Not really a question...Cruise Jargon

CFitzRN

The One That Gets Me Is Capitalizing Every Word Of Sentences Never Punctuating And Typing A Whole Novel To Boot

I never know where the sentences start or end, and it's also very hard for me to read.

OMG--I love this!

not to mention the Brits and Aussies with "alu MIN i um" instead of aLU min um.

I love this too, but one has to bear in mind that there are accepted differences between the spelling of certain words in (the original) English and American English - favourite/favorite, theatre/theater to quote two you used. Most lead to the same pronunciation, but "alu MIN ium" should be so pronounced over here, 'cos that's how it's spelled over here. Might be interesting to see if anybody has other examples of where the change (usually simplification) in spelling has actually led to a different pronunciation.

Keep up the good thread, folks.:)

I am enjoying the heck out of this thread ... because spelling & grammar mistakes make me nuts. I guess it's a good thing we're not supposed to offer corrections or that's all some of us would do!

BUT

I just reread the original post, and I don't think the OP was really talking about GRAMMAR, she (he?) was talking about cruise JARGON, or SLANG ...

... "mustard drill" or references to the Lido Deck on ships that do not have anything labeled "Lido" ...

When I first started on this board, I thought it was nice that so many cruisers liked to talk about music - "Where is your favorite CD" or "List of CDs on board"

I never opened them because I wasn't looking for info on music (although I did wonder if there was a music library somewhere on board), and it took forever before I figured out that CD referred to CRUISE DIRECTOR ...

I'm sure there are many other examples!!

I am enjoying the heck out of this thread ... because spelling & grammar mistakes make me nuts. I guess it's a good thing we're not supposed to offer corrections or that's all some of us would do!

BUT

I just reread the original post, and I don't think the OP was really talking about GRAMMAR, she (he?) was talking about cruise JARGON, or SLANG ...

... "mustard drill" or references to the Lido Deck on ships that do not have anything labeled "Lido" ...

When I first started on this board, I thought it was nice that so many cruisers liked to talk about music - "Where is your favorite CD" or "List of CDs on board"

I never opened them because I wasn't looking for info on music (although I did wonder if there was a music library somewhere on board), and it took forever before I figured out that CD referred to CRUISE DIRECTOR ...

I'm sure there are many other examples!!

I specified "mustard drill" because I had just seen it for the 10th time and it made me nuts, but the thread morphed into a "this is what makes me nuts" one, and I'm glad it did! Actually, the admins of this forum changed my original title, which was "not really a question..." - I think they added "cruise jargon" so that this wouldn't be in violation of their stated policy of not allowing corrections in posters' spelling, grammar, etc. Suited me fine, so long as they allowed this thread to continue! :)

BTW... "Boat" is perfectly acceptable when refering (sic) to a ship.

It's just a term of endearment that has been used by mariners for ages, and in the age of "the only way to cross" it was commonly used by passengers and officers/crew alike.

I'll second this. We have a friend, retired US Navy, (USNA graduate) who won't cruise because he wants to know who is "driving the boat" and he has referred to himself as a "boat driver".

While I've seen mention of inappropriate use of apostrophes, I've haven't seen my specific pet peeve - menu's. As in "Does anyone have menu's from the..." There is NO apostrophe in the plural of menu.

I love this thread. It gives us a chance to vent - without breaking rules and correcting individual posters.

I'll second this. We have a friend, retired US Navy, (USNA graduate) who won't cruise because he wants to know who is "driving the boat" and he has referred to himself as a "boat driver".

While I've seen mention of inappropriate use of apostrophes, I've haven't seen my specific pet peeve - menu's. As in "Does anyone have menu's from the..." There is NO apostrophe in the plural of menu.

I love this thread. It gives us a chance to vent - without breaking rules and correcting individual posters.

Yes, that is a biggie! It's fairly easy to figure out apostrophe usage. If there is implied possession (the girl's mother), or if you are making a contraction (you are = you're). However, there is an exception. If you're using the word "its" to imply possession, as in "the ocean and its vastness" - there would be no apostrophe. I guess it's really NOT that simple!! No wonder people get it wrong! :p

• Administrators
The One That Gets Me Is Capitalizing Every Word Of Sentences Never Punctuating And Typing A Whole Novel To Boot

I never know where the sentences start or end, and it's also very hard for me to read.

Here's something you didn't know: this software is programmed to turn any sentence that is ALL CAPS into the above format. I think every word capitalized instead of ALL CAPS is just a teeny weeny bit easier to read -- although not by much!

Laura

There, their and they're drives me CRAZY!! Contractions are NOT that difficult to master!

No, they're not! What about "it's" instead of "its?" That drives me bonkers, and you see it everywhere. I've even seen "her's" instead of "hers" which is probably worse.

Hi Everyone.

