Yikes! Airfare Shock --Norfolk VA to Rome

tcha

We are thinking about a Med cruise this summer. The cruise fares seem good but all I can find are $1600 RT fares to Rome!! (per person) Is this about right? I've searched all the regular sites for comparisons.

Have you considered DC airports or getting a cheap flight on AirTran direct to NY or Atlanta from NN and then flying to Europe? Booking seperate tickets I mean. This way you would have a bit more options such as British Airways or Virgin Atlantic etc and not be limited to US based airlines.

We are thinking about a Med cruise this summer. The cruise fares seem good but all I can find are $1600 RT fares to Rome!! (per person) Is this about right? I've searched all the regular sites for comparisons.

Seems a bit steep, are you looking at alternative depatures and a seperate connect in US. We recently booked out of LA to Venice for a tad above 1K RT.

We did Med cruises the past 2 years and flew Alitalia direct from Newark to Rome. Last fall it was around $2,100 for the two of us. They have a flight out of Norfolk and it is around $3200 and most dates are filled up for this summer. I checked Newark and the dates I put in were available and it was around $2400. I know there are all kinds of speculation about Alitalia and I had the same feeling 2 years ago. I had no beefs with the airline and we found the food the year before the best we had on our history of flying. Last year it wasn't as good.

The other comments seemed to be correct that you have to get out of Norfolk to find a cheaper price.

We flew to Barcelona in December and found the best international rates at Best Travel Store. We paid 300 pp including taxes on Luft, direct flight from IAH to Frankfurt then to Barcelona. It's worth checking out.

After looking for several weeks,we paid $1268.00 r/t, per person. This is through United/Luftansa. We very hesitant to book with an airline who was in restructuring/bankruptcy. All considered we feel we got a good deal.

tcha,

We ended up booking with a United agent directly. That's how we got the dates/times that worked for us. They were extreamly helpful!! Prior to that we searched all the online travel/air sites for several weeks and didn't really like what we were finding both time and money wise. Good luck to you.

I just looked up airfares from Washington Dulles to Rome in July. I used kayak.com and came up with Tue. July 8 to Thur. July 28 and the fare was $1114 with British Airways. Nonstop flights came up at $1382 on United. Kayak leads you to vayama.com which I believe is a consolidator website. If you purchase tickets from somewhere like this you should consider leaving 2 or 3 days early because of the severe restrictions on consolidator tickets. This price is lower then the last couple of summers when flying to Rome in July or August. You can always play with the dates and see what other fares you can come up with. Another consideration is long term parking at Dulles is $9 per day which should be taken into consideration. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. Ken...

We booked our from from JFK NY to Rome the day they opened up our travel date. $1,002 pp r/t out the door. We booked directly through Delta as they were less than the internet sites at that time. I just checked last week and the same flight is going for $300 pp more:eek:

We always books early and I guess with the fuel costs, that was a good move for us.

Hope you can find a reasonable flight.

Chesie

I live in Williamsburg and we are going the end of May to Rome we are flying on JetBlue to JKF then connecting to Aerlingus. Aerlingus had the best deal out there back in November whewn I made the reservatiuons. Iberia was the next best. I would not suggest flying into Laguardia and then having to travel to JFK not unless you have several hours between flights. I found Washington Dulles to be much more expensive.

Archived