Not really a question...Cruise Jargon

CFitzRN

I am fit to be tied or would that be tied to be fit This thread has morphed into something rather entertaining and I thank you for that

Yes I am having some fun here as well You see what I am saying cause I axed for damadas on that

(No lie folks, I was asked in a restaurant it I wanted "Damada's" on a sandwich, now back to the other "me") I figgered I would add some of my pet peeves on grammar even though I am not the most perfect in this department

For starters run on sentences with no punctuation as in this example axed instead of asked can you "see" what I am saying No I can't see anything however I do hear you

Yes go ahead and flame me however just remember I am just playing here with some of the things that you all have listed as getting under your skin

and just to be fair here are a few things I have left out You all get the task of putting them into the right places

,,..,..!?..,.:D

(Great morph on the thread y'all)

That phrase "you know what I'm sayin'" (only it's usually said so fast and so often during a sentence that one has no time to actually respond) can drive a person to drink.

Christy, I agree with you 100%..

Even worse is, "You see what I am saying"?

• 4 years later...
How about those who post a singular noun/subject with a plural verb??:eek:

Let's see if I can correctly recall conjugation:

I do have

You do have

he/she/it does have

we do have

they do have

The question should be "Does Princess have", right???:rolleyes:

This is a difference in american and british english, and not an error. In America we consider company names as singular nouns, but in britain they are considered plural. So if you're an american it's "does princess have" and if you're british it's "do princess have".

HAHA! I LOVE this thread! :p

I rant when I hear or read "preventative", or "orientated"!

(We don't say "attentative", or "correctative", do we?)

But unfortunately, English is a "living language", and over the course of time and increasingly common misuse, these will become legitimate words in the future. (If they are not already!) :rolleyes:

My other pet peeve is that here in British Columbia, we have our Provincial Government up to their armpits advocating the Death Of The Adverb.

Our Insurance Corporation of BC has a program called "Drive Safe BC",

and the principal arm for safety in the workplace is "Work Safe BC".

So you must drive safe! Not safely.

Cheers! :)

It's (it is):

• etc, not ect - as the abbreviation for etcetera;
  • voila, not viola or vwala - the French for "here is", or "lo and behold";
  • off the bus, not off of the bus (the "of " is redundant)
  • Jimmy and I went - not Jimmy and me went;
  • He gave it to Jimmy and me - not He gave it to Jimmy and I;
  • Fewer people - not less people; (If you can count it, use "fewer"; if you can measure it, use "less".)

Culturally, the US uses "oriented", while either "oriented" or "orientated" is correct in the UK.

This is fun! Growing up with a grandmother who was obsessive about spelling and grammar made me a compulsive proof-reader! :)

Many come to mind but this one drives me absolutely batty!

...I could care less... should be ...I couldn't care less...:p

Repsol

But isn't "Couldn't Care Less" a mild Double negative (Not and Less)? When you say you could care less, means that you don't care and any more would be less?

Could Care Less seems to be appropriate for someone who doesn't really care.

And I hate DINNING ROOM. I believe the rule is if the Vowel is a Long Vowel, you do not double it. If it is a short vowel, double it. Dine to Dining. Wine to Wining. Win to Winning. Swim to Swimming. And so on.

That would be culs-de-sac. Which reminds me of a few other plurals.

Sisters-in-law not sister-in-laws

Seargents-Major not Seargent-Majors

Proofs of purchase not proof of purchases

Rep:p

Haven't gotten to the end of this thread yet, but . . .

Sargeants-Major not Seargents-Major.

:) :) :)

Also a good book is "The Great Typo Hunt" about two post college age men. They travelled around the country correcting improper apostrophes, misspellings, and other "typos". They were arrested for defacing a(n) historic sign at the Grand Canyon, and had to pay a $25000 fine.

And one more, not really having anything to do with cruising, but gets to me everytime.

I have been told that I am wrong but it seems like when someone Comments for a living (TV or print) that they should be a Commentor not a Commentator. The extra syllable just seems redundant and is describing a Potato.

Maybe it comes from the UK? But it grates (greats) on me.

And one more, not really having anything to do with cruising, but gets to me everytime.

I have been told that I am wrong but it seems like when someone Comments for a living (TV or print) that they should be a Commentor not a Commentator. The extra syllable just seems redundant and is describing a Potato.

Maybe it comes from the UK? But it grates (greats) on me.

Ah, a common tater?

I was always amused by a sign on a door in one hospital I once worked in. The physiotherapist's door had large writing and someone obviously had not thought well when they labelled the door. They split the word "Physiotherapist" into 2 lines. The first line read PHYSIO and the rest of the word was on the second line. (Think about it!) :eek:

This thread is great and very entertaining, while still getting a point across. Maybe it should be at the top of each board?!? When I see such errors as mentioned in stores and ads, I want to ask who proofread this?!?!

But many people nowadays don't proof read.

I was told by one of my children's teachers that "Spelling doesn't matter that much. It's more important for them to be able to express themselves."

I flipped and told her that it did matter and that poor spelling later in life would destroy their credibility in any technical paper.

Two more from different threads today:

• "I shutter to think . . . " - Should be shudder, not shutter.
  • "It was so fun . . " - Should be "such fun", or "so much fun", or even just "fun". Fun is a noun, not an adjective - where you can say "It was so easy" because "easy" is an adjective, "It was so fun" makes no more sense than saying "It was so elephant."

Pedantic rant over! ;)

This thread is great and very entertaining, while still getting a point across. Maybe it should be at the top of each board?!? When I see such errors as mentioned in stores and ads, I want to ask who proofread this?!?!

This is the first time I've seen this thread (and it started in 2008!) so I'll have to read all 13 pages when I have more time. My first full time job was proofreading for an advertising agency. It does drive me crazy when I see typos, especially when it's on a TV screen (during a newscast) or in a newspaper article. I've been ragging on the local school districts "Social Media Director," who has been making several mistakes since she was hired at the beginning of the year (besides my belief that her salary could have paid for several new computers in classrooms). She even misspelled the name of the middle school that my daughter had attended. But even more amazing, the school that she should have indicated was an elementary school!

Anyway, one of my major pet peeves is when people use "choose," instead of "chose." And "loose," instead of "lose." People, you can lose your loose change. (I don't know if someone harped on this in any previous posts)

Another one:

"Give free reign to . . . " and "Give free rain to . . . "

It should be "Give free rein to . . ."

The expression came from the days when more people rode horses. You control a horse with a rein - you can keep it on a tight rein (under close control) or give it free rein (let the horse decide the pace and direction).

But many people nowadays don't proof read.

I was told by one of my children's teachers that "Spelling doesn't matter that much. It's more important for them to be able to express themselves."

I flipped and told her that it did matter and that poor spelling later in life would destroy their credibility in any technical paper.

My child's teacher told me the same thing when she was in elementary school!

Love it, love it, love it. My name is Sarah and I'm a grammar geek!

When someone tells me that punctuation isn't important I ask them to punctuate the following:

woman without her man is nothing

Men tend to go for: Woman, without her man, is nothing.

Woman tend to say: Woman: without her, man is nothing.

Now telll me punctuation isn't important :D

Archived