I FINALLY convinced my hubby to go on a cruise, but he's afraid he's going to be bored out of his mind during the "sea days." We're not the type to roast in the sun all day by the pool - I'll look like a lobster inside of 20 mins. :)

We saw that some cruise lines offer classes and lectures during the at sea days. Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean has photography, scrapbooking, travel writing, etc classes? All I can find on the website is kickboxing and rockclimbing - neither of which we're physically capable of. :)

I'd appreciate any info you can give.

This is my biggest pet peeve.

These aren't nouns, they are pronouns, and thus have different rules.

Possession:

His, Hers, Theirs, Ours, Its

Contraction:

He's (he is), She's (she is), They're (they are), We're (we are), and It's (it is)

Just try to keep in mind, if it's two words getting squished into one, use an apostrophe. If it is possessive, it's just one word, and there is no apostrophe!

Thank you for letting me get that one off my chest! :p

Hi Everyone.

I FINALLY convinced my hubby to go on a cruise, but he's afraid he's going to be bored out of his mind during the "sea days." We're not the type to roast in the sun all day by the pool - I'll look like a lobster inside of 20 mins. :)

We saw that some cruise lines offer classes and lectures during the at sea days. Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean has photography, scrapbooking, travel writing, etc classes? All I can find on the website is kickboxing and rockclimbing - neither of which we're physically capable of. :)

I'd appreciate any info you can give.

Welcome to CC Setting Sail. You'll prolly have better luck finding an answer on the Royal Caribbean board. Cheer leaders are usually pretty knowledgeable about their respective lines. Good job on twisting hubby's arm. He'll be booking the next one. :D Good luck.;)

Rep

Well gee wiz, lookie what I stumbled on..

You all, or would that be You'uns?? seem to "get it"

What started out as a play on words that got the OP a little upset is what got my attention.

You see, on our ship, we have a "Mustard Drill" and our cabin attendants are called "Stewart"..

Please feel free to come on over to our thread and check us out..

(In the Floataway Lounge, it is called 10 Reasons not to sail RCCL/MOS (Merged))

We are a fun bunch of folks that just happen to hold the title of largest active thread here on CC.. It all started out just over 2 years ago something like this thread did.. It grew and grew and grew.. We are now over 51,000 posts and still going strong..

I do suggest a few things though, Read a good deal BEFORE you post.. (We have a crack cannon firing squad that blows those that don't get it away) I suggest reading the first 50 or so posts then just read at random until you get close to the current days posts..

We are a fun group and we always welcome anyone who gets it.

(RCCL is aware of our thread, they have taken some of our ideas and put them into the new ship that they are building)

So with that said, come on over, we would love to sea ya...:D

Here's something you didn't know: this software is programmed to turn any sentence that is ALL CAPS into the above format. I think every word capitalized instead of ALL CAPS is just a teeny weeny bit easier to read -- although not by much!

Laura

Laura - Thank you. thank you, thank you!!! I've wondered why some bother to capitalize each word. It isn't as easy to read as 'normal' format, but MUCH easier than ALL caps (I'll admit to not even bothering to read those anymore).

How about people who simply won't use the word "me?" They say things like, "Sally gave Billy and I a big lollipop." Ack. Is "ack" bad useage? :p

HAHAHA!!! :D

I -adore- your username. Sublime. :p

I just spent way too much time reading this post. I've forgotten what I was looking for. Or would it be I forgot for what I was looking?:p

Why yes, yes it would. But it sounds goofy, doesn't it?? :D

• Administrators
Why yes, yes it would. But it sounds goofy, doesn't it?? :D

And goofiness is something up with which we will not put! :D

I never forget that sometimes technically correct grammar can become pedantry, but I do find this thread very fun to read and join in!

From the "heresy" department -- I know that splitting infinitives is a bad thing -- but I also think the convoluted sentences we construct in order to avoid doing so sound just as irritating as the split infinitive! I'm not opposed to an occasional "to boldly go!" I also think sometimes a dangling preposition isn't a big deal (though a dangling "at" makes me twitch -- as in "Where's the buffet at?" <twitch>). My mother (who was also a teacher like me) always answered questions like that with "Behind the at" and to this day I have to bite my tongue not to say that to strangers! ;)

Ok, glg, I didn't know how to take the sailed thing off my signature! (but I sure did figure it out before I posted here again!!) --or at least I think I did as I haven't seen my post yet!

Thank you so much to the "post"er who mentioned split infinitives!! For the life of me I could not think of what the technical name was for the infraction in that commercial! Here's the other thing I am always called out on, I use large words. I don't really think they are big words, but many times I don't know smaller words to use that are correct. I know my kids would tease the living daylights out of me for using the word infraction!! I guess I could have said mistake, but that's really not the right word, is it? Infraction just seems "righter"!

Katie

Laura

Thank you! I really wondered why folks went to all that trouble. Yes, it is a bit easier to read than all caps, but then I don't even try and read those. I have to say though, every word capitalized would be much easier if there was a bit of punctuation. It really does make me cringe to think what those posts would look like before the software turns them that way. ;)

Archived