From Mariner to Grandeur?

DH and I have only been on one cruise (Mariner Western last year) and are going on a Mariner Eastern this year. I am looking/planning for next year and see that the prices for the Freedom are way more. So I am looking at the Grandeur out of Tampa - we could do a 10 night for about the same (or less!) than a 7 on the Freedom.

So after all this rambling :rolleyes:, my question is - how does the Grandeur compare? We love the Mariner, but don't really use many of the facilities - we relax, spend a lot of time on our balcony, etc. I am just looking for what might be deal breakers.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

If you want all the "bells and whistles" of a Voyager class ship (ice skating, mini golf for example) then the Grandeur is not for you. We happen to love the Grandeur. It's a manageable size with an excellent staff. It offers a number of good lounge options, but does not have a specialty restaurant (no Chops or Portofino), which is not an issue for us because we've always found the dining room quite good. If you're more into the relaxing part of cruising rather than the "gotta be active all the time" mindset, I think you'll enjoy Grandeur.

DH and I have only been on one cruise (Mariner Western last year) and are going on a Mariner Eastern this year. I am looking/planning for next year and see that the prices for the Freedom are way more. So I am looking at the Grandeur out of Tampa - we could do a 10 night for about the same (or less!) than a 7 on the Freedom.

So after all this rambling :rolleyes:, my question is - how does the Grandeur compare? We love the Mariner, but don't really use many of the facilities - we relax, spend a lot of time on our balcony, etc. I am just looking for what might be deal breakers.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I was on both ships, the Grandeur two years ago and the Mariner one month ago. Of course, the Mariner has more amenities, is larger and newer, but the Grandeur has everything you're looking for in a cruise right now. I would love to sail on the Grandeur again and am looking into the Baltimore cruises for next year. She's a beautiful ship with a 9 or 10 night itinerary to boot.

I have done both and would go back on the Grandeur again in a second..I LOVE the Mariner and really thought I would miss the use of the Consierge Lounge but I didn't. Grandeur is a small ship and at hte end of 4 fabulous days I felt like I had a whole new family!

Go for it!

:) I've gone on both and really enjoyed the mariner more but if you are looking for mostly relaxation and not amenities then you'll be fine on the grandeur. I guess when I look back there's nothing that jumped out at me that I loved like on the mariner. That of course is a matter of personal preference. I think I could love any cruise at the moment.....It really can be what you make of it. Whatever you choose have a wonderful time.

We've also sailed both and as beautiful as the Mariner is she just wasn't our "cup of tea" Too much like a floating hotel. We enjoyed the Grandeur enough that we booked a 10 day cruise on her for this Dec and are really looking forward to it.:D

I have to agree with Janet524. I also have been on both and it really depends on what you want to do. I wouldn't hesitate to cruise either one again.

My only suggestion is get yourself an AFT stateroom. They are the BEST ever! The huge balcony, the VIEW, the wake, etc......is unforgetable........

Have a Great and Safe Cruise.

The Grandeur has just about everything I want ... an outside promenade that goes all the way aorund the ship on deck 5 and a solarium. She also has one of the best crews I've encountered. It doesn't sound like you would really miss the ice rink or mini-golf anyway.

Thanks for all the info - it's something to think about. We love the Mariner and will be on her again this December, and would happily take her again in 2009, but of course she's moving to California. We drive to Florida so could do Tampa as easily as Port Canaveral.

I would imagine we would like the Freedom, but the prices for 2009 are way more than this year, or does it just seem that way to me? That's why I started looking at other ships out of Florida.

Of course, trying to get an opinion from DH for a cruise in December of 2009 just isn't going to happen :rolleyes:

Archived