather. Pack things you can layer and easily remove. I was in New York in the second half of January; wearing my winter jacket, I was freezing. So, I suspect you already have everything you need to keep warm. Hat or headband (something to cover your ears), gloves, fleece jacket, light rainjacket (can also be used as a windbreaker)...

If you're spending any time in southcentral once you're off the cruise ship, pack a pair of shorts.

Bring your binoculars and lots of memory for your camera.

It's so hard to figure out!

We went in late May one year. When we were in Ketchikan, it was sunny and in the 50s and I remember wearing a long-sleeved cotton shirt with a fleece vest (not a whole jacket)...then we hit Juneau and I was wearing flip-flops and sweating in jeans and a long-sleeved shirt (it was the lightest clothing I had otherwise I would've worn a short-sleeved T and capri pants)...then when we hit the college fjords, I was bundled up in a bubble jacket, hat, and gloves and had those hand warmer packets stuffed into my pockets.

I would say to pack things you can wear alone or layer comfortably. I don't like packing a lot of things either. We'll be there in July this time and because of the warmer days we encountered, I will pack a pair of capris or a skirt and a pair of shorts for my husband. Those sorts of items don't take a lot of room to have on-hand. I don't know what others will say but I do think you still need a winter coat/parka of some sort...unless you have a fleece jacket that will keep you warm with layers underneath. I hate bringing my jacket because it's bulky so if I find something that will keep me warm and is lighter/smaller/easier to pack...I'm buying it!

You never know what the weather will bring. Just be prepared to

dress in layers. Also have rain gear on the cruise. You should have

rain gear that can dry fast and keep you warm.

I travel in June myself and have seen weather during the day from 40 - 70

and sometimes on the same day.

+ Lots of camera memory

+ Monocular

+ hiking shoes

Buy one of those cheap ponchos that fold up small at a sporting goods store. We got pelted by cold rain in June while in Ketchikan, and it sure came in handy. They cost like $1.50.

You can buy them in most of the stores on shore too, but you might be soaked by the time in make it in.

Buy one of those cheap ponchos that fold up small at a sporting goods store. We got pelted by cold rain in June while in Ketchikan, and it sure came in handy. They cost like $1.50.

You can buy them in most of the stores on shore too, but you might be soaked by the time in make it in.

YES! We lucked out when we were in Ketchikan by having a really beautiful sunny day. They don't see many of those in a year! Rain gear is worth bringing for sure.

We traveled last June beginning 6/2 and got very lucky. Minimal rain and fairly warm.

Layers are the answer. Under armour is great(can be gotten at sporting goods stores or on the web) light weight and warm. Also had the fleece jackets and the Gortex wind breakers and waterproof shoes. We all had the windbreakers that fold up into a pocket ~ easy to carry and change.

We are from northern Illinois and did not take our real winter coats. We figured with the Under Armour, sweaters/sweatshirts, fleece and gore tex we'd be fine and we were. We did have chilly days in College Fjord and Glacier Bay (in the 40's/50's). Many were bundled up, but for us, we were fine. Did take gloves/hats, too.

Make sure the shoes are comfortable!

I would add "WATERPROOF" shoes! Will keep your feet dry.

Also --- whatever amount of pictures you THINK you'll take, take double that amount of capacity! You really won't be putting your camera down very often!

A water/windproof jacket along the lines of Gore-tex, a fleece or sweater for under the jacket, something for your head, perhaps a pair of gloves, a pair of leather sneakers that have been sprayed with a waterproof spray and perhaps a day back pack.

People will think I am crazy.......

I packed a small table fan and was so glad. We used the fan while we were sleeping for the hallway noise on the ship, and especially on the landtour because the hotels had no air conditioning and i just needed the noise and air moving in the room.

Archived