Does RCCL add gratuities to your SeaPass

Does RCCL add gratuities to your SeaPass automatically or do they still give you the option of paying with cash at the end of the cruise?

Thanks.

They still offer the option. They will deliver a form to your stateroom and if you want to add it to your Seapass, you just fill it out and drop it off.

The standard on RCCL is to tip in cash. You can opt to prepay OR add them to your Seapass account once you are onboard the ship.

There are a few exceptions. The main one is if you opt for My Time Dining. In that case you do not have an option, you have to add your tips to your Seapass account.

From the Carnival thread:

I am a frequent cruiser on RCCL. I do not choose to pre-pay tips. I throw away the vouchers, I do not inform the Purser's office [or anyone else] how I want tips handled. The tips ALWAYS are AUTOMATICALLY ADDED to my account. I have no problem with that. When warranted, I tip extra in cash to the individual server. Now had I ever wished to select one of their options, that's how it would have happened. But that's the same on Carnival, the same options are there without the vouchers. But you could ask for envelopes for everyone on Carnival if you wished. Don't know why you're trying to make some point about RCCL doing tipping different than Carnival. They both do it essentially the same and that's fine.

Dan

When I walk on a Carnival ship the tips are already on my account. When I walk on a RCCL ship the tips are not on my account. I have the choice to add them. On Carnival if I wanted to pay in cash I had to ask them to remove them from my account and give me envelopes. I don't have to do that on RCCL. That's the difference.

When I walk on a Carnival ship the tips are already on my account. When I walk on a RCCL ship the tips are not on my account. I have the choice to add them. On Carnival if I wanted to pay in cash I had to ask them to remove them from my account and give me envelopes. I don't have to do that on RCCL. That's the difference.

Exactly, and to me that is a big difference. Unless I select MyTime dining, my tips will be added to my Sea Pass account ONLY IF I CHOOSE TO HAVE THEM DO SO. I usually find it more convenient to have them added and I frequently add cash to the vouchers and envelopes for those employees whose performance merits additional recognition.:)

Exactly, and to me that is a big difference. Unless I select MyTime dining, my tips will be added to my Sea Pass account ONLY IF I CHOOSE TO HAVE THEM DO SO. I usually find it more convenient to have them added and I frequently add cash to the vouchers and envelopes for those employees whose performance merits additional recognition.:)

I guess you did not read my post. Or are you saying that if you do nothing about tips at any time on the cruise that NO TIPS will be added to your account? If that is what you're saying or thinking, it is incorrect.

If you do not make the arrangement, they will add the tips, automatically. And the concern about tips being added first day or last day is just tip paranoia. They are not sent to your credit card co. nor paid to the crew, until after the cruise in either case. So regardless when they show on your Seapass, you don't pay them until you receive your credit card bill.

Much ado about nothing at all.

Dan

I guess you did not read my post. Or are you saying that if you do nothing about tips at any time on the cruise that NO TIPS will be added to your account? If that is what you're saying or thinking, it is incorrect.

If you do not make the arrangement, they will add the tips, automatically. And the concern about tips being added first day or last day is just tip paranoia. They are not sent to your credit card co. nor paid to the crew, until after the cruise in either case. So regardless when they show on your Seapass, you don't pay them until you receive your credit card bill.

Much ado about nothing at all.

Dan

Wrong again. RCCL does not add tips to your account no matter how many times you try to tell anyone without your permission. You don't know what you are talking about. This is not Carnival.

Wrong again. RCCL does not add tips to your account no matter how many times you try to tell anyone without your permission. You don't know what you are talking about. This is not Carnival.

I'm speaking from personal experience not fantasy. You are 100% wrong.

Dan

Dan

Actually I had this experience too. On my first cruise they were added to my seapass account and we were told if we wanted to do it in cash, then we had to go to the pursers desk before a certain time on a certain night to have them take it off our account and then we could put cash in envelopes that would be in our stateroom.

On Serenade last year, however, this was not the case. We had the option from the beginning. So, I know it has happened both ways.

I've always filled out the form and handed it in so I cannot address whether they would have automatically been added or not. The only "down" side is it is "all or none." The maitre'd/table captain gets a cut whether you lay eyes on him all week or not. You can't do any "adjustments"--more to this person, less to another.

