Not really a question...Cruise Jargon

CFitzRN

And one more, not really having anything to do with cruising, but gets to me everytime.

I have been told that I am wrong but it seems like when someone Comments for a living (TV or print) that they should be a Commentor not a Commentator. The extra syllable just seems redundant and is describing a Potato.

Maybe it comes from the UK? But it grates (greats) on me.

I'm with you!

HAHA! I have that conversation with my wife all the time! But "commentator" has become entrenched in our language as has "preventative".

How about "Alls I know....."

another pet peeve.

• 3 weeks later...

"Concrete" sidewalk - not "cement" sidewalk (cement will blow away in a high wind)

You "place" concrete - not "pour" concrete.

Concrete "cures" - not dries.

All of the above probably not used very often on a cruise ship.

So it goes.

DDWW

One of my father's favorite rants was the use of "healthy" instead of "healthful" -as in: "Where can I go on the ship to get some healthy food?

Things are healthful (i.e., good for one's health). People or other creatures are healthy (i.e., in a state of good health).

well this has been fun! my kids called their grandmother conan the grammarian!. i grew up hearing "turkeys are done,people are finished". to this day it hurts my ears to hear people say they are done. on the boards i cringe at quite when the poster means quiet and vice versa.

Here's my biggie:

I see (now)

I saw (yesterday)

I have seen (at some point)

It is never: I seen. I hear tv people saying this all the time! I hate it!

I do love that little quip: turkeys are done, people are finished. I'll have to remember that!!!:D

Many come to mind but this one drives me absolutely batty!

...I could care less... should be ...I couldn't care less...:p

Repsol

This one drives me nuts too. If you say " I could care less" it means that you care some because you are able to care less. The proper way, saying "I couldn't care less" means you do not care at all, so you could not care any less than that.

It`s a chaise longue (pronounced chayz long-with-a-hard-g). Translated from French, it`s a long chair. It`s not a chaise lounge (pronounced chayz lownj). You can lounge around on your long chair if you want though.

And while I`m at it, that cold potato soup, vicheyssoise, is pronounced vishyschwaz. Not vichyschwaw.

(Please pardon my strange apostrophes. My French keyboard kicks in when it gets emotional.)

It`s a chaise longue (pronounced chayz long-with-a-hard-g). Translated from French, it`s a long chair. It`s not a chaise lounge (pronounced chayz lownj). You can lounge around on your long chair if you want though.

And while I`m at it, that cold potato soup, vicheyssoise, is pronounced vishyschwaz. Not vichyschwaw.

(Please pardon my strange apostrophes. My French keyboard kicks in when it gets emotional.)

And it's spelled Vichyssoise! One of my favorite soups.

This is a great thread. I have only had time to read the first and last pages and so many of my pet peeves are there. I am very sorry that spelling and grammar are not important in today's schools. One I haven't seen is the habit of putting an S on the restaurant name. Like Muranos on Celebrity. It's Murano.

But many people nowadays don't proof read.

I was told by one of my children's teachers that "Spelling doesn't matter that much. It's more important for them to be able to express themselves."

I flipped and told her that it did matter and that poor spelling later in life would destroy their credibility in any technical paper.

When I taught and the "students" would ask me if spelling counted. I would politely point out that if a word is misspelled, then it is now a different word. So the answer would be incorrect.

(Those kids hated me because I was a spelling freak and teaching Science)

I just finished reading this entire thread and all I can say is "wow, these are my peeps"!

When I was taking paralegal classes, one of my instructors was a retired judge. He was a stickler for grammar, punctuation and spelling. After he graded our first papers, he felt the need to have a class in English. He asked if anyone knew what a preposition was. Being a smarta** I raised my hand and answered "Sure! It's something you should never end a sentence with.". He kept glancing at me, trying to determine if I was pulling his leg, or if I was really that stupid!

As for punctuation, I have another gem. Why did the knight kill himself after the lady said to him "I love you my lord"?

Because she sai "I? Love you? My lord!"

This Reply Alert came up on my E-mail. I vaguely remembered it because it started in '08. It made me feel validated about my being so anal with spelling, grammar and pronunciation. It takes me a long time to post anything because of the triple checking for errors, lol. I have finally started to use U and R to shorten my texts on the cell.

I shuuddered when I read that kids are routinely sacrificing proper spelling because of frequent use of texting jargon. :eek:

I'm going to read through this whole thread again to get ideas for lessons. I have started tutoring at a nearby literacy center. I'm teaching Language Arts and, recently, Social Studies. I was asked to start out with basic math :eek:, but eventually it became like the "blind leading the blind" and I asked them to get a separate math tutor. :)

My student is studying for her GED after dropping out of HS in the beginning of her junior year. She's 43 and hasn't been able to get a real job, has never driven or used a computer.

She lives on welfare with her elderly father. When we first started, I found out she didn't own a dictionary. I gave her a 50 cent one from the thrift store next door and a thesaurus from the dollar store. Besides a large list of regular spelling words,we've gone through a whole list of "spelling demons"--homonyms and other commonly confused words, most of which I've seen here. I'm very proud of her for seeking help after al these years. Her writing has constantly improved to the point that, last month, she wrote inspiring paragraphs that the directors copied and posted on the bulletin board.

mapsmith--good for you! My kids had a 4th grade teacher who told them, "I'm a math teacher. I don't NEED to know how to spell".

Keep up the good work! We need teachers who are not totally compartmentalized.

I just finished reading this entire thread and all I can say is "wow, these are my peeps"!

When I was taking paralegal classes, one of my instructors was a retired judge. He was a stickler for grammar, punctuation and spelling. After he graded our first papers, he felt the need to have a class in English. He asked if anyone knew what a preposition was. Being a smarta** I raised my hand and answered "Sure! It's something you should never end a sentence with.". He kept glancing at me, trying to determine if I was pulling his leg, or if I was really that stupid!

As for punctuation, I have another gem. Why did the knight kill himself after the lady said to him "I love you my lord"?

Because she sai "I? Love you? My lord!"

I know a terrific example of why spelling and punctuation is important.

It involves my uncle Jack and a horse. I cannot actually post it because it would be a problem.

I have a handicapped sister in law, who often mixes up her words.

The cutest one, is when she meant to say "time flys".

It came out "flies go."

We all use this phrase in our family now!

How about those who post a singular noun/subject with a plural verb??:eek:

Let's see if I can correctly recall conjugation:

I do have

You do have

he/she/it does have

we do have

they do have

The question should be "Does Princess have", right???:rolleyes:

I AM happy; you ARE tipsy; he IS drunk. :

Maybe odd, but it's worked for me over 70 years. :)

Lol. Such as, "irregardless"?

:) Wait. What?

It only took three minutes for someone to notice?:eek:

There could be a problem with their grade-schooling if they're using your when they meant you're. However, something you don't want to do around here is point that out.:eek:

Archived