Not really a question...Cruise Jargon

CFitzRN

The use of messaging on phones, spell check, etc. has really snowballed our spelling, grammer, etc. The English language can be tough enough. Did anyone see the segment on the Today show a few weeks back of three people going around and correcting store signs, etc.? The same topic as here.

Did I make a mistake? LOL

Well, since you asked, it's "grammar" :p :)

Oh MAN! I was just watching VH1's "best songs of the 80s" and they kept misusing the apostrophe in "its" - as in "The 80s and it's best songs" - I would read that as "The 80s and it is best songs" - argh! It's torment! TORMENT!

I'm just being silly, really. :p

The problem is that once you become aware of things like this - you start spotting it everywhere! I really don't mind so much when people are posting and maybe in a hurry but it drives me mad when it's in newspapers, TV or other official publications where they should no better

The problem is that once you become aware of things like this - you start spotting it everywhere! I really don't mind so much when people are posting and maybe in a hurry but it drives me mad when it's in newspapers, TV or other official publications where they should no better

"No better" - Did you do that on purpose just to torment me? Hahahahaha!! Just kiddin :D

Great thread. My personal favourite has not appeared yet, maybe it's a UK English one. It's primarily a spoken one, but I've also seen it in written form.

"could of" rather than "could've", or any of the other versions of the 've contraction.

grrrrrrrr!

Great thread. My personal favourite has not appeared yet, maybe it's a UK English one. It's primarily a spoken one, but I've also seen it in written form.

"could of" rather than "could've", or any of the other versions of the 've contraction.

grrrrrrrr!

Every single time someone posts something else (like this) I say "YES! Why didn't I think of that one!?" Hahaha - good one.

I like this thread!

One that drives me crazy is "I seen that movie" - argh! "I saw that movie"!

OH! That's mine too. I always tell my DH that you can not say "seen" unless you say "have"!

Misspelled words stand out of print like a sore thumb to me. I can not believe some of the errors I find in newspapers, magazines, and books!

To the ones who have been posting that this is a case of PMS, I have this little sign at my desk:

"It's not PMS, it's Y-O-U"!!!! :D

OH! That's mine too. I always tell my DH that you can not say "seen" unless you say "have"!

Misspelled words stand out of print like a sore thumb to me. I can not believe some of the errors I find in newspapers, magazines, and books!

To the ones who have been posting that this is a case of PMS, I have this little sign at my desk:

"It's not PMS, it's Y-O-U"!!!! :D

HAHA! It IS true that certain people seem to bring out the PMS in me, regardless (not IRREGARDLESS!) of the time of month. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen that commercial with the dad who knocks on car windows looking for his daughter who didn't call home!? It's a Verizon commercial I think...in any case, the dad says "Come Monday, you're gonna be the girl with the father no one wants to date!" Why would anyone want to date your father anyway!!!?? I hate this commercail so much, it makes me crazy!

Katie

grrrrrrrr!

Big problem here in the southern US too. ("He should of been here...)

Or "Myself and my DW" or "My DW and myself".... most times when "myself" is used, it is used incorrectly. I just want to shake them and say, "Would you say 'Myself is going to the store'?? NO - you would say 'I am going to the store'!!!"

I teach my future teachers to teach it this way: If ME or I makes sense in the sentence, do not use MYSELF. Works well and no memorization of rules necessary.

Ex: Correct: Give those to Jerry and me (not myself)

Correct: Sara, Ruth, and I will go (not myself)

Correct: I did it myself (because "I did it me" would not make sense)

Dang, Y'all aint a word?? :eek: ;) I'm crushed.

This Southern girl is proud to say that y'all is a word, according to the latest online edition of the Merriam Webster dictionary.:)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/you-all

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/y'all

The only notation is that it is "chiefly southern".

AND for those non-southerners out there, Y'all is plural - it is NOT used to refer to one person (surefire way to spot a fake southern accent).

I'm "definitely" glad you brought this one up. Guilty as charged.:o Tried typing it with an A and it didn't look right, typed with an I and it still didn't look right, went back to using the A. Why would I check a dictionary when I know eventually the answer will show up here on Cruise Critic.:D

So many spell it as definatly" - spell check reverses the "a" and the "n" so that it comes out "defiantly" in students' essays. They should "defiantly" proofread!

OMG--I love this! I often feel that I am the only person in the world who is a spelling/grammar freak. I change spelling mistakes on supermarket signs. Recently in a favorite restaurant on the chalkboard menu I finger-erased the e from the word potato. When we left, I noticed it had been changed on a printed sign, too. That's what teachers are for! :D

My mom was a stickler for grammar and spelling. Fortunately (it was so good to see someone spell it correctly for a change) I also had good teachers.

My second grade teacher, Sister Patricia drilled into us theater--THE-ater, not the-ATER. If anyone said it wrong, she would ask,"Who ate her?"

Misplaced onlys are another pet peeve."I only have $5", instead of the correct--"I have only $5."

Almost the only people I know who use lie and lay correctly are my kids and a couple of friends.

I have to really bite my tongue to keep from correcting people. A cruise friend, who sat next to me at dinner in Jan., said "irregardless" all the time. My tongue was almost bloody! :eek:

And then there's "complected' instead of complexioned, "enthused" instead of enthusiastic, not to mention the Brits and Aussies with "alu MIN i um" instead of aLU min um.

AmoMondo--I agree, it's much worse when professionally printed publications and signs are incorrect. I see the word Chedder on Arby's and other fast food places all the time. AAARRGGHH!

So many announcers mispronounce words and make grammar mistakes.

twingles--That commercial drives me crazy, too.

I hate the common practice of using they or them instead of him/her. A prominent realty company used to say, "Ask your agent if they're a Realtor". I think someone must've noticed it because it now says,"Ask if your agent is a Realtor." And that's another word commonly mispronounced-- "real a tor". :eek: :eek: There's no a in the middle!!!

Our Super Walmart opened 2 yrs ago and I noticed the word Stationery was spelled Stationary. I pointed it out, but it hasn't been changed. Another teacher gave us this to remember--paper ends in er.

I diagram sentences in my head. Does anyone else do this? It's the easiest way to know what the subject of the sentence is. That way you won't use the object of a prepostion as the subject.

Prepositions take object pronouns only. "He gave it to Tom and I". He gave it to I????? ME!!!

OK, enough venting. Time to go out to dinner for Mother's Day. Thanks for this thread. It was positively cathartic. We need to stick together as a support group. :D

My pet peeves in store signs and advertising:

"10 items or less" (FEWER)

"Save 50% off " (either "Save 50%" or "50% Off" - to save 50% off means you do NOT have 50% off)

And the ubiquitous:

"Free gift" (What other kind is there?)

I'm fixin to get ready to jump onto this hear thread.

Now that I have your attention. I haven't read every post so if this has been mentioned before, I apologize.

When my son was in high school he constantly said "I seen". I gave up correcting him after I asked if his teacher said "I seen", too and he said "yes".

My wife and I read the paper and tell each other about the spelling, grammer and context errors we find.

I've really enjoyed this thread. I'm glad to see there are still folks around who are driven nuts by bad grammer.

I'm glad to see there are still folks around who are driven nuts by bad grammer.

Bad spelling's even worse! KIDDING!! :p Thanks for your contribution to our thread - all of you. This is honestly my favorite thread on this forum.

Archived