Not really a question...Cruise Jargon

CFitzRN

It irks me when possessive apostrophes and contractions are not used. It's, DH's, DW's, etc. Oh, and the use of don't instead of doesn't.

I used to work in a call center in customer service answering emails from our company's website. Yes, those emails are answered by humans, they're not answered by computers. But, we were randomly graded on our emails and got big deductions for grammar and spelling. :eek: So, it's mostly a habit now.

If you guys love this so much, you would LOVE www dot foundmagazine dot com. It's a daily find (piece of paper, picture, note, etc) that people find. They're all riddled with grammatical (I did google that to make sure I spelled it correctly) errors and hilarious to read, especially the comments.

Jen

Hey, I readily admit that I have no life at the moment. I am reveling in the fact that I don't have to DO anything right now. I've been in nursing school for the past two years, I graduate in a week, and right now I have nothing to study, me, haha! :D

Congrats on the graduation.:D

I do think there is a difference in intentionally spelling words incorrectly (as in 'soooo') and when one just doesn't know. Or, maybe it could be that they do not care. Sooooooo there!! Know what I mean, Vern???

Cudja be a little more pacific.

I do think there is a difference in intentionally spelling words incorrectly (as in 'soooo') and when one just doesn't know. Or, maybe it could be that they do not care. Sooooooo there!! Know what I mean, Vern???

Cudja be a little more pacific.

Hahaha - "knowwhutImean, Vern?" A blast from the past!

It irks me when possessive apostrophes and contractions are not used. It's, DH's, DW's, etc. Oh, and the use of don't instead of doesn't.

If you guys love this so much, you would LOVE www dot foundmagazine dot com. It's a daily find (piece of paper, picture, note, etc) that people find. They're all riddled with grammatical (I did google that to make sure I spelled it correctly) errors and hilarious to read, especially the comments.

Jen

Have you on the other side of the pond heard of a book "Eats, shoots and leaves" by Lynne Truss, which was a Christmas best seller a year or two back in the UK? It is a funny volume concerning punctuation and correct grammatical use. On another message board I frequent (on Heritage Steam Railways, if anybody's interested), the more blatant of these "errors" is often followed by a nomination for a Lynne Truss Award (LTA).

(If anyone wants to know why the book was called what it is, I'll follow up with a reply).

Hope I haven't contributed any possible LTAs myself in this post?

This is way too much fun for me. I think I might need a life. (I'm off school today so I am enjoying doing nothing)

"Went to there cabin" - THEIR

"Their is too much smoke" - THERE

"There really fun people" - THEY'RE

Somebody stop me!

"Your welcome" - YOU'RE

There, their and they're drives me CRAZY!! Contractions are NOT that difficult to master!

I could say all of you must not have much to do if you spend time making up all of these things, :D

But who is making them up? hahaha ... I'm not only reading them, I've already bookmarked this thread (until it's pulled, of course ... or is it coarse?):D

"sooo" is not a word. It's spelled "so" ;)

No, you don't understand! To survive nursing school is such an amazing thing. The entire experience is different than most other educational undertakings. CFRITZ I am soooooo happy for you! Congratulations and welcome to the ranks!:D

CFRITZ.... Congratulations on your completing nursing school.

Bless the Nurses. Where would the rest of us be without you all. ...all of you? Can we make that y'all?

(I'm not even a Southerner. :)

Have you on the other side of the pond heard of a book "Eats, shoots and leaves" by Lynne Truss, which was a Christmas best seller a year or two back in the UK? It is a funny volume concerning punctuation and correct grammatical use. On another message board I frequent (on Heritage Steam Railways, if anybody's interested), the more blatant of these "errors" is often followed by a nomination for a Lynne Truss Award (LTA).

(If anyone wants to know why the book was called what it is, I'll follow up with a reply).

Hope I haven't contributed any possible LTAs myself in this post?

