Independence or Grand Princess

Dont know what to do, we have the option of sailing either Independence or Grand Princess Summer 09.

Sailed Navigator last year and loved it and will be sailing Independence 2008.

My hesitation with RCI is it is the exact same itinery however Grand is a bit of change.

Whats your thoughts anyone who has sailed Grand and Freedom Class??:D

I have not yet sailed Princess. But given your experience, and the fact you have Independence already booked for another trip, I suggest trying the Grand.

BTW, that was hard for me to say, being a huge fan of RC. ;)

We were on the Grand and the Liberty of the Seas. There is a big difference in the two ships. The Grand is a beautiful ship and very tastefully decorated. The staterooms are about the same size as RCI's.

Food is about the same, as well as entertainment. I think they have the Movies under the Stars on deck, but didn't when we were on it. The dining rooms on the Grand are not as spectacular looking as RCI, but are very nice. Princess has a very nice product and I wouldn't hesitate to go on another cruise with them (we're Platinum with them).

The Liberty has a WOW factor that doesn't compare IMHO. You know what the Navigator has to offer, so there's no use going through what you know about that. The Freedom class is a bit larger and has the cantilivered whirlpools, the flowrider and the H20 Zone for children that the Navigator doesn't have. (there may be more, but I can't think of them right now)

We were on the Grand and the Liberty of the Seas. There is a big difference in the two ships. The Grand is a beautiful ship and very tastefully decorated. The staterooms are about the same size as RCI's.

Food is about the same, as well as entertainment. I think they have the Movies under the Stars on deck, but didn't when we were on it. The dining rooms on the Grand are not as spectacular looking as RCI, but are very nice. Princess has a very nice product and I wouldn't hesitate to go on another cruise with them (we're Platinum with them).

The Liberty has a WOW factor that doesn't compare IMHO. You know what the Navigator has to offer, so there's no use going through what you know about that. The Freedom class is a bit larger and has the cantilivered whirlpools, the flowrider and the H20 Zone for children that the Navigator doesn't have. (there may be more, but I can't think of them right now)

Do u think the loss of the WOW factor would make me pick faults with the Grand?

Grand is beautiful. It is also difficult to get around compared to the larger RCI vessels.

Absolutely NOT one thing wrong iwth Grand, but we got off the ship thinking it is "vanilla'

Nothing stuck in our mind, but also nothing wrong.

I have been on both Grand and Navigator (but not Freedom). I liked both ships very much, and also would not hesitate to go on either. (We are on Mariner in Aug.) I feel that RC is a bit more activity oriented, and Princess may have a edge on relaxation and service. The rooms are better on the larger RC ships. Also, finally..we just loved the pool area on the back of Grand.

There you have it....easy decision isn't it?

I have sailed Grand Princess out of Galveston in 05 and didn't find it near

as nice as rccl. It was the largest cruise ship we had sailed on and found

it hard to navigate. We did anytime dining and didn't like it. One night I

wanted to bring my dessert back to my room and the waiter didn't want

to let me. I told him how rccl never had a problem with it and he he did box

it up for me, but not without an argument over it. I love rccl. I would go

with any of their ships. Just my opinion.

I think you would be happy with the Grand if you picked it. It is a very beautiful ship and as long as you went in with an open mind and didn't try to compare every little thing, you'd have a wonderful cruise!

Just a thought!:) Since you will have already done Independance, do you have to sail from Southampton? We found that we preferred the itineraries on the ships sailing from Europe (going on Brilliance from Barcelona in August). There are no "Bay of Biscay" risks and you can probably get low cost flights.

Dont know what to do, we have the option of sailing either Independence or Grand Princess Summer 09.

Sailed Navigator last year and loved it and will be sailing Independence 2008.

My hesitation with RCI is it is the exact same itinery however Grand is a bit of change.

Whats your thoughts anyone who has sailed Grand and Freedom Class??:D

Hands down, Freedom Class is the winner. Have sailed on the Grand and found it quite compartmentaly arranged. Our first cruise was on the old Holland America Roderdam (with no stablizers and did I get sick). We have sailed on 3 NCL, 1 Disney Wonder, and 14 RCI. When we think of going on another cruise line we really have second thoughts but would do it if the itinerary was what we wanted. Again the movie outside by the pool is very attractive. Do not like free style cruising, we find they tend to put the food we like in the pay resturants. Rack of Lamb, teramisu, etc.

But again any cruise line cruise is better than none. Try them all, we are trying them.

Happy Sailing!

Archived