buying coke in Barcelona

No just curious >> I have 2 kids who drink cokes and I was going to get them before boarding >> The soda cards are a little ridiculous for the amount of soda they drink. My wife and I will be just fine on the iced tea !!! Also I don't want to lug extra baggage on the flights over to Europe.

No just curious >> I have 2 kids who drink cokes and I was going to get them before boarding >> The soda cards are a little ridiculous for the amount of soda they drink. My wife and I will be just fine on the iced tea !!! Also I don't want to lug extra baggage on the flights over to Europe.

I don't recall seeing 12-pks anywhere but individual 16 oz bottles were running about €1.50 at small grocery stores.

And just in case anyone is a Diet Coke fan, it is actually called "Coca Cola Light" in most countries in Europe (at least in Spain, Italy, Portugal, and France). It also doesn't taste like the US version.... it's not bad, just different.

When I sailed from Barcelona 2 years ago with Celebrity there was a store on the pier right by the check in selling drinks, including coke, at reasonable prices. Sorry cant remember the price but I bought some six packs of coke tins and took on the ship.

I do not mean to be rude, but are you saying that they do drink alot or they do not? If they do not , then you can just buy individual cans on the ship. If they do, I do not think that the cost of the card, in comparison to the overall amount that you are likely spending (or saving by buying cans) is significant. If you are going in the summer, it will be very hot and you will likely find that the kids will drink quite a bit, especially the days at sea. You did not say how old your kids were, but if they will be doing things on teh ship without you, they will appreciate being able to get something to drink when thay are thirsty, without having to run back to the room or coming to look for you.

Doesn't it depend where they are going to get their caffeine fix? I believe just like where you drink from that bottle of wine (in your cabin vs at your table) -- can you bring bottles of coke with you to drink at a meal?

Very useful to have a discussion with your kids (how old?) about the options and what they will mean. Must agree with others. If they are going to be out and about by themselves on the ship, having the drink card around their necks will assure you that they will not be thirsty! If they normally drink milk with meals, its another thing. The drink card or another equally priced gift to bring home? Another question. I'm a diet soda fanatic at home -- but like you, when we go on a cruise, I'm 100% coffee and fruit for breakfast and 100% iced tea for lunch/dinner (with maybe a small bottle of local wine in the cabin, maybe).

Perhaps you should check the drink card price? I know all sorts of teenage boys who, if given the choice between a week of coke or a tee shirt from a famous European soccer team to wear at school next year, would pick the shirt every time.

My best,

David

Drink cards generally run between $4-5 per day. So if you are on a 10 day or 12 day cruise, will the $60 per child really make that much of a difference in your overall budget for the holiday. It is a vacation, relax and enjoy and give your kids a treat and don't sweat the small stuff. Besides, they will like the freedom of being able to go to any of the bars and oreder a soda/soft drink for themselves.

Hi Marlin1518

We were in Barcelona last year and although I dont remember the exact cost I was able to buy Pepsi at a food store/market on the upper end of Ramblas, its much like a mini grocery store. I don't think it was that much. I also bought some bottles of water, a can of pringles chips and chocolate there to have stashed in our cabin for late night sugar and salt fix.:D

We took 12 cans each on board - we bought them at the supermarket near the Catalunya end of Las Ramblas I seem to remember they worked out at around US 50-60 cents a can

Maybe it is me and I am having a bad day, but I still do not get it. To put things in perspective, you saved about $1 per can compared to buying it on the ship, for a total savings , as a couple , of $24 on a vacation trip that costs thousands of dollars. I fail to see how it is worth the fuss.

Costco here in California sell the Glass Bottle Mexican Coke made with real sugar. Tastes much better, but has local bottlers up in arms.

Jim

Now I understand why I enjoy having a Coke in Mexico so much more than having one here in the states!! High fructose corn syrup should be outlawed!

Mary

Maybe it is me and I am having a bad day, but I still do not get it. To put things in perspective, you saved about $1 per can compared to buying it on the ship, for a total savings , as a couple , of $24 on a vacation trip that costs thousands of dollars. I fail to see how it is worth the fuss.

JB,

If one was to buy a case of coke(24 cans) at a cost of $12.00 and bring it with them, as opposed to paying $108.90 for 2 soda cards. First off that is a savings of $96.90 not $24.00 as you wrote. Furthermore for $96.90 I could buy 8 more cases for that price. Also for $96.90 I could go on an additional shore excursion for that price !! Bottom line << we do not drink the amount of soda to make the card worth the price they charge,, However I do see your point << what's an extra 100 bucks when you have already spent $10,000 dollars on the trip !!!

JB,

If one was to buy a case of coke(24 cans) at a cost of $12.00 and bring it with them, as opposed to paying $108.90 for 2 soda cards. First off that is a savings of $96.90 not $24.00 as you wrote. Furthermore for $96.90 I could buy 8 more cases for that price. Also for $96.90 I could go on an additional shore excursion for that price !! Bottom line << we do not drink the amount of soda to make the card worth the price they charge,, However I do see your point << what's an extra 100 bucks when you have already spent $10,000 dollars on the trip !!!

My point in this case was that if you do not drink alot of coke, the cruise line charges only $1.50 per can, without the drink card, compared to the 50 cents on shore. That is where I got the $24 from.The drink card only makes sense if you have 4 or more drinks per day. Otherwise it pays to just pay as you drink.Enjoy your trip. When we went with our kids it was a very special time.

BTW if you are a family of 4 , if you have not already done so , you can look for some private tours. The cost is about the same as the ship excursions (maybe a bit more), but you have much more flexibility. Do not know how old your kids are but ours got bored at some places, like other places better and liked to stop for gellato several times a day. We have done several med cruises, with and without kids. If you want some info, leave a message about how I can get in touch with you.

Archived