Absolutely!! My husband just told me a few days ago that he wants to get that book for me. It's very clever! How is the weather in England this fine day? In Western NC it is sunny and verrrry warm - I'm lovin it.

No, you don't understand! To survive nursing school is such an amazing thing. The entire experience is different than most other educational undertakings. CFRITZ I am soooooo happy for you! Congratulations and welcome to the ranks!:D

Why, thank you so much! What kind of nursing do you do, and for how long?

CFRITZ.... Congratulations on your completing nursing school.

Bless the Nurses. Where would the rest of us be without you all. ...all of you? Can we make that y'all?

(I'm not even a Southerner. :)

Thanks for the blessings - we'll take 'em! I'm not a southerner either, although I do live in the south. The only southernisms I've picked up since living here are the occasional "y'all" and I say the word "oil" more like "ole". It horrifies my family, who all live in AZ. :p

Why, thank you so much! What kind of nursing do you do, and for how long?

I have been a nurse for 31 years. Five of those were in adult critical care and the last years have been in neonatal intensive care. I work in a level III unit, and love it!

alwayshappy - YES, "irregardless" is one that bugs my husband too, LOL.

Misty, that is some heavy work you do there. I cried twice during nursing school clinicals - once when my very jerky (male) clinical instructor wouldn't let me figure out a med calc with my calculator, he put me on the spot in front of the nurse's station and kept pounding me, and I freaked; and the day I did my critical care rotation. (I cried later, at home). That was rough. I bow to you - you are a special kind of nurse.

I have been a stickler for proper grammar for years. It is only fitting that my oldest daughter became an English teacher. For us, the incorrect use of less/fewer is the one that sounds like fingernails down a blackboard.

It should be "less milk and fewer glasses of milk". Quite a few of our local newcasters do this incorrectly, along with the new campaign for the vaccine for teenage girls which states "One less". If you can count it, you should say fewer. I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for "listening".

ok, I am PMSing as well, "used to" refers to something that was not the "two of you" sense, scents, and cents are not interchangeable, and there is no such word as sence or scence or scense, and finally it never was and never will be "orientated"--it's oriented! Ah, that feels so much better! And I am also subscribing to this list--hopefully it won't get pulled! Proper English rocks!

Katie

alwayshappy - YES, "irregardless" is one that bugs my husband too, LOL.

Misty, that is some heavy work you do there. I cried twice during nursing school clinicals - once when my very jerky (male) clinical instructor wouldn't let me figure out a med calc with my calculator, he put me on the spot in front of the nurse's station and kept pounding me, and I freaked; and the day I did my critical care rotation. (I cried later, at home). That was rough. I bow to you - you are a special kind of nurse.

I would like to say a big "Thank you" to all the nurses out there. I had back surgery 3/3/08 and 3 hosiptal stays since then. I am doing great now. The nurses I had during each stay were amazing and made a very scary time bearable. I was in a lot of pain and scared but each one of them took the time to make me feel comfortable and cared for. If I made any error in this posting sorry :( just wanted to say thanks :D

Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one! hahaha

It is "DEFINITELY", not "definately"

It is "on BOARD" not "on bored" (haha!)

I will definitely have more to add... and yes, I am totally pms'ing today, so I apologize in advance. :p

I'm "definitely" glad you brought this one up. Guilty as charged.:o Tried typing it with an A and it didn't look right, typed with an I and it still didn't look right, went back to using the A. Why would I check a dictionary when I know eventually the answer will show up here on Cruise Critic.:D

I would like to say a big "Thank you" to all the nurses out there. I had back surgery 3/3/08 and 3 hosiptal stays since then. I am doing great now. The nurses I had during each stay were amazing and made a very scary time bearable. I was in a lot of pain and scared but each one of them took the time to make me feel comfortable and cared for. If I made any error in this posting sorry :( just wanted to say thanks :D

Hey, as long as you are complimenting us, you can mess up whatever you want. :p

Archived