To me, the convenience of not having to hassle with taking a lot of cash is worth not having the freedom of adjustment We always tipped the "recommended" amount anyway plus some. For my room steward, I leave a couple of bucks a day with a note thanking him/her for whatever nice thing they have done the day before like keeping my cooler full of ice, the cute towel animal, or just plain keeping my cabin neat. I leave the "form" on the table for a day or two before turning it in so he/she will know that the dollars are in addition to what they will get in the pool since I have heard they have to turn their cash tips into the pool if they are not put on the account.

At the end, we slip extra money into the voucher envelope for the wait staff.

tucker in texas

Q: What are gratuity guidelines for cruises?s.gifA: So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant:$5.75 USDa day per guestStateroom attendant:$3.50 USDa day per guestDining Room Waiter:$3.50 USDa day per guestAssistant Waiter:$2.00 USDa day per guestHeadwaiter:$.75 USDa day per guestNote: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifPre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.con_bulletgray_ico.gifAdded to your onboard SeaPass account.con_bulletgray_ico.gifPaid in cash at the end of the cruise

We have never had tips added to our Seapass automatically.

Dan

If they were on your seapass account when you boarded then either your or your Travel agent checked the option to prepay when booking. Rccl DOES also offer that option. In all the RCL cruises I have been on my tips have NEVER been on my seapass when boarding...to quote you..."personal experience not fantasy... when I sailed Carnival Glory in 2003 we had to go to the pursers desk to remove the tips as they WERE automatically added.

From the Carnival thread:

I am a frequent cruiser on RCCL. I do not choose to pre-pay tips. I throw away the vouchers, I do not inform the Purser's office [or anyone else] how I want tips handled. The tips ALWAYS are AUTOMATICALLY ADDED to my account. I have no problem with that. When warranted, I tip extra in cash to the individual server. Now had I ever wished to select one of their options, that's how it would have happened. But that's the same on Carnival, the same options are there without the vouchers. But you could ask for envelopes for everyone on Carnival if you wished. Don't know why you're trying to make some point about RCCL doing tipping different than Carnival. They both do it essentially the same and that's fine.

Dan

Wow Dan!

I think they were just asking a simple question, which IS the main point of this site I thought.

Is is really a matter of personal choice.

We do the automatic and then give extra where extra is due, but have never stiffed anyone on board in 16 Cruises. But again, it is a personal choice plain and simple.

If they were on your seapass account when you boarded then either your or your Travel agent checked the option to prepay when booking. Rccl DOES also offer that option. In all the RCL cruises I have been on my tips have NEVER been on my seapass when boarding...to quote you..."personal experience not fantasy... when I sailed Carnival Glory in 2003 we had to go to the pursers desk to remove the tips as they WERE automatically added.

My tips on RCCL show up on my Seapass account each day without any arrangement by me OR anyone else. Not all on the first day like on Carnival [AND SO WHAT that Carnival does this, if you are going to tip, what difference does it make when a dummy billing shows on your account?] but I do am not bothered by the all at once method or the daily method. I'm going to pay them anyway, makes no difference. But eveidently all you people overly paranoid about tips, think that RCCL does this daily automatic tip adding to my account only. OK, don't know why they do it that way but its OK by me.

It amazes me tho, that ALL PASSENGERS on RCCL that do not add tips to their account or do the vouchers or do not KNOW to tip in cash,,,,STIFF all servers. They may not mean to, but according to all you tip examiners, that is what must happen with no auto system in place. Glad I'm unique and they just add it to my account so I don't have to be concerned about it. So You may all say you're right and I'm wrong, enjoy.

Dan

Wow Dan!

I think they were just asking a simple question, which IS the main point of this site I thought.

Only a seemingly simple question, you came into the middle,its carried over from another thread.

Dan

Hi Dan!:) Dont really want to get into a battle,but RCCL does not automatically add the tips on........question for you..do you use a TA or book directly?? Im just wondering why your tips are automatically added???:confused:

Dan

Well, I sure am glad we got that issue cleared up.

I can only speak from experience here but on our last RCCL cruise on the Monarch they automatically added our tips to our card. We did not go to the pursers desk nor did we do any vouchers.

It was the exactly the same as Carnival and Princess..........

Archived