Not really a question...Cruise Jargon

CFitzRN

I like this thread!

One that drives me crazy is "I seen that movie" - argh! "I saw that movie"!

I can not believe that I didn't think of that one. It is definitely in my top 5. I cringe (visibly) every time I hear it used that way. I swear, this being a stickler for correct grammar is a CURSE! A CURSE I tell you!

For us, the incorrect use of less/fewer is the one that sounds like fingernails down a blackboard.

YES! The sign at the grocery store that says "10 items or less" is painful each and every time.

Here's my complaint: It is height, heigtTH.

God Bless the nurses . . . and the people who walk through life perfectly unperturbed by improper English and poor grammar! :p

Hey, as long as you are complimenting us, you can mess up whatever you want. :p

Thanks! In fact I was just talking about taking an English class to brush up on all the stuff I forgot from 25 years ago! :D

I do think there is a difference in intentionally spelling words incorrectly (as in 'soooo') and when one just doesn't know. Or, maybe it could be that they do not care. Sooooooo there!! Know what I mean, Vern???

Cudja be a little more pacific.

No, you don't understand! To survive nursing school is such an amazing thing. The entire experience is different than most other educational undertakings. CFRITZ I am soooooo happy for you! Congratulations and welcome to the ranks!:D

I've been gone all day and part of this next morning (it's 1:42 a.m. where I am) and I've been thinking about this thread the whole time. It's soooooo much fun!

I hope everyone realized I *did* understand, and was just having a bit of fun with CFitz? There was a wink at the end of my comment. Thankfully, CFitz understood. :D

• Administrators

A common grammatical error that bugs me is seeing "a lot" written as one word -- "alot." "There are alot of people at this mustard drill," for instance. :D I don't know where that one started; I first noticed it about 20 years ago, and now it appears on lists of frequently misspelled words in elementary school, so it's a very common mistake.

To stay sort of on topic with a cruise-related one (I say cruise-related because I've never seen this particular one apart from CC): "Does the cabin have enough draws for clothes?" I had to read a whole thread the first time I saw that to figure out they meant drawERS. I've seen that one several times now, and I always wonder how that particular error got started.

To the OP, congratulations on graduation!

Ok, here's one "There kids got orientated before the mustard drill and put they're close in the draw! Do use guys get that?"

ARGH, it really is a curse! Sorry to those who found this post excruciating to read! ;)

Katie

I've seen this posted....

"Prolly" instead of "probably"

Now -that- is simply a slang term originated from texting and instant messaging. It's just faster to type prolly! Funny, I don't have much trouble stomaching the text slang. Prolly cuz I hav 3 teen sons who hav cell fones & text me all teh tim. :p

I used to have problems with txt typ, but I got so much flack 4 it, I caved! So, you're right, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as syntax errors! (however, it must be on a celly! not on a handwritten or email message!)

Katie

Many come to mind but this one drives me absolutely batty!

...I could care less... should be ...I couldn't care less...:p

Repsol

This quote is about the only one that really drives me batty. I'm glad to know that there is at least one other person out there that understands that if you "COULD" care less, then you must somewhat care. If you "COULD NOT" care less, then you do not care at all, so how could you care less...

ok, I am PMSing as well, "used to" refers to something that was not the "two of you" sense, scents, and cents are not interchangeable, and there is no such word as sence or scence or scense, and finally it never was and never will be "orientated"--it's oriented! Ah, that feels so much better! And I am also subscribing to this list--hopefully it won't get pulled! Proper English rocks!

Katie

OOOH, "used to" is a big one for me. It's not "use to".

Incorrect: Me and my DW will be going on our first cruise.

Correct: My DW and "I" will be going on our first cruise.

Or "My DW and me" ... equally common and equally incorrect.

When I hear such statements, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard...:rolleyes:

BTW... "Boat" is perfectly acceptable when refering to a ship.

It's just a term of endearment that has been used by mariners for ages, and in the age of "the only way to cross" it was commonly used by passengers and officers/crew alike.

"We are taking the boat across..."

I've read the memoirs of many captains and commodores, refering to their commands as boats...

if it's good enough for them... ;)

From another "fellow" nurse....there is NO such word as irregardless. It is simply regardless.....no need for the "ir"!!!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! THAT is MY pet peeve! My friends kid me about it by saying it as often as they can fit it in a sentence!

I go to a drive through, and the voice says, "How may I take your order?". Believe me, I want to tell her HOW to take an order.

Then when I tell her what I'd like, she says, "that will be $xx TO the first window".

URGGGG!

And then there is lay and lie!

Or "My DW and me" ... equally common and equally incorrect.

When I hear such statements, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard...:rolleyes:

BTW... "Boat" is perfectly acceptable when refering to a ship.

It's just a term of endearment that has been used by mariners for ages, and in the age of "the only way to cross" it was commonly used by passengers and officers/crew alike.

"We are taking the boat across..."

I've read the memoirs of many captains and commodores, refering to their commands as boats...

if it's good enough for them... ;)

True, dat. My husband was a submarine officer and always referred to the sub as "the boat". "Das Boot" (sp?) was about a submarine crew, wasn't it? And I assume "Das Boot" is German for "The Boat".

LOL!!! Today I met with some nursing school classmates to learn our pledge for pinning. We were each to write one of the sentences then try to teach that particular sentence to the group by passing on each paper to the next person for them to learn it, then write another one, etc. and we repeated it several times always writing a difference sentence (this is hard to explain). We said it aloud first. One of the sentences has the word "utmost" in it. One of my classmates said the word as "upmost" and I jokingly corrected her - they all know me as the spelling/grammar/vocabulary n.a.z.i. And they love me anyway - I'm lucky. So as we began passing our sheets around, I saw that EVERY.SINGLE.ONE of my butthead classmates had written "upmost" just for me. AAAUUUGGHHH!!! :p :p :p

A common grammatical error that bugs me is seeing "a lot" written as one word -- "alot." "There are alot of people at this mustard drill," for instance. :D I don't know where that one started; I first noticed it about 20 years ago, and now it appears on lists of frequently misspelled words in elementary school, so it's a very common mistake.

To stay sort of on topic with a cruise-related one (I say cruise-related because I've never seen this particular one apart from CC): "Does the cabin have enough draws for clothes?" I had to read a whole thread the first time I saw that to figure out they meant drawERS. I've seen that one several times now, and I always wonder how that particular error got started.

To the OP, congratulations on graduation!

Thank you! And I think "draws" is sort of a regional thing. I hear that a lot here in the south, but only in certain areas. It's funny!

I thought of another one! "The point is mute". It's MOOT! "MOOT"! :D

• Administrators
I just watched a cruise show on the Travel Channel and I swear they called it "MUSTARD" and not "MUSTER"..hmmm....

I know EXACTLY the scene you are referring to...some cruise expert I've never heard of.......

Laura

" Where is the car?" NOT "Where is the car at?" You need to leave off the at,

All this time I thought I was the only one paying attention in 5th grade ... you know, the class they taught you never to end a question with a preposition .... Thanks for paying attention with me!

Here is another one we will start seeing more of this time of year (graduation time). People spell the word congradulations but there is not a "d" in the word. Why do you think you see it abbreviated as congrats???

